Author Topic: Should people be religious?  (Read 26540 times)

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Lord Andrew
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Grakthis
    • View Profile
    • http://www.grakthis.com
Should people be religious?
« Reply #75 on: June 14, 2003, 10:52:18 pm »
Quote from: "PIBby"
Mary never died, whoever said that. People have tried to get me to believe it, but she never did. She ascended ino heaven.

True dat.  My mistake.  Mary never technically died.  She ascended.
---Andrew
If you are reading this, you are probably on my ignore list.  Click here to return the favor

Wagella Wrote:Yay for Bigotry!!

---Andrew

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Lord Andrew
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 14, 2003, 10:53:02 pm »
Quote from: "m125 Boy"

I guess that isn't Catholic doctrine then. I've talked to various Catholics and most of them have expressed this view. But then again, many people don't know the beliefs of their own church and this could be another example of this.

Thats just an example of people not knowing their own religion. Happens a lot.
---Andrew
If you are reading this, you are probably on my ignore list.  Click here to return the favor

---Andrew

TSE

• MSN Messenger - somniloquence@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TSE455
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - i88bugs@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #77 on: June 15, 2003, 07:37:13 am »
Quote from: "Grakthis"
Quote from: "m125 Boy"

I guess that isn't Catholic doctrine then. I've talked to various Catholics and most of them have expressed this view. But then again, many people don't know the beliefs of their own church and this could be another example of this.

Thats just an example of people not knowing their own religion. Happens a lot.
---Andrew

The Perpetual Virginity of Blessed Mary, St. Jerome

Not that it matters to Andrew 'cause a man said it :wink:

Anyway

kev222

• VCUBs
  • zero vector
    • AOL Instant Messenger - k3v222
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kev.nu/vc
    • Email
« Reply #78 on: June 15, 2003, 08:37:37 am »

Ugh. Tiny font.  hurts eyes.  I hope you're proud of yourself... you've just killed the remainder of my work day  :wink:

Haha, I decided to dispence with the small font this time, it hurts my eyes too. Anyway, here's the my latest mammoth attempt to fill up Katia's disk space :twisted:

Valid.  I can't argue with that.  Except to say that while this is possible, is it FEASIBLE?  Because as well as having the genetic makeup for the complete diversity of mankind they would also have to have the genetic makeup for all of the FLAWS of mankind.  Which means all of the genetic defects, diseases etc would become dominant in their children.  Even if you assume ONLY Adam had the genetic flaw that can cause diabetes (to use a simple example) then it would still have a high potential to become dominant in many of their children.  Given the STAGERING number of genetic flaws we know of in the human population the odds are that each and every one of their children would have had atleast one if not many major genetic flaws.  Enough to kill them all likely.

Granted, this can be countered by saying that these genetic flaws resulted from damage done to the genetic material passed down in future generations, but this would be similar to suggesting that nature is "creating" information from chaos which you later argue is impossible.

Quote from: "grakthis"
I can't argue with the genetic diversity account you are giving cause technically it sounds possible given what I know of genetics.  I'd still make the above argument about genetic flaws though.

Your genetics is perfectly accurate, as is your conclusion. On this point we agree.

Yes, I will counter with the argument that the original human genome was created without genetic flaws (Gen 1:31). Genetic flaws accumulated with the transfer (with error) of getectic information down the generations following the fall/curse (Gen 3).

You pre-empt this counter with the argument that the appearence of these genetic flaws constitutes a creation of new information. Information is not measured by the number of traits (whether beneficial or harmful) but by specified complexity. It is elementary information theory that any change (mutation) that destroys the functionality of a gene is a reduction in specified complexity (i.e. a loss of information). All mutations studied thus far (even beneficial ones) have demonstrated a loss of information or in some cases no change in information content. So, the laws of information are not violated

Personally, this is not the concept i've read.  I've always read that mankind was a SLOW evolution that occured seperatly among primates in a localized area.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that all evolutionists have abandoned the idea that the different "races" evolved seperately. But most have, based on the mtDNA evidence. They still believe that mankind evolved from primates and they still believed the further evolution of mankind was SLOW, they even still believe that there could have been seperatley evolved humans that became extinct. I only presented the mtDNA evidence to show that evolutionists now accept an idea that has been a prediction of creationist theories forever (that all mankind shares common ancestry through one mother) and parallels creationist theories in other parts. Really, just to make clear that the biblical account should not be rejected out of hand as "crazy".

It takes a long time for evolution to kick of a new SPECIES.  You get new varieties readily but the new varieties are still capable of breeding with their less brethren.  Which means that we didn't have to have a sudden change, it could be gradual.  For example, look at lions and house cats.  Clearly the same origin, but they are compeltely different species now, not just a different variety.  But this change was likely gradual and not sudden.

Again, I agree with you here. Creationists embrace speciation in a similar way to evolutionists. Both camps agree that lions and cats have the same origin. Creationists say that lions and cats are both decended from an original created cat kind (Gen 1:24-25) containing all the information in it's genome for all types of cat. Speciation occured to produce the many species of cat that exist today and the many varieties within each species. On the other hand, evolutionists say that lions and cats share the same evolutionary ancestor and through the process of evolution (as described by the neo darwinian theory of evolution [NDTE]) all different species of cat (speciation) and all the varieties within these species evolved.

The crucial difference is that the NDTE says that the information for different cat features came into existance via the process of mutation shaped by natural selection and creationists say that the information was created by God and has only reduced during the process of speciation. To which my previous information argument applies (see below also). As a side point, creationists also predict that speciation can occur much more rapidly than evolutionists.

The same thing applies to humans as to cats for both evolutionary and creationist theories.

No idea what mtDNA is.

mtDNA is the DNA contained in the mitochondria (the powerplants) of cells, rather than in the nucleus. Only DNA in the nucleus is transmitted via a sperm cell. So all mtDNA is supplied by the mother (via the egg). It's a lot easier to extract than normal nuclear-DNA.

Granted, arguing this has the MAJOR flaw that we are missing MOST of the steps between ancient apes and modern man.  The popular argument here is that there were "catastrophic events" that killed large populations and spawned rapid evolution.  We have evidence of this in prehistoric life where we see entire oceans essentially vanish in a short time and the previously aquatic life is forced to adapt to low water conditions quickly.  We've seen this level of change so we know its possible.

Entire generations are believed to have been lost this way, which could explain the missing steps in the chain.

If the evidence of these catastrophies and the subsiquent rapid evolution is available in the prehistoric record, why not in the more recent record too? Without such evidence evolutionists maintain nothing more than faith in these ad hoc catastrophic events. Of course, you are perfectly right in suggesting that, if it's true, this would explain the missing steps. This is fine if people are only looking for a reason to believe in evolution. But if evolutionists want to prove their theory, they need the evidence to support their predictions. Expecting to be excused from bringing such proofs because they are not observable does not help their scientific case.

The problem with some of those sources you give is that they are arguing based on the pretext that all mankind was whiped out in a flooed 4 thousand years ago.

They do indeed. Those sources are a defense of the creationist position. In order to defend something you must accept what you are defending as a pretext and see how well that pretext explains what we observe today (in this case, current population). It's the only way to scientifically study any theory that attempts to explain events in the unobserved past. The question is, which pretext makes best sense of the evidence we have today.

There is almost zero evidence to support this.  I've even see catholic documentaries trying to dig up evidence for the flood and their evidence was bad.

Well I can't account for those documentaries, there is (unfortunatley) a lot of compromise in all parts of the church these days (Gap theory, Theistic evolution, Day-Age theory) often employing 'local flood' ideas. Perhaps this was the fate of your documentaries.

There is, in fact, a lot of evidence for the global flood. The most notable being the fossil layers (millions of dead things layed down by water). This is exactly what you would expect to find. This is obviously a large point of difference between the naturalistic and creationist standpoints. The naturalist (not the naked kind, lol) starts with the assumptions that there is nothing supernatural and that rates at which the sedimentary layers were layed down has been (for the most part) the same as the observed rates today. The creationist starts with the assumptions that the biblical account in Genesis is true. Both sides have the same evidence, they differ only in their starting presuppositions. The scientific way to determine which presuppositions are better is to determine which one makes best sense of the evidence. Obviously, it is my view that the creationist position does. This is getting really off track now but if you can be bothered to go into it I am happy to keep talking forever :)

I agree that mankind could have grown that fast.  here are the time based problems as I see them.  Geologically, we know that the Earth is older than the bible says.  Either that, or we have the Adam and Even Bellybutton argument (which states that God could have created the Earth with the universe with the APPEARANCE of being older than it is).... which i enjoy, but it would indicate that God WANTS to trick us.  Which I find hard to believe.

We agree on another point, I find the bellybutton argument equally hard to beleive. So much so, that I don't consider it a possible explanation for the evidence. It's not in the character of God (the God of the bible anyway).

The geologic column is not evidence in itself that the earth is older than the bible says. As stated above, that is a conclusion drawn only from naturalistic assumptions about how the layers were formed not the creationist position. If by "Geologically" you mean radioisotopic (RI) dating, they are also based on questionable assumptions. There are also scores of other dating methods (non-isotopic) based on the same kind of uniformitarian assumptions that put a maximum age at far less than the dates usually obtained with RI dating. This is getting way off track, but (again) if you can be bothered we can go down this route.

Quote from: "grakthis"
Another problem would seem to be that we have evidence of life forms that existed BEFORE mankind.  Unless you take the 7 days to be metaphorical?

Nah, It's my view that Genesis is refering to 7 solar days (24 hour). It's written in literal historical narrative and refered to as such (even by Christ) in the new testament.

Again, the idea that the geologic layers represent ordered periods of time is a conclusion drawn only from naturalistic presuppositions. The creationist position is that these layers were deposited during and after the flood.

Not really how I would define evolution, but it works for the point of our discussion here.  Actually, Darwin never used evolution to explain where mankind came from.  Only to study where SPECIES came from.  Personally, I don't recmond reading Origin of the Species because it is MOSTLY case studies of animals.  Which is booooooring.

lol. True, but no creationists or evolutionists book shelf would be complete without it :)

The definition of evolution is important. My argument only applies to the NDTE (large scale evolution). Many changes occur in living things, natural selection is a good observable scientific fact and can lead to new species. These small scale changes are often also refered to as evolution and I have no problem with them. However, these smaller evolutionary changes are not the kind of change that can account for large scale evolution because they add no new information.

back to the main topic, if you go all the way back, MODERN evolution can show how life can be created from NON living matter.

In fact, we can do this NOW.  We can take non living material and place it in the appropriate conditions for relatively short periods of time and we get amino acid chains.

Amino acid chains are not life.

As mentioned above, science can create amino acid chains out of nonliving matter (I can dig up the case study later; I studied it 3 years ago so I dont remember it off the top of my head).

Amino acid chains are what MAKEUP our genetic material.  Basically what happens is a bunch of atoms bump into eachother and stick together.  These form amino acids and protiens among other things.  Now let's say one of these protein chains forms in such a way that it causes OTHER atoms to form around it because they natrually balance the chemical equations.  These other atoms HAPPEN to be immune to UV rays.  So that when the sun comes up, its not broken apart.

oops! thats the start of the genetic material for skin!

Lets say another one is shaped so that it splits apart easily.  So it bumps something, splits in half, and other stuff bumps into it and the two half become whole again. Thats reproduction!

This is how genetic information is formed.  Freak accident.  Lets say one of these amino acid chains has a light sensative spot on its back and this helps it NOT be destoryed when the sun comes up.  Thats the start of an eye.

Eventually these chains get more and more complicated as they constantly split and connect with other chains.  Each time they split and recombine they take their genetic material with them.  Each time they combine with something new they learn pick up new chains.

Till suddenly you have simple organisms.

The process you have described is an impossible process according to the science of information theory. The fact that evolutionists state that this occured does not make it so (or even possible). Yes amino acids (even clumps of amino acids) can form by random processes.  But amino acids do not represent information. There is no code system adhered to, no syntax or any conveyed meaning within the molecuels, it's just the bonding forces of atoms at work. The arranging of these amino acids into meaningful information carrying sequences by random processes would be good proof that information by chance (and thus evolution) is possible.

The NDTE requires that nucleotides are formed naturally and arranged in the DNA into information carrying sequences (encoding how to contruct amino acids/proteins). Such a thing has not been demonstrated and science predicts that it will never be. In addition to demonstrating an evolutionary process that can create new information, evolutionary theory fails to explain how the genetic code system used to encode that information became defined in the first place. As it stands, evolutionists can only maintain by faith (in spite of the science) that these things happened naturally. Information and code systems only come from intelligent design.

Science CAN show it is POSSIBLE for all life on Earth to have come from nonliving matter spontaneously.

In light of my above responses, I maintain that it cannot show that it is possible.

I went to a catholic college, and this was NEVER disputed in ANY of my classes by even the most religious teachers.

Did you have any information theorists as teachers? 8)

This is closer to what evolution REALLY is.  It originally refered to changes to a given animal not changing from one type of animal to another.   So creationists accept changes within a species?  I seem to remember the Pope acknowledging Darwin within the last 20 years or so.  No arguments here.

See above for my explanation of the importance of the original definition. Yes creationists accept changes within a species and even creation of new species (speciation) but that these changes are always accompanied by a loss in genetic information (or no change in information). Never the upward change required[b/] by the NDTE.

I think you're right, the Pope may have accepted evolution (and the big bang, I think), but he is not the final authority on the matter. Such compromised theistic evolutionary ideas induce huge theological contradictions such as having death and suffering before sin. Also if you're free to interpret Genesis as metaphor at will (in spite of the context), what's to say that the foundational teaching regarding salvation only through Christ's sacrfice and ressurection isn't also a metaphor?

Quote from: "kev222"

The creationist account fits nicely with science in that genetic information was created by an intelligence (God) and has since decreased as a result of mutation (and crossover, etc.) and natural selection over thousands of years.

Yes, creationism CAN coincide with Evolution.  I agree.  BUT NOT with Adam and Eve.  

Sorry, I never meant to imply that evolution can coincide with biblical creation (it can't in my opinion). By "science" I meant the information theory I had been refering to. The NDTE is not science in the same way that creationism is not science, it's a believe system about the past. Science is the tool used to validate/invalidate these believe systems.

One theory that works is that God created the universe with a road map, KNOWING how it would form and how life would evolve.  Being God and all, he can get away with this.

To suggest that God just spontaneously created man out of thin air, causes all kinds of problems.

However, like I said... i cannot dispute the idea that God is capable of creating the universe under whatever conditions he wants.

This is the idea known as theistic evolution (God controlled [or forseen] evolution). I'm not a fan of the idea, for reasons I described above (in regard to the Pope's compromise).

-Kev

P.S. Thanks for the intelligent and respectful responses. It's much more fun than the all-to-often encountered responses which Mart (MartUK) pointed to in his post (from both sides!) 8) Sorry again for the length of the reply.

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Lord Andrew
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 15, 2003, 08:42:50 am »
Quote from: "TSE"

The Perpetual Virginity of Blessed Mary, St. Jerome

Not that it matters to Andrew 'cause a man said it :wink:

Because one saint argued it does NOT make it part of Catholic Dogma.

Augustine said a LOT of things that the Church does not acknowledge as Catholic teaching and hes considered to be the greatest of the Catholic theologists.

Not to mention St Jermoe's arguments are pretty weak.
---Andrew

---Andrew

kev222

• VCUBs
  • zero vector
    • AOL Instant Messenger - k3v222
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kev.nu/vc
    • Email
« Reply #80 on: June 15, 2003, 08:54:32 am »
In light of the spiraling length of these posts. I'll make that my last one, unless you have any great desire to continue. So, the last word is yours if you want it :)

-Kev

Ms.Redd

• You aren't tryin'
    • MSN Messenger - chunkiechuck17@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/chunkiechuck/msredd.html
    • Email
Re: well
« Reply #81 on: June 15, 2003, 06:54:16 pm »
Quote from: "Alecs"

Works don't get ya to heaven, the Grace of God does. :wink:

ahem, hee hee.

*** James 2:14-17 ***

14 Of what benefit is it, my brothers, if a certain one says he has faith but he does not have works? That faith cannot save him, can it? 15 If a brother or a sister is in a naked state and lacking the food sufficient for the day, 16 yet a certain one of YOU says to them: "Go in peace, keep warm and well fed," but YOU do not give them the necessities for [their] body, of what benefit is it? 17 Thus, too, faith, if it does not have works, is dead in itself

Ms.Redd

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #82 on: June 15, 2003, 07:03:34 pm »
I don't think I'd say the Catholic Church is fucked up, though. I think it's good that we base what we pratice mostly on traditions, otherwise every church, whether it's a Catholic Church, Baptist church, or whatever, they'd all be the same, and that wouldn't be fun. Everyone would be . . . one religion.

And what's wrong with that? Didn't someone say how that wouldn't be fun? I didn't think that people are/were religious merely for the "fun" it ensues... but... oh-kay if that's their opinion ya know??

Are all religions acceptable to God?

Judg. 10:6, 7: "The sons of Israel again proceeded to do what was bad in the eyes of Jehovah, and they began to serve the Baals and the Ashtoreth images and the gods of Syria and the gods of Sidon and the gods of Moab and the gods of the sons of Ammon and the gods of the Philistines. So they left Jehovah and did not serve him. At this Jehovah's anger blazed against Israel." (If a person worships any thing or any person other than the true God, the Creator of heaven and earth, it is evident that his form of worship is not acceptable to Jehovah.)

Mark 7:6, 7: "He [Jesus] said to them [the Jewish Pharisees and scribes]: 'Isaiah aptly prophesied about you hypocrites, as it is written, "This people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far removed from me. It is in vain that they keep worshiping me, because they teach as doctrines commands of men."'" (Regardless of whom a group profess to worship, if they hold to doctrines of men instead of the inspired Word of God, their worship is in vain.)

Rom. 10:2, 3: "I bear them witness that they have a zeal for God; but not according to accurate knowledge; for, because of not knowing the righteousness of God but seeking to establish their own, they did not subject themselves to the righteousness of God." (People may have God's written Word but lack accurate knowledge of what it contains, because they have not been taught properly. They may feel that they are zealous for God, but they may not be doing what he requires. Their worship is not going to please God, is it?)

Taken from Reasoning from the Scriptures:

--Is it true that there is good in all religions?

Most religions do teach that a person should not lie or steal, and so forth. But is that sufficient? Would you be happy to drink a glass of poisoned water because someone assured you that most of what you were getting was water?

2 Cor. 11:14, 15: "Satan himself keeps transforming himself into an angel of light. It is therefore nothing great if his ministers also keep transforming themselves into ministers of righteousness." (Here we are cautioned that not everything that originates with Satan may appear hideous. One of his chief methods of deceiving mankind has been false religion of all kinds, to some of which he gives a righteous appearance.)

2 Tim. 3:2, 5: "Men will be . . . having a form of godly devotion but proving false to its power; and from these turn away." (Regardless of their outward professions of love for God, if those with whom you worship do not sincerely apply his Word in their own lives, the Bible urges you to break off such association.)

Ms.Redd

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #83 on: June 15, 2003, 07:05:33 pm »

I am opposed to the idea of another person (and frankly, I believe that's all the pope is, because no where in scripture does it say otherwise) telling me what I have to do to make it to heaven.

Which is the largest reason why im opposed to every organize religion I've ever studied.
---Andrew

Is belonging to an organized religion necessary?

Most religious organizations have produced bad fruitage. It is not the fact that groups are organized that is bad. But many have promoted forms of worship that are based on false teachings and are largely ritualistic instead of providing genuine spiritual guidance; they have been misused to control the lives of people for selfish objectives; they have been overly concerned with money collections and ornate houses of worship instead of spiritual values; their members are often hypocritical. Obviously no one who loves righteousness would want to belong to such an organization. But true religion is a refreshing contrast to all of that. Nevertheless, to fulfill the Bible's requirements, it must be organized.

Heb. 10:24, 25: "Let us consider one another to incite to love and fine works, not forsaking the gathering of ourselves together, as some have the custom, but encouraging one another, and all the more so as you behold the day drawing near." (To carry out this Scriptural command, there must be Christian meetings that we can attend on a consistent basis. Such an arrangement encourages us to express love toward others, not only concern about self.)

1 Cor. 1:10: "Now I exhort you, brothers, through the name of our Lord Jesus Christ that you should all speak in agreement, and that there should not be divisions among you, but that you may be fitly united in the same mind and in the same line of thought." (Such unity would never be achieved if the individuals did not meet together, benefit from the same spiritual feeding program, and respect the agency through which such instruction was provided. See also John 17:20, 21.)

1 Pet. 2:17: "Have love for the whole association of brothers." (Does that include only those who may meet together for worship in a particular private home? Not at all; it is an international brotherhood, as shown by Galatians 2:8, 9 and 1 Corinthians 16:19.)

Matt. 24:14: "This good news of the kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations; and then the end will come." (For all nations to be given the opportunity to hear that good news, the preaching must be carried out in an orderly way, with suitable oversight. Love for God and for one's fellowman has caused people around the earth to unite their efforts to do this work.)

loginname101

• Make me high on lullabies
    • View Profile
what???
« Reply #84 on: June 15, 2003, 07:06:00 pm »
who are you talking to??????

Ms.Redd

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: what???
« Reply #85 on: June 15, 2003, 07:08:00 pm »
Quote from: "loginname101"
who are you talking to??????

lol, anyone who reads this later when its not so late, people who are bored at work tomorrow, people who don't sleep, lurkers... And oh yeah, haha, everyone on the last what?, 6, 7 pages of this thread... haha

Ms.Redd

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #86 on: June 15, 2003, 07:14:41 pm »

I am opposed to the idea of another person (and frankly, I believe that's all the pope is, because no where in scripture does it say otherwise) telling me what I have to do to make it to heaven.

---Andrew

And for the other half of this that I wanted to touch on. :)

Do all good people go to heaven?

Acts 2:34: "David [whom the Bible refers to as being 'a man agreeable to Jehovah's heart'] did not ascend to the heavens."

Matt. 11:11: "Truly I say to you people, Among those born of women there has not been raised up a greater than John the Baptist; but a person that is a lesser one in the kingdom of the heavens is greater than he is." (So John did not go to heaven when he died.)

Ps. 37:9, 11, 29: "Evildoers themselves will be cut off, but those hoping in Jehovah are the ones that will possess the earth . . . The meek ones themselves will possess the earth, and they will indeed find their exquisite delight in the abundance of peace. The righteous themselves will possess the earth, and they will reside forever upon it."

If Adam had not sinned, would he eventually have gone to heaven?

Gen. 1:26: "God went on to say: 'Let us make man in our image, according to our likeness, and let them have in subjection the fish of the sea and the flying creatures of the heavens and the domestic animals and all the earth and every moving animal that is moving upon the earth.'" (So, God's purpose for Adam was that he be caretaker of the earth and of the animal life there. Nothing is said about his going to heaven.)

Gen. 2:16, 17: "Jehovah God also laid this command upon the man: 'From every tree of the garden you may eat to satisfaction. But as for the tree of the knowledge of good and bad you must not eat from it, for in the day you eat from it you will positively die.'" (It was not Jehovah's original purpose for man someday to die. God's command here quoted shows that he warned against the course that would lead to death. Death was to be punishment for disobedience, not the doorway to a better life in heaven. Obedience would have been rewarded by continued life, eternal life, in the Paradise that God had given to man. See also Isaiah 45:18.)

What points to this Paradise as being earthly?

The Hebrew Scriptures had never led faithful Jews to expect a reward of heavenly life. Those Scriptures pointed to the restoration of Paradise here on earth. Daniel 7:13, 14 had foretold that when "rulership and dignity and kingdom" would be given to the Messiah, "the peoples, national groups and languages should all serve even him." Those subjects of the Kingdom would be here on the earth. By what he said to Jesus, the evildoer was evidently expressing the hope that Jesus would remember him when that time came.

How, then, would Jesus be with the evildoer? By raising him from the dead, making provision for his physical needs, and extending to him the opportunity to learn and conform to Jehovah's requirements for eternal life. (John 5:28, 29) Jesus saw in the evildoer's repentant and respectful attitude a basis for including him among the billions who will be resurrected to earthly life and the opportunity to prove their worthiness to live forever in Paradise.

Ms.Redd

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #87 on: June 15, 2003, 07:21:15 pm »
Quote from: "MartUK"

And to be honest, I really hope God doesn't exist, because if he does I'm going straight to hell.  :twisted:

Boy I am just full of info tonight, ain't I?? haha

Does the Bible indicate whether the dead experience pain?

Eccl. 9:5, 10: "The living are conscious that they will die; but as for the dead, they are conscious of nothing at all . . . All that your hand finds to do, do with your very power, for there is no work nor devising nor knowledge nor wisdom in Sheol,* the place to which you are going." (If they are conscious of nothing, they obviously feel no pain.) (*"Sheol," AS, RS, NE, JB; "the grave," KJ, Kx; "hell," Dy; "the world of the dead," TEV.)

Ps. 146:4: "His spirit goes out, he goes back to his ground; in that day his thoughts* do perish." (*"Thoughts," KJ, 145:4 in Dy; "schemes," JB; "plans," RS, TEV.)

What is the meaning of the 'eternal torment' referred to in Revelation?

Rev. 14:9-11; 20:10, KJ: "If any man worship the beast and his image, and receive his mark in his forehead, or in his hand, the same shall drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is poured out without mixture into the cup of his indignation; and he shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels, and in the presence of the Lamb: and the smoke of their torment [Greek, basa·ni·smou´] ascendeth up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day nor night, who worship the beast and his image, and whosoever receiveth the mark of his name." "And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever."

What is the 'torment' to which these texts refer? It is noteworthy that at Revelation 11:10 (KJ) reference is made to 'prophets that torment those dwelling on the earth.' Such torment results from humiliating exposure by the messages that these prophets proclaim. At Revelation 14:9-11 (KJ) worshipers of the symbolic "beast and his image" are said to be "tormented with fire and brimstone." This cannot refer to conscious torment after death because "the dead know not any thing." (Eccl. 9:5, KJ) Then, what causes them to experience such torment while they are still alive? It is the proclamation by God's servants that worshipers of the "beast and his image" will experience second death, which is represented by "the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone." The smoke, associated with their fiery destruction, ascends forever because the destruction will be eternal and will never be forgotten. When Revelation 20:10 says that the Devil is to experience 'torment forever and ever' in "the lake of fire and brimstone," what does that mean? Revelation 21:8 (KJ) says clearly that "the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone" means "the second death." So the Devil's being "tormented" there forever means that there will be no relief for him; he will be held under restraint forever, actually in eternal death. This use of the word "torment" (from the Greek ba´sa·nos) reminds one of its use at Matthew 18:34, where the same basic Greek word is applied to a 'jailer.'-RS, AT, ED, NW.

Ms.Redd

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #88 on: June 15, 2003, 07:26:26 pm »

One of the commandments is 'Honor thy Father and thy Mother', which has brought me to believe the reason we, as Catholics, are supposed to listen and obey the Pope is because he is, one of our fathers. The commandment doesn't say 'Honor your biological Father and Mother; The ones who physically created you and brought you to Earth'. See, we refer to our priest as Father, and . . . the Pope is the head of the Catholic Church (who is alive), and he is the head priest, thus he's to be addressed as Father. And we've got to obey him. That's just what I've begun to belive, if you all get what I'm saying.

Is the rite of reconciliation, including auricular confession (personal confession into the ear of a priest), as taught by the Catholic Church Scriptural?

The manner in which the priest is addressed

The traditional formula, still often used, is: "Bless me, Father, for I have sinned. It has been [length of time] since my last Confession."-U.S. Catholic magazine, October 1982, p. 6.

Matt. 23:1, 9, JB: "Jesus said, . . . 'You must call no one on earth your father, since you have only one Father, and he is in heaven.'"

Sins that can be forgiven

"The Church has always taught that every sin, no matter how serious, can be forgiven."-The Catholic Encyclopedia (bearing the nihil obstat and the imprimatur), R. C. Broderick (Nashville, Tenn.; 1976), p. 554.

Heb. 10:26, JB: "If, after we have been given knowledge of the truth, we should deliberately commit any sins, then there is no longer any sacrifice for them."

Mark 3:29, JB: "Let anyone blaspheme against the Holy Spirit and he will never have forgiveness: he is guilty of an eternal sin."

How penance is to be shown

Frequently the confessor directs that the penitent say a specified number of "Our Fathers" and "Hail Marys."

Matt. 6:7, JB: "In your prayers do not babble [that is, utter in a meaninglessly repetitious manner] as the pagans do, for they think that by using many words they will make themselves heard."

Matt. 6:9-12, JB: "You should pray like this: 'Our Father in heaven, . . . forgive us our debts.'" (Nowhere in the Bible are we commanded to pray to or through Mary. See Philippians 4:6, also pages 258, 259, under "Mary.")

Rom. 12:9, JB: "Do not let your love be a pretence, but sincerely prefer good to evil."

loginname101

• Make me high on lullabies
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 15, 2003, 07:32:10 pm »