Author Topic: Michelle Branch  (Read 282053 times)

nosticker

• Your true colors shown
    • AOL Instant Messenger - DanTVFish
    • View Profile
Michelle Branch
« Reply #1230 on: January 17, 2006, 12:49:20 am »
Are people saying that Shanks over-produces?  That's the impression I get, and I don't agree.  I do think that a lot of what he has done is interchangeable.  Alanis' last album sounds like a Meech album with Alanis singing.  However, I heard a track he produced for Melissa Etheridge(he was her guitarist at one point), and I was surprised at how restrained everything sounded, including the vocal.

I doubt that he would have had nothing to do with the album.  He is one of the hottest producers working, and I'm sure WB insisted on his involvement.

Man, after all this, I hope this new album is worth it!

Dan/NS

Michelle Branch
« Reply #1231 on: January 17, 2006, 05:14:41 pm »
Quote from: "nosticker"
Are people saying that Shanks over-produces?  That's the impression I get, and I don't agree.  I do think that a lot of what he has done is interchangeable.  Alanis' last album sounds like a Meech album with Alanis singing.  However, I heard a track he produced for Melissa Etheridge(he was her guitarist at one point), and I was surprised at how restrained everything sounded, including the vocal.

I doubt that he would have had nothing to do with the album.  He is one of the hottest producers working, and I'm sure WB insisted on his involvement.

Man, after all this, I hope this new album is worth it!

Dan/NS

I, for one, don't have anything against Shanks personally, I just prefer Michelle's songs when they sound the way she wants them to as opposed to the way they can be best marketed.  For example, I think the slow acoustic version of "All You Wanted" that Michelle seems to prefer is much, much better than that peppy pop/rock thing on TSR.

Shanks is good at what he does, I just think Michelle's (and I think The Wreckers will fall into this category too, because they were great live) songs sound more emotional and powerful when she performs them live (her way) than when a producer makes them more homoganized or 'radio friendly.'

That's why I hope the girls were more involved in the production on SSLP and no big 'hit makers' got their hands on the songs.  But that's just me.

Judging by what Weiser said about "Lay Me Down," I don't think there was any 'overproduction' going on even if Shanks was involved.  I'm sure he's just as capable of making their vision come to life as he is of turning all their songs into radio hits.

jessicaweiser

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
Michelle Branch
« Reply #1232 on: January 17, 2006, 06:51:40 pm »
Shanks didn't produce "lay me down," John Levanthal did. Shades is right in saying that Shanks was not involved in the album, with the exception of one song, I think. The album has a totally different feel/sound than anything you've ever heard Michelle do. This is a good thing. No Shanks=good for this project.

I think Shanks has a very distinct style and it's easy to tell which songs he produced when you hear them on the radio. Without even knowing who produced an album I can tell if Shanks, The Matrix, [insert current popular producers] produced it when I hear a song on the radio :) I do think some of his stuff is overproduced, but it's a style that works for top 40 radio.

nosticker

• Your true colors shown
    • AOL Instant Messenger - DanTVFish
    • View Profile
Michelle Branch
« Reply #1233 on: January 17, 2006, 07:06:01 pm »
Sorry to get O/T, but when are we getting another Jessica Weiser CD?

Dan/NS

jessicaweiser

• View Profile
Michelle Branch
« Reply #1234 on: January 17, 2006, 07:11:53 pm »
Quote from: "nosticker"
Sorry to get O/T, but when are we getting another Jessica Weiser CD?

Dan/NS

Never  :lol:

I don't know :( I have had a lot of shit happen in the last year... you would think that would inspire me to write, eh? It has really done the opposite. I'm really concentrating on photography right now and my job is insane busy and I don't have a lot of time for music these days. But I'm convinced that the music will come when the time is right. That is how it has happened in the past anyway... Hope you are doing well Dan:)

Michelle Branch
« Reply #1235 on: January 18, 2006, 08:55:36 am »
Quote from: "jessicaweiser"
The album has a totally different feel/sound than anything you've ever heard Michelle do.

What do you mean by this?  Do you mean it doesn't sound like Michelle's other albums or it doesn't sound like her at all?  :?

In Chicago, I didn't think they sounded too much different than how Michelle sounds solo.  Maybe more floksy and a little less rockin'.  But it seemed like a pretty natural progression based on her previous stuff to me.  

Then again, I'm so tone deaf I can't even tap my foot to "Happy Birthday," so what the hell do I know. :D

...I guess I do know one thing, I know that whatever they were doing, I really liked it.    :thumbsup:

jessicaweiser

• View Profile
Michelle Branch
« Reply #1236 on: January 18, 2006, 12:46:57 pm »
I mean style-wise it's different. It's not a big pop/rock record with big choruses and punchy vocals, etc. It's stripped down a bit and it's different. And M's voice sounds amazing on it...better than her other records, I think. I personally think it's because the way it was recorded... maybe less auto-tune like our friend John Shanks likes to use ;)

missbehavior

• Willing and Able to... Run
    • View Profile
Michelle Branch
« Reply #1237 on: January 18, 2006, 12:48:22 pm »
Someone should tell them to fix this on their MySpace:
Thanks for visiting the official Myspace page of The Wreckers Please note that the girls does not mantain this account or read the messages sent to it.

It makes it look like a poorly made fan page :D

Michelle Branch
« Reply #1238 on: January 18, 2006, 01:48:50 pm »
Quote from: "jessicaweiser"
I mean style-wise it's different. It's not a big pop/rock record with big choruses and punchy vocals, etc. It's stripped down a bit and it's different. And M's voice sounds amazing on it...better than her other records, I think. I personally think it's because the way it was recorded... maybe less auto-tune like our friend John Shanks likes to use ;)

:mrgreen:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :mrgreen:

The more you say about this album the more excited I'm getting.  EVERYTHING you say up there is EXACTLY how I always wanted a Michelle record to sound like.  That, and the fact that Michelle AND Jess (who I think is a considerably better lyricist) are combining their talents makes me think this could be my favorite album ever (although it will be hard-pressed to knock Harmonium off that pedestal).

The girls should fire all of their PR people and hire you! :lol:

Then again, saying, "it's not a big pop/rock thing..." probably would hamper sales, not increase them.  Oh well, you sure as hell are good at selling the album to people who prefer substance over sensationalism like me. :D

I hope Michelle and Jess's next solo albums follow this trend!

Michelle Branch
« Reply #1239 on: January 21, 2006, 08:29:15 am »
Is anyone else starting to get annoyed by the color of Michelle's hair?  She and Jess just posted a video on their Myspace announcing the first single for SSLP and her hair is still dyed.  I didn't really care when she dyed it that blondish color origianally because I knew it wouldn't stay like that forever, but...

...I LOVE the long black hair!!!!!!!!!!!

:x Lose the MF-ing dye job already.  :evil:

I WANT THE BLACK BACK! :cry:  :cry:  :cry:

I gotta wear shades

• Make me high on lullabies
    • View Profile
Michelle Branch
« Reply #1240 on: January 21, 2006, 03:30:25 pm »
Quote from: "abbottANDcostello"
Is anyone else starting to get annoyed by the color of Michelle's hair?  She and Jess just posted a video on their Myspace announcing the first single for SSLP and her hair is still dyed.  I didn't really care when she dyed it that blondish color originally because I knew it wouldn't stay like that forever, but...

Hmmmm....you seem to be contradicting yourself.  I thought you were all about  the music?

Michelle Branch
« Reply #1241 on: January 22, 2006, 08:29:17 am »
Quote from: "I gotta wear shades"
Quote from: "abbottANDcostello"
Is anyone else starting to get annoyed by the color of Michelle's hair?  She and Jess just posted a video on their Myspace announcing the first single for SSLP and her hair is still dyed.  I didn't really care when she dyed it that blondish color originally because I knew it wouldn't stay like that forever, but...

Hmmmm....you seem to be contradicting yourself.  I thought you were all about  the music?

:lol:  :lol:

That doesn't mean I can't talk about pretty girls...does it?  Of the young, modern female pop acts, I only really enjoy the music of Vanessa and Michelle.  On the contrary, I think a bunch of them are hot.

In my post above I was purely talking about vanity.  If I was talking about music, what I think of her physically wouldn't matter.

Whether she has black hair, blonde hair, or she's straight up bald with an abnormal growth the size of a pineapple on the side of her head, I'm still going to buy her next album.

I've got an old pic of Avril Lavigne on my wall from when she was cute, but you won't find me on an Avril message board.  And I love Ani DiFranco's music, but she's nowhere to be found on my wall.  

I love music, but I am a guy too. :)   Michelle just happens to appeal to both the music fan in me, and the instinct to procreate with the most viable candidate.  :)

I hope this clears me of the hypocrite tag in your eyes.  Normally, I don't really care what others think, but I  :evil: hate :evil:  hypocritical people myself, so that's one trait that I'll put forth the effort to prove I don't possess.   :)

zurielshimon

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • AOL Instant Messenger - weetbixkid36
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/193866568
Michelle Branch
« Reply #1242 on: January 23, 2006, 07:09:28 am »
Holy shit! :lol: I'm so glad you decided to join Nessaholics! :D This shit cracks me up for real!
Dustin

Michelle Branch
« Reply #1243 on: January 29, 2006, 04:05:02 pm »
I wrote an opinion article for my campus newspaper and used Michelle's outburst on TWMB as a springboard. 8)

You can see it here: http://www.uwmleader.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2006/01/25/43d4fa43592c2
 :)

bluebutterfly

• View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/jesster22
Michelle Branch
« Reply #1244 on: January 30, 2006, 02:54:39 am »
can i politely point out a typo? last paragraph...'struggle public'
other than that it's well written  :)