Author Topic: 11/20/2004: The Crocodile Cafe - Seattle, WA (review)  (Read 6544 times)

Otter

• You're a Genuine Wannabe
    • AOL Instant Messenger - LrdDrgn
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - LrdDrgn
    • View Profile
    • Email
11/20/2004: The Crocodile Cafe - Seattle, WA (review)
« on: November 20, 2004, 11:37:27 pm »
[discussion]

Hey everyone,

I'm new, just found out about this place tonight, and here's something to contribute.  :D

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mage_willow/detail?.dir=b9a3&.dnm=490b.jpg

For the life of me I cant get the picture to post in here....oh well, at least you have the url.

Otter

kaysha

• Administrator
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
    • ICQ Messenger - 996740
    • AOL Instant Messenger - katiakaysha
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chickey.org
    • Email
Re: Pic from the concert
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2004, 02:48:33 am »
Quote from: "Otter"
Hey everyone,

I'm new, just found out about this place tonight, and here's something to contribute.  :D

For the life of me I cant get the picture to post in here....oh well, at least you have the url.

Otter
Hey!

I'm pretty sure with yahoo you can't get direct picture links so they're difficult to have them show up.  That link was perfect tho and those pictures were great, thanks for sharing!

I'm really happy you found us, how did you find us?  The show was great tonight, Vanessa was in rare form I think.

The setlist was the usual with Swindler, MS and withOUT Annie and only half of Wreckage.  Some great commentary between songs that we'll have to post later :)

soo tired

ni ni
I <3 Nicole

We want the unicorns to live! - Vanessa Carlton

Alecs

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • View Profile
Re: Pic from the concert
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2004, 06:46:13 am »
Quote from: "katia"
Quote from: "Otter"
Hey everyone,

Otter
Hey!

I'm pretty sure with yahoo you can't get direct picture links so they're difficult to have them show up.  That link was perfect tho and those pictures were great, thanks for sharing!

I'm really happy you found us, how did you find us?  The show was great tonight, Vanessa was in rare form I think.

The setlist was the usual with Swindler, MS and withOUT Annie and only half of Wreckage.  Some great commentary between songs that we'll have to post later :)

soo tired

ni ni

good stuff :wink:
"The crows seemed to be calling his name thought Caw..."

emmy

• ICQ Messenger - 62879091
    • MSN Messenger - emilyct84@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - ieatpijunz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ceruleantown.com/
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2004, 10:20:43 am »
cool pictures, thanks for posting the link :)

katiakaysha: I MUST DO MY PEEPEES

eclv

• Moderators
  • Let aka NESSAholic
    • MSN Messenger - Let+B24@aol.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Let+B24
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2004, 10:31:54 am »
Thanks for coming by and posting your picture.

Katia, you are right she was in rare form in deed. Besides forgetting the words to "The Wreckage" and pulling an Ashlee and just stopping and moving on to ATM. I guess that's not fair cause Ashlee was going to lip sync and walked off Vanessa owned up to it and said she forgot the words, but you know what I mean.

She included random information that she probably shouldn't have shared.

She was very giddy since it's the second to last show. (She was sure to tell us that she wasn't stoned.) And she loves Seattle. How can you not?

She pulled another one over on us by not singing that new line in CLV. So yeah...

It was good times of course, though.

TurnOnTheStars

• Make me high on lullabies
    • AOL Instant Messenger - xTurnOnTheStarsX
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2004, 10:39:02 am »
she forgot the words to wreckage? haha

eclv

• Moderators
  • Let aka NESSAholic
    • MSN Messenger - Let+B24@aol.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Let+B24
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2004, 10:43:32 am »
yeah she forgot the verse about flying in slow motion, and started the first verse again but I seriously didn't know what she was saying. It was funny cause she mentioned how she was speaking another language. She totally was. We were all WTF? When she stopped she said that we probably didn't know what happened but of course, we did. It was funny. But sad. She also said, it happens. I can imagine.

TurnOnTheStars

• Make me high on lullabies
    • AOL Instant Messenger - xTurnOnTheStarsX
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2004, 03:39:21 pm »
Quote from: "eclv"

She included random information that she probably shouldn't have shared.

what information is that?

tylor2000

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2004, 03:42:17 pm »
Many of you already know two to three years ago I rode my bike more than 200 miles to attend a pair of Vanessa Carlton concerts.  This time I did something almost as crazy.  I don't know what it is with me and having  trouble getting to Carlton concerts.  I must be nuts, unlucky, or both; or just foolish. In any case it seems to be a reocurring theme for me.  Hope you enjoy this edition.

I had already attended two concerts in San Francisco and waking up at about 11am, finally at about 2 pm I decided it was time to leave for Seattle.  Leaving ungroomed because I neglected that ealier and someone was in the shower at the time(who always takes forever :wink: ), I finally departed a town somewhat close to San Francisco.  

I had received rough directions on how to get out to interstate I-80. And partly following them eventually made it to the interstate.  Following I-80 east, I then took highway 113 to I-5 north. The first stage to Redding was pretty uneventful.  But I did notice I was getting terrible gas mileage so I tried safely drafting in back of tractor trailer trucks.  I was still getting terrible gas mileage.  When I finally came just past of Redding to fill up I noticed a couple of my tires were way underinflated.  So I spent a dollar inflating them properly.  The place I filled up at were just a bunch of scalpers on gas prices so it took alot to fill up.  Ordinarily my car gets 400 miles per tank but for various reasons my gas mileage seemed to be really much lower than that the whole trip up to Seattle.  The next stage from Redding, California to Eugene, Oregan took forever.  I'd stop at rest stops along the way for sleep as my trip was an overnight trip, but I didn't seem to be able to get any REM type sleep.  I just wouldn't nod off.

(I have to do something else(damn commitments) so I'll be updating this post in a few))

As I said before, Redding to Eugene took forever to converse.  And at times thick fog, which would have made visibility less than 100 feet if people didn't use lights, was common.  I made it to Eugene and stopped for some gas.  I've never been to the Northwest so when I was pulling up I noticed someone standing there and asked which one was self service.  Now this is when you know you aren't in Kansas anymore toto.  Your in Oregan.  The gentleman kindly informed me that it was illegal for people to pump their own gas.  I was like, "what?!?!?"  One look at the gas prices....cheaper than Reno......cheaper than anywhere.....wth?

Ok so I let him pump my gas for me, at which time I was pretty low on money.  I felt like I should tip him but I really was pretty much out of money and couldn't.  Yeah, I was out of money.  I couldn't believe I was out of money.  I had planned my trip a long time ago when I was in Reno.  It seemed to work out on paper.  Oh well, I've made it this far.....I'll just keep going.  8O

The trip here on after was pretty flat and it didn't take me long to get to Portland which was about a hundred miles away from Eugene.  I stopped at the rest stop just outside Portland.  I was contiplating if I should stop at this one.....then I saw 'Free Coffee' at the very last minute.  I took the exit.

(Ready to go to bed.  I'll update this tommaro)

tylor

blueglove

• I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2004, 04:07:02 pm »
"This is going to be one of those real sweaty evenings," Vanessa Carlton apologized to the wall-to-wall audience shoe-horned onto the Crocodile Cafe for Saturday night's concert.

Among the disadvantages of such a popular artist playing an intimate venue was that the air inside was as scarce as tickets on the street. The second-to-last show of her current tour was taped by Rollingstone.com for an Internet broadcast for its "Original Concert" series.

Looking like a prom queen in her strapless gown, Carlton played all but two selections from her newly released "Harmonium" as well as five songs from her 2002 debut "Be Not Nobody."

Performing solo on a baby grand piano, the new songs came across much stronger than the overproduced recorded versions. She opened with "Plastic Love" and "San Francisco," commenting on how much she loved the crowd's quiet attentiveness. Although frequently compared to young female rockers such as Michelle Branch, Carlton displays a broader musical palette and is reverenced more like a Tori Amos.

Her voice, blending baby-doll innocence with a mature self-assurance, was deftly supported by a classically powered piano style. After a masterful retooling of the early hit "Ordinary Day," she dedicated "Who's to Say," one of the best tunes from her new album, to "everyone who is in a relationship that may not be approved by their family or government."

"I am second only to Marilyn Manson in terms of ruffling feathers," she said in introduction to "White Houses," the first single from "Harmonium," which has been banned by MTV for its racy lyrics.

Although the overall impression of the song was somewhat decadent, there was nothing remotely offensive in the lyrics.

In addition to the songs from "Be Not Nobody" and "Harmonium," she performed the B-side "Swindler" and a track that didn't make the new album, "Morning Sting."

Toward the end of the show, Carlton had a bit of an accident with "Wreckage," the secret track on "Harmonium," which she stopped midsong because, having forgotten the words, she realized she was singing in a made-up language.

She recovered with the megahit "A Thousand Miles" and encored with a haunting "Twilight."

- Bill White //Seattle POST-INTELLIGENCER

is that true that it was recorded i went onto rollingstone.com and searched vanessa and nothing was their am i missing something?
Peace
-S

Xenophanes

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2004, 04:11:21 pm »
Quote from: "blueglove"
is that true that it was recorded i went onto rollingstone.com and searched vanessa and nothing was their am i missing something?

Well, I didn't find anything when I searched RollingStone.com...

I kind of chuckled/grimaced at their mistake with Papa...."Plastic Love"? :headshake:

spAce

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • MSN Messenger - crownandcloves@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theprotocolmusic.com
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2004, 10:47:27 am »
I know the sound guy pretty well...  He records all of our shows at the Crocodile...  I will ask him this week if he has a copy of the early show with Nessa...
'I wear my hood so I won't be found' - The Protocol

Vultch

• Moderators
  • Speeding into the horizon
  • Trading Yesterday
    • AOL Instant Messenger - BVulture
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theageof.info
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2004, 11:17:05 am »
Quote from: "spAce"
I know the sound guy pretty well...  He records all of our shows at the Crocodile...  I will ask him this week if he has a copy of the early show with Nessa...

dude I hope you can score that!
I'll reimburse you the 10 bucks if you do.