Author Topic: My Design Company : Violet Designs  (Read 30439 times)

vanessafan18

• You aren't tryin'
    • MSN Messenger - Gfoster27@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - RedDitty87
    • View Profile
My Design Company : Violet Designs
« Reply #75 on: February 23, 2004, 10:29:07 am »
Your stuff is just divine Steph-if I had the money I would buy it all!!! And as well as the stuff, that packagining really is gorgeous!!! I sent the money off!

xoxox

Thank so much for the sig Scotty!! <3 It's gorgeous!

divasteph

• VCUBs
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Martha Stewart!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - stephlava2
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/stephaniepressman
« Reply #76 on: February 23, 2004, 10:32:54 am »
great - i already posted the blue one as unavailable - soon to have a wonderful home in england!!! thanks - georgie for the input i am glad you like it!!! - i really can't wait to show you guys what i have been knitting!

if it takes me an hour or two to knit a scarf - how much do you think i should charge for it??? the yarn cost about $5 to make it - but how much should i make off of my time??? just wondering from the consumer side - because most projects i do - don't take as long. - i would love some input?
my scarfs are about 1 - 3 inches wide and 6 feet long - for wrapping

vanessafan18

• You aren't tryin'
    • MSN Messenger - Gfoster27@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - RedDitty87
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 23, 2004, 12:02:12 pm »
Aww it's no problem at all Stephy!!! I'm not sure really, I don't work in dollars! I used to know to knit, my nan teached me and I made this little red scarf! I think when I am less busy I will start knitting again!

Thank so much for the sig Scotty!! <3 It's gorgeous!

jlmusicchick

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 23, 2004, 12:51:44 pm »
Quote from: "divasteph"
if it takes me an hour or two to knit a scarf - how much do you think i should charge for it??? the yarn cost about $5 to make it - but how much should i make off of my time??? just wondering from the consumer side - because most projects i do - don't take as long. - i would love some input?
my scarfs are about 1 - 3 inches wide and 6 feet long - for wrapping

I would go by the price of your thread, about how much of your thread you use per scarf, and the labor you put in to it.

I sell some of my tatting at the antique shows my mom sets up at. Usually the little medalians i do go for a dollar fifty each because: they're small, it doesn't take much thread, and the thread i buy is about 2.00 a roll. But the doilies i make range from 5$ to 15$ depending on the size, how much time it takes, and how much thread i use.  

So if your scarf is six feet long, the price is going to go up. I'd say about 10$, 12$ sounds fair, since they're so long. That's still a lower price than most stores for an even shorter length. Usually crafts are so expensive, it's a good idea to keep them as low as possible, that way people will be more likely to buy!

divasteph

• VCUBs
  • Martha Stewart!
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 23, 2004, 01:01:14 pm »
well i probably could say it costs me $15 an hour - so i would probably start at $15 - since they take me an hour - but then i think that i make lots of other stuff that cost more that takes a lot less time --- maybe i should charge more ---- but i dont mind making them for $15 but i wanted an honest consumer opinion first ... i will post pics tomorrow.
xoxo
Steph

jlmusicchick

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 23, 2004, 01:12:11 pm »
well i probably could say it costs me $15 an hour - so i would probably start at $15 - since they take me an hour - but then i think that i make lots of other stuff that cost more that takes a lot less time --- maybe i should charge more ---- but i dont mind making them for $15 but i wanted an honest consumer opinion first ... i will post pics tomorrow.
xoxo
Steph

15$ is a good price! That's about the average price for a scarf, and if they're good quality then you'll probably sell in bulk, which is basically, through my experience, is the best way to sell.  But remember that you have to spend money to make money!

divasteph

• VCUBs
  • Martha Stewart!
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 23, 2004, 01:14:18 pm »
i dont know if i could do bulk orders of this stuff - the scarfs are just way to time consuming ---- they are great just i would rather sell ech scarf as either as few in stock to choose from or made to order ----
but thanks so much --- xoxo
 :D

jlmusicchick

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 23, 2004, 01:20:00 pm »
Made to order is a good idea. That way the consumer gets a greater choice of what they want. You might even want to keep the already made ones at 15$ and charge 18$ for made to order ones , since they aren't already made. Usually that doesn't make much of a difference to the consumer, just as long as they get what they want!

lol i forgot that you make the scarfs. I sell wades at my mom's antique shows, and i price them really really low so a lot of people will buy in bulk :-P buuut i think made to order is the perfect option for you! in fact my neighbor is having me make tat a doily for her, and she even offered to pay me  commission since it wasn't already made! which is cool when you're 17 and the most you can make in an hour is 5.25 minimum wage  :razz:

divasteph

• VCUBs
  • Martha Stewart!
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 23, 2004, 01:24:00 pm »
thats awesome jess!

if you ever have anything you want to sell online let me know and i will consign it for almost free (like $1 from every order) on my site

jlmusicchick

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 23, 2004, 01:29:38 pm »
thats awesome jess!

if you ever have anything you want to sell online let me know and i will consign it for almost free (like $1 from every order) on my site

Really?! that would be awesome! I could see that happening over the summer after i graduate (June 26th - no more highschool - can we say freeeeedom?!). I'll have to talk to my mom and such, she's not the kind of person to give all of her details out to someone she doesn't know :-P  Buuut i think i can convince her. I'll let you know towards summertime!

I really like making friendship bracelets, i sell those as well, they sell pretty well. 50 cents a bracelet, i don't think that's too shabby. I can get the skeins from AC Moore for i think 18 cents each, and i usually use three colors. They sell big with the kids that come to the antique shows. Maybe i'll try some of my doilies and medalians, they didn't sell a lot like i had hoped over the summer at the shows, but they might on the internet, it's worth a shot!

divasteph

• VCUBs
  • Martha Stewart!
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 23, 2004, 01:47:59 pm »
you could just send me the item and i can take some good pics and stuff and i will say it is made by you - when the item sells i will send you the money minus a small comisson (like $1 an item) for my time and web space. easy peasy - not much info to give out...  :wink: there also a bunch of other sites that do this (my fave is http://www.plainmabel.com)
so you can always feel free to go to one of the bigger outlets like them - i have no prob with that and wont feel bad about it --- also ebay!

jlmusicchick

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 23, 2004, 01:58:52 pm »
thanks steph! i'll approach mom about it. i think she'll be fine with it though! I know she's not comfortable selling stuff off of ebay, but i'll go through you first before trying somewhere else!

divasteph

• VCUBs
  • Martha Stewart!
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 24, 2004, 10:12:13 am »
my scarfs and neckwarmer!

don't pay any attention to me being a goofball!
i was very tired and pooped!

jlmusicchick

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 24, 2004, 11:43:59 am »
Steph, that's an awesome scarf! If i were to buy one, could i send you cash for it?

divasteph

• VCUBs
  • Martha Stewart!
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 24, 2004, 11:48:41 am »
yes and i would make you a good deal too  :wink:
by the way there are 3 scarfs in most of the pictures so don't be confused i will say one scarf is $15 - two scarfs is $20 and three scarfs are $25
JUST FOR NESSAHOLICS!!!! (is that a fair deal?)

xoxo