Author Topic: Mini review of the album  (Read 15205 times)

eclv

• Moderators
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Let aka NESSAholic
    • MSN Messenger - Let+B24@aol.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Let+B24
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Mini review of the album
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2011, 10:22:27 pm »
You just have to remember that everyone is entitled to their opinion. We're here because we love and support her to no end. I don't care what anyone else's opinion is. Same goes with movies. I like to have my own. There is no sense in arguing with anyone, stay drama free. It was put out there, the word was spread over there. Those who want to hear will listen and buy the album or they won't.

Nh.com was built to avoid spammers, negativity etc. Let's keep it that way. They have their home to love AM (I love her too, btw) but it's best to stay out of it.

We all know V doesn't make music to be famous, she does it because she loves it.

sarab

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
  • Wolves howl to a moon and she never answers back
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2011, 10:35:15 pm »
thanks for the words :)  that's one reason I didn't respond right away because I knew the anger would pass and reason would come back to me.  I like all sorts of music too, but I do get upset when people attack others on a personal level.  Plus I'm very hot-headed at times (ask my husband, lol).  I took a personal offense to it because I identify with Vanessa on a lot of things in her music and I can't understand why others don't! eh, just me being me which is not liking when others don't like and tear down what I love.
~Sara~

sarab

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
  • Wolves howl to a moon and she never answers back
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2011, 11:10:03 pm »
just to clarify as well... I was joking when I said lets go cuss them out.  Like I said, after the initial anger wore off, I'm reasonable enough to understand that people have different opinions.  I was angered by someone saying she is a bitch.  I was angered when people put down all three of her albums because I feel they are equally wonderful, but in their own unique ways.  Someone said she has shown no growth, which is BULL honkey if you ask me.  But that's just the thing, like you said eclv, we all have our own opinions, I just don't always appreciate when others don't agree with me hehehe  ;D 
~Sara~

alanisrox69

• You're a Genuine Wannabe
    • AOL Instant Messenger - fan1alanis219
    • View Profile
mh
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2011, 12:00:00 am »
Yikes. Let's pray and hope for the best. The tracks that stand out most to me are Bride, Dear California, The Marching Line, and In The End.

If the analog sound is as bad as the reviewer said, it would've been nice if Nessa recorded in regular studio quality for certain songs. I would really like to hear Bride as an upbeat pop track for radio (even though it's perfect as it is, but I'd still like to hear it played on mainstream stations if you know what I mean?)

OK, to throw this topic back on track.

I'll add that it's not only the analog sound (which don't get me wrong, totally works on some tracks)...the quality of the songs differs from track to track. You'll go from crisp, clean vocal tracks on one song, to muddy and flat sounding vocals on the next track (and by flat I mean the way the vocals were processed/mixed -- not her singing). It just doesn't flow right. I wonder if they're doing some extra work on the disc before the release....I did notice the advance disc has slightly shorter run times on the songs....and In The End is almost 20 seconds shorter than the Amazon.co.uk listed length (although, who knows how accurate the Amazon.co.uk listing is)....

cassiemoy

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: mh
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2011, 12:13:21 am »
Yikes. Let's pray and hope for the best. The tracks that stand out most to me are Bride, Dear California, The Marching Line, and In The End.

If the analog sound is as bad as the reviewer said, it would've been nice if Nessa recorded in regular studio quality for certain songs. I would really like to hear Bride as an upbeat pop track for radio (even though it's perfect as it is, but I'd still like to hear it played on mainstream stations if you know what I mean?)

OK, to throw this topic back on track.

I'll add that it's not only the analog sound (which don't get me wrong, totally works on some tracks)...the quality of the songs differs from track to track. You'll go from crisp, clean vocal tracks on one song, to muddy and flat sounding vocals on the next track (and by flat I mean the way the vocals were processed/mixed -- not her singing). It just doesn't flow right. I wonder if they're doing some extra work on the disc before the release....I did notice the advance disc has slightly shorter run times on the songs....and In The End is almost 20 seconds shorter than the Amazon.co.uk listed length (although, who knows how accurate the Amazon.co.uk listing is)....

i'm curious to know what you thought about "carousel."
formerly fish_for__stars.

AlexanderLaska

« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2011, 07:48:19 am »
Just remember, there are ridiculous and rude people on EVERY website - I also belong to a Lady Gaga fansite, and Britney Spears fans used to come on our site and bash Gaga 24/7; and then we'd do it to them, and the cycle would continue.  It's sooo not worth it: people should just stick to their artists and their sites and leave everyone else alone.  I also met Vanessa for about .5 seconds, and she definitely wasn't a bitch; she said "hi" to me when she really wasn't obligated to at all (it was at the Ann Taylor mini-concert, RIGHT before she started playing) so whoever's calling her a bitch obviously doesn't know her and is just trying to rile people up.  Regardless of the reason (maybe the person is jealous, maybe he/she's just a sociopath), it's not worth dignifying with any of your attention.  We're better than that :)

Based on the samples we've heard, I think these mini-reviews are pretty solid.  I mean, I enjoy hearing something a little different, but part of me is always going to wish songs like Bride and FWF received a more typical pop production.

ryan9315

• Make me high on lullabies
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2011, 10:22:24 am »
Just wanna add about the whole analog thing, when the previews for Carousel were out, it didn't sound like it was in a studio at all. But the iTunes version does.

Rabbits On The Run is going to be available for preorder on iTunes tomorrow still right? If so, maybe we'll get HQ previews!

Weisz

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2011, 10:51:55 am »
Just wanna add about the whole analog thing, when the previews for Carousel were out, it didn't sound like it was in a studio at all. But the iTunes version does.

Rabbits On The Run is going to be available for preorder on iTunes tomorrow still right? If so, maybe we'll get HQ previews!

tomorrow what?
It's just me....and a drum. brmbrmbrmbrmbrbbrbrbrmmm

Still stars through a window, will they ever know this madness, madness of the

AlexanderLaska

« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2011, 11:55:30 am »

That's definitely true, when I first heard the preview I thought it was too rough-sounding, but the iTunes version sounds very "clean."  I assume this is the same case.

Where did you see that it would be available for pre-order tomorrow?

AisforAdrn

• Your true colors shown
  • Boots on concrete...
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2011, 12:37:10 pm »
I'm super pumped to listen to this on vinyl. I feel like that's how this album should always be listened to. I can just imagine listening to it, record going, sun drenched, loving the summer nights. That may have sounded really lame but that's what I think of, haha.
Peace
Adriann

nosticker

• Your true colors shown
    • AOL Instant Messenger - DanTVFish
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2011, 12:57:17 pm »

There's no such thing as "studio quality" or even "broadcast quality".  Vanessa wanted to record onto tape, much like she probably did on C'est La Vie/Papa.  She could have recorded anywhere she wanted, so obviously this was the sound she wanted, and it cost her more to do so.  2" wide analog tape was the standard for decades.  People still record on tape, and then dump to Pro Tools or Nuendo or Cubase.  I've worked with all of these formats and they do NOT sound the same.  There are pluses and minuses using digital and analog, and yet they both sound great.  There are dozens of things that make an album sound the way it does, from the mics to the room the instruments are recorded in to the mastering.  An album can be messed up at any point, but these days, it's usually digitally squashed to death during mastering or even mixing.

Dan

coyote_revolver

• Willing and Able to... Run
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2011, 02:07:33 pm »
The low quality encoding on the amazon samples masks the details of the tracks.

That makes sense, but I remember thinking that the carousel preview on amazon sounded really grainy while the real one sounds nice...so if I stick by that logic then the songs will sound even better than they do on the previews? lolz

lilwizardman_gelo

• View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2011, 02:14:15 pm »
Well from what i hear on the Amazon clips "In the End" sounds amazing... and creepy. It gave me a bizarre nightmare a slow acid-trippy like nightmare. But i love all the clips. And i was lucky enough to hear IDWBAB in Starbucks on the last day of school *.* hee hee hee
~Our minds hold the chaos that started everything~

ryan9315

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2011, 02:36:49 pm »
I read somewhere that the preorder it would be available for preorder on iTunes on May 31st. Let me try and look it up.

ryan9315

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2011, 02:38:47 pm »
I guess I saw it on the website because that's where it's taking me on Google, but it doesn't show it anymore though.

If you want to see it on google though: http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&hl=en&source=hp&q=vanessa+carlton+itunes+preorder+may+31&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=9b40c92e3693f9d6&biw=1082&bih=699

If that doesn't work, google "Vanessa Carlton iTunes preorder May 31"