Author Topic: "My First Time" -- Stories Of Being Stricken By Vanessa Music Madness.  (Read 2396 times)

charmedguy18

When "A Thousand Miles" came out, I was like everyone else mostly. I thought it was SUCH an amazing song. But I did that Nessaholic taboo for the longest time: I confused Michelle Branch and Vanessa Carlton! I was so misguided!

I remember one day, "Ordinary Day" was on the radio. I was riding across the Cooper River Bridge in Charleston, SC, bringing my sister home for break while she was in college still. She and I always had pretty dramatically different tastes in music. So, when I turned up the volume when the song came on, she said, "What the fuck is this shit?" And I said, "Shawn! It's Vanessa Carlton!" I was angry. I wasn't a super-fan yet, but I was a fan. I hadn't got the CD, but I was thinking about getting it. I sang badly throughout the song. I didn't care what she thought: that was a damn good song! To quote the infamous Irv Gotti, that song was THE shit!

About a year later, I picked up Be Not Nobody by chance when I saw it at Target. I was just starting to really enjoy music. Like part of development during adolescence being more interested in music, or something. And her music was instantly one of my favorites. I remember listening to "Twilight" and dancing and swaying to the music. Singing along. I loved the song because I could so much relate to the lyrics. I had always felt as if I'd "seen twilight" for my entire life. And it was uplifting to hear that I could "say goodbye to yesterday and I will never cease to fly..." The lyrics. The music. They gave me a bit of hope that I'd yearned for. It was one of the first songs that had emotionally touched me. But I still hadn't got stricken by the Vanessa Music Madness.

When the single for "White Houses," came out I was in eighth grade. It was the worst year of my life, by far. So I isolated myself. I talked on the phone with people I'd met on the internet. One, named Chris, was talking to me while I walked my dog around the block. He said, "hey, there's this really awesome new song by that girl, Vanessa Carlton. It's called 'White Houses.'" I was instantly energized by the thought of new music. Especially music from someone who could play the piano like Vanessa. I loved (and still love) the sounds of the piano. So, I went home and watched the video. I was astounded. I loved it! I went to my mom and said, to her that there was a great new song by the same girl who did "A Thousand Miles," and that I wanted her to listen. She wasn't pleased. She begrudgingly came to the computer and I pulled up the video. I recall one comment in particular that I had no particular feelings about, but for some reason stood out: "why do all the artists these days have to talk about sex! 'Rush of blood. And a little bit of pain?' That's vulgur!" I didn't agree. I thought it was one of the first times sex was portrayed in a respectable, artistic manner. I loved the song. I couldn't wait for the CD to release. But, still. I was not a bona fide Nessaholic. I was just as into Maria Mena and Lillix (haha) than I was her.

Then came the day that Harmonium leaked. I downloaded it over Bittorrent, knowing my mom wouldn't dare buy the CD (don't worry, I bought it!). I started listening. The first song I listened to was "White Houses." Then came the time I knew I'd been struck. "San Francisco" started playing. I started dancing. I felt as if the music was entering me. Like I was part of it. I closed my eyes and I remember that I felt joy for the first time in my life. It was fleeting, but it was precious. I knew then that Vanessa Carlton would be my favorite artist of all time. The next day, I went on a trip to Orlando with on a school trip. The entire ride, I listened to BNN and Harmonium. Just as we entered Orlando, "San Francisco" came on again. I felt like it was the song that was describing what was going on in the here and now. But, instead of California, I was in Florida!  I spoke of her CD with passion the entire trip. After the trip, though, came very bad things that still to this day have emotionally scarred me. And the only thing that I can remember about those times was Vanessa's music. It kept me alive while I struggled being gay in a conservative world. "Who's To Say," became my theme song. I just felt so connected to it.

Since then, I still love her music. Every song she's written has touched me in some way or another that I feel has made a positive impact. Harmonium, in my opinion, was the most amazing CD I've ever had the pleasure to listen to in my life. It's perfect in every way. And it reminds me that, even when life is tough, music is always there to be my comfort. Especially Vanessa Carlton's music, combined with her vibrant, passionate, yet esoteric lyrics.

I remember that night I danced to "San Francisco" so vividly to this day. The calm before the storm of the chaos to come. So peaceful, so joyful. It was my first high in life. The first musically-induced intoxication. And I will never forget it. I must say, that no drug will ever replicate the high of sound entering my ears.

So, that was my story of the entrance into the world of Nessaholism. I would love to hear everyone else's stories of their "first times." I think everyone would appreciate seeing personal stories of others who have been touched by her music for the first time. I've shared another story with you all about how much "London" affected me. So I thought maybe I'd share this story. Your turn!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 12:12:15 pm by charmedguy18 »

TRINIST

• Your true colors shown
  • Perfect hair, perfect heart.
    • View Profile
That was a lovely read, and It's nice to know people feel the same way as I do about Vanessa. No one around here "gets" her, but what she creates more than anyone else, to me anyway, is much more than music. It's more of a drug like you say, and it touches deep within me like no other artist can. Seems kind of odd sometimes? But just a flit of a VC melody, or that tone of truth and yearning she has in her voice, and It feels like the music is inside me and not a pair of headphones lol.

My story is a Lot like yours. Around the time ATM came out, it was just a popular song that everyone seemed to know or have. I was maybe 13 and my dad had a copy of BNN in the car. When I was driving with him, i'd make him put it on because I prefered it to all his other cds. I liked it and got to know the songs, but I didnt love her or anything.
Then when the white houses video came out, I adored it. The song was just so alive and extraordinarily composed (and I agree about the honest and graceful way she spoke about sex, not like other music today). So I bought BNN and preordered Harmonium. When I started to listen to BNN all the words came back to me right away from when I had heard it before. I was like "I remember this one!!" when I played each song for the first time. By now I was in love and, having a bad day, actually cried when a credit card balls-up delayed my harmonium cd by over a week! lol

Anyway since then I've just kept up to date with her career. Joined nessaholics, downloaded her demo tape, live rarities, B-sides etc. and now VC isnt just a musician to me, she's part of my life. Even how she presents herself aesthetically makes me like her that little bit more, being an art student. She just speaks to me I guess.
And sure, people still know her as the ATM girl, and I don't like being asked what my favourite music is because people already have an opinion on her. I don't bother wih the retaliating argument anymore because I don't care, I enjoy her music and know her true talent and credibility and that's enough for me.

I am so glad she's making a fourth album and not giving up and scoring movies, because Stevie is right, she posesses something special and has to carry the torch. She might not sell millions of copies but just because the general public doesn't connect with her, I know that each album will make some peoples lives a little bit brighter.

Giuliana

• Make me high on lullabies
  • You think you'll be happy if granted one more wish
    • MSN Messenger - giulianacaminotti@hotmail.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - nessaholic.chu@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • twitter
    • Email
So, all your stories are so lovely. I don't know her for a lot of time actually, this is just my second year on being a Nessa Adict, but I wished I had know her before. The first time I listened to her was in 2007 on the radio. I listed her 2nd single, Hands On Me, kinda of difuse because the radio was broken :D But I heard it and said "I must have that song". I searched it in Internet, and started downloading all of her songs and since 2008 I am just obssesed with her music. I listen to all of her CD's over and over again. And yeah, how she talks about sex in White Houses, is very delicated and nice, I don't know why people make such a fuss about it, there are plenty of worse songs than that one. But whatever, her music is so great, wonderful... Personally I think that her best best record is "White Houses" definitely, and her best album is "Heroes and Thieves", you can see how she keeps on growing in each album... I can't wait to see her 4th one, I am just so excited.
I love that there are so many people that listen to her, actually in my school nobody knows her, except some few friends that love ATM, and is just a petty because she is just an excellent singer, and if u connect with her music everybody can assure that u just wont be able to stop listening to her... But well, beautiful stories, hope to hear more...
Nessa rocks, guys!  :D As simple as that
xoxo
Chula
But the truth is, you'll never need more than this

_all_is_well_

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
Well I always liked "A Thousand Miles" but like most everyone alse I didnt really know Vanessa carltons music.
Fast forward to 2007.
I was in I was in sixth or seventh grade when my friend showed my a song she discovered on quizzla.com it was "White Houses". I loved it so much I went strait to itunes (i didnt use limewire or anything at the time) and started buying randome songs of hers, I soon found out I loved them all. I was SHOCKED to find out she was the one who sang " A Thousand Miles". I slowly downlaoded all her songs.

and thats how she became my favorite musical artist of all time.

I ended up here becuase not alot of people like her music, so I needed people who were in on the news, knew where to download unreleased things, and just to discuss the love for her music.

Giuliana

• Make me high on lullabies
  • You think you'll be happy if granted one more wish
    • MSN Messenger - giulianacaminotti@hotmail.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - nessaholic.chu@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • twitter
    • Email
Well I always liked "A Thousand Miles" but like most everyone alse I didnt really know Vanessa carltons music.
Fast forward to 2007.
I was in I was in sixth or seventh grade when my friend showed my a song she discovered on quizzla.com it was "White Houses". I loved it so much I went strait to itunes (i didnt use limewire or anything at the time) and started buying randome songs of hers, I soon found out I loved them all. I was SHOCKED to find out she was the one who sang " A Thousand Miles". I slowly downlaoded all her songs.

and thats how she became my favorite musical artist of all time.

I ended up here becuase not alot of people like her music, so I needed people who were in on the news, knew where to download unreleased things, and just to discuss the love for her music.

Gosh, that is so true!
But the truth is, you'll never need more than this