Author Topic: DSL vs. cable internet?  (Read 4396 times)

Logikal X

• Fine as dandelions
    • MSN Messenger - tqhx@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - tqhx
    • View Profile
DSL vs. cable internet?
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2004, 06:21:33 am »
DSL and Cable are both ALWAYS on, unless you opt to shut DSL down or log out which is now possible with some DSL companies.  A standard DSL bandwidth for 30 bucks a month is 144K ,  Cable internet is standardized at 344K.   Will and Andrew are correct that in remote locations DSL may be a bad choice, however DSL tends to be a more steady connection, whereas a Cable connection speed tends to fluctuate (plus come cable companies suck and your internet goes down twice a month grrrr)  Overall i would choose whichever is cheaper unless you do extreme amounts of downloading then cable is a better option.  The speed difference isnt noticeable when just web browsing or chatting oni AIM though.
Quote from: "ReSpektDaFrenziedEVanesSa"
But I have to say I love the feeling of anything going up my butt, it just drives me wild.

vt

• You aren't tryin'
    • AOL Instant Messenger - vt92490
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - vahram924
    • View Profile
DSL vs. cable internet?
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2004, 01:02:25 pm »
I have cable, and it's awesome!! I used to have SBC DSL but I must say, the cable service is much, much faster.

Plus, the cool thing with a cable connection is, whenever you turn your comp on, it's already connected, so there's no annoying software or anything.  With DSL, I had to manually connect to the internet every time.

Logikal X

• Fine as dandelions
    • MSN Messenger - tqhx@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - tqhx
    • View Profile
DSL vs. cable internet?
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2004, 07:41:03 am »
ugh my parents have dsl, im staying there two weeks but i need the stupid software.....If you ever get DSL make sure there is NONE OF THAT CRAP ARGH hehehe
Quote from: "ReSpektDaFrenziedEVanesSa"
But I have to say I love the feeling of anything going up my butt, it just drives me wild.

tylor2000

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • View Profile
DSL vs. cable internet?
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2004, 08:43:55 am »
I keep switching back and forth between dial-up and broadband as I use other people's computers(with their permission.)  I'll be using dial-up, convince them on cable internet, and then move.  Charter's should have me in their employ.

tylor

Laura

• Keepin' secrets at midnight
    • View Profile
DSL vs. cable internet?
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2004, 11:28:57 am »
I am getting DSL in two freaking weeks! w00t

It is about damn time to! We haven't been able to get it in the area we're at now for some crazy reason, but we're moving in two weeks & we get it there! yay!

I HATE HATE HATE HATE Dial-up!!!

Will

• Moderators
  • Fine as dandelions
  • Advanced anti-spam registrations filter
    • View Profile
DSL vs. cable internet?
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2004, 11:33:41 am »
Both cable and DSL are susceptible to slow downs due to the neccessary oversubscription of consumer internet access which makes the services affordable. The reason why cable gets such a bad rap is that there is shared bandwidth in a node where the phone line in DSL is dedicated until you reach the DSLAM. Upstream, bandwidth is still shared in both technologies.
"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." -Ozzy Osborne

emmy

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • ICQ Messenger - 62879091
    • MSN Messenger - emilyct84@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - ieatpijunz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ceruleantown.com/
DSL vs. cable internet?
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2004, 01:24:50 pm »
heh they dont even have DSL where I live... and we got cable and its fast, but apparently goes down a lot.  We got a nasty buttcrack showing repair dude from the company to come and attempt to fix it, and he was severely incompetant and didn't do much.  We're just unlucky I suppose...

katiakaysha: I MUST DO MY PEEPEES