Poll

Should we have to pass a highschool exit exam?

Yes
1 (100%)
Of course not!
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Voting closed: May 10, 2003, 03:20:32 pm

Author Topic: Should we have to pass a highschool exit exam?  (Read 13472 times)

Laura

• Keepin' secrets at midnight
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2003, 10:44:05 am »
Maybe we do have it a little easier than some of you guys, but you all are not seeing my point.

Just my opinion...I just don't see why we have to take it when we haven't learned anything that's on the exam. Some people just don't understand math as hard as they try...they just don't get it. Including me.

rosieposy87

• VCUBs
  • Prat Twin #2
    • MSN Messenger - rosie_posy87@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - rosieposy87
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2003, 10:49:16 am »
But surely there should be a basic level at which you have to understand? otherwise you just can't get by in the world. Believe me, i hate maths but i understand why i have to take an exam in it.
"I'm all about the wordplay."

Laura

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2003, 10:54:53 am »
Exactly. I blame the school. It's mostly the juniors that are in this mess. When I last took the exam, I had no idea what the heck they were talking about, lol because I haven't learned anyof it. I may understand some of the stuff better now that im in Algebra B, but I don't know.
I guess you'd just have to ask the people who still haven't passed it to understand what I mean. I mean heck, all my teachers even think it's screwed up. That's gotta say something.

rosieposy87

• VCUBs
  • Prat Twin #2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2003, 11:01:17 am »
The clearly the teaching is the problem here, i think everyone has to take exams- but if you're not prepared for them then how can they be a true judge of your ability and knowledge?

Laura

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2003, 11:10:14 am »
Quote from: "rosieposy87"
The clearly the teaching is the problem here, i think everyone has to take exams- but if you're not prepared for them then how can they be a true judge of your ability and knowledge?

Exactly! Finally someone see's my point...@ least it looks like you do, lol They aren't really preparing us at all.

That's why im hella nervous. I have to take them on Thursday. Im like freaking out here...they are trying to pass a bill where you won't have to take it until a couple more years, but until then, im mad   :evil: lol

Dancernl

• Fine as dandelions
    • AOL Instant Messenger - balletstar86
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/dancernl/Menu9.html
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2003, 11:14:58 am »
Quote from: "neos"
In Spain, there's this official exam you have to take at the end of year 12 which includes:

Maths
Spanish
English
Basque
History

and 2 more subjects which can be either Physics/Chemistry/Biology or Geography/Latin/Economics depending on what you've chosen the previous year. If you don't pass that exam you can't go to university. Public universities really look at the mark you've had in that exam and if you haven't made the grade they ask for in whatever you want to study (i.e. journalism is sth like 8.5), you can't enter and have to choose some other course. I have friends who wanted to study medicine but because the mark they needed was sth like 8 and they had 7.5 they had to choose a completely different course like biology or engineering.

Nerea, que es basque?
It is a crime to kill a neighbor, and an act of heroism to kill an enemy.  But who is an enemy and who is a neighbor is purely a matter of social definition.  - E.R. Leach

rosieposy87

• VCUBs
  • Prat Twin #2
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2003, 11:15:13 am »
Its weird, because surely after 18 years (am i right?) of education you should be prepared for a maths and english test? what are the teachers doing at ur school!? lol

Laura

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2003, 11:19:22 am »
Its weird, because surely after 18 years (am i right?) of education you should be prepared for a maths and english test? what are the teachers doing at ur school!? lol

haha!  :lol: don't get me wrong, the teachers are actually teaching at my school, lol but alot of us haven't had geometry and stuff that's actually on the exam, lol which is why I think there should be separate test's, since we don't have to take geometry at my school, wouldn't that make more sense? if they did that I would be so happy  :D

rosieposy87

• VCUBs
  • Prat Twin #2
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2003, 11:20:58 am »
Quote from: "Dancernl"
Quote from: "neos"
In Spain, there's this official exam you have to take at the end of year 12 which includes:

Maths
Spanish
English
Basque
History

and 2 more subjects which can be either Physics/Chemistry/Biology or Geography/Latin/Economics depending on what you've chosen the previous year. If you don't pass that exam you can't go to university. Public universities really look at the mark you've had in that exam and if you haven't made the grade they ask for in whatever you want to study (i.e. journalism is sth like 8.5), you can't enter and have to choose some other course. I have friends who wanted to study medicine but because the mark they needed was sth like 8 and they had 7.5 they had to choose a completely different course like biology or engineering.

Nerea, que es basque?

are you asking what Basque is? Because Basque is the language of the area in which Nerea lives (The Basque Country suprisingly) and they are taught it up to a certain level despite the fact the majority of people speak spanish there.

neos

• VCUBs
  • I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
  • Prat Twin #1
    • AOL Instant Messenger - superneos
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2003, 01:10:21 pm »
Quote from: "Dancernl"

Nerea, que es basque?

are you asking what Basque is? Because Basque is the language of the area in which Nerea lives (The Basque Country suprisingly) and they are taught it up to a certain level despite the fact the majority of people speak spanish there.

Yup! It's a local language. It's mostly spoken in rural areas, not very much where I live, but they make everyone study it at school, in an attempt to create a bigger Basque-speaking community, but it's not really working, cos the level taught at many schools is really poor and ppl don't study it any further than school. The problem comes when you wanna work in some goverment institution and they ask for it, but most ppl don't speak it, so they need to take courses & things that just don't make sense when you're 40 (!!)... never mind lol I'm getting into too much detail, sorry.

It's a very different language from Spanish, very very different, so it makes it even tougher to learn. It's actually everyone's nightmare at school lol I was lucky I didn't have to study it from year 8 on cos I spent a year in England and when I came back I was exempt from it (lol did I just made that word up or does it exist?)

there's only four seasons
and this one's almost gone
these nights feel so good
but this one's almost gone

vive-la-france

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • ICQ Messenger - 165806753
    • MSN Messenger - Thomas2405831
    • View Profile
    • http://perso.club-internet.fr/alain.rouchaud
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2003, 02:02:53 pm »
in France we have exit exams in each schools, i mean school, college, high school. none at the University  :D (4 exams sets at University = every 3 months  :(  )

Nerea : Basque ?? strange subject , we don't have it in France even in "Pays Basque" perhaps only as an facultative subject

Quote from: "GSUCarltonFan"
If you can't pass them, you don't deserve a diploma.  Just my opinion.

i think the same
Thomas aka Dr Doolittle

emmy

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • ICQ Messenger - 62879091
    • MSN Messenger - emilyct84@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - ieatpijunz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ceruleantown.com/
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2003, 02:14:38 pm »
In Connecticut we don't have exit exams, although they do make us take CAPT tests, and supposedly if we don't do well, it doesn't look good if we attempt to go to an in state college.  Dunno if it's true tho.  Oh well.

katiakaysha: I MUST DO MY PEEPEES

neos

• VCUBs
  • I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
  • Prat Twin #1
    • AOL Instant Messenger - superneos
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2003, 02:16:40 pm »
Quote from: "vive-la-france"

Nerea : Basque ?? strange subject , we don't have it in France even in "Pays Basque" perhaps only as an facultative subject

I know... but that's because the French Basque country is a lot smaller than the Spanish one, and it's inside Aquitaine (it's Aquitaine isn't it? I'm not sure), it doesn't have an autonomy of its own like in Spain. Here there's a regional government with more power than most of the rest of the regional governments in Spain (there's special taxes and everything, unlike in most of the regions in Spain, which have standard taxes ruled by the central government), which happens to be ruled byt the Basque Nationalist party PNV, so they make all the efforts possible to promote Basque and everything to do with it (Basque independence and things like that, if you've ever heard of those issues, you know what I'm talking about). The pro-Basque political organisation is a lot stronger here than in France, so it has an influence in education too. When I spent some time near Bayonne I was surprised how little Basque culture was present in there, it was present but not in a political way like it is here. I'd even say more ppl speak Basque in the French Basque country, basically cos it's more rural, but they're less worried about the pro-Basque politics like ppl are here. That's just my little knowledge of it though

there's only four seasons
and this one's almost gone
these nights feel so good
but this one's almost gone

vive-la-france

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • ICQ Messenger - 165806753
    • MSN Messenger - Thomas2405831
    • View Profile
    • http://perso.club-internet.fr/alain.rouchaud
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2003, 02:29:21 pm »
your little lnowledge is that BIG

yep it's Aquitaine you got it right

Here Basque are as Corse people : they are wanting and asking their independance but i think that french governement will never give it to them cuz otherwise people from Bretagne will want it too , Corse people , then it will be Landais people ...... France would explode, it would be the Non-united States of France  :(
You would have a strange country for neighbour  :P
Even if i'm 50% landais and 50% pyrénéen i don't want Landes and Pyrénées to be independant countries. We are just in France but people should be alowed to keep their rural cultures alive.
France is so understandable sometimes  :cry:  :wink:
Thomas aka Dr Doolittle

nicole

• Moderators
  • Fine as dandelions
  • more rides than great adventure
    • AOL Instant Messenger - lovePLASTIClove
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2003, 02:33:36 pm »
Quote from: "Emily"
In Connecticut we don't have exit exams, although they do make us take CAPT tests, and supposedly if we don't do well, it doesn't look good if we attempt to go to an in state college.  Dunno if it's true tho.  Oh well.

haha I remember those DUMB tests! I love the first week in May when I was a freshman! I would show up late for school all week! ;)