Author Topic: Fan Reviews of Heroes and Thieves  (Read 31433 times)

liquidblue244

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
Re: String
« Reply #75 on: September 29, 2007, 04:19:23 pm »
Quote from: "HarmySandwhich"
Quote from: "liquidblue244"
Quote from: "HarmySandwhich"
Quote from: "liquidblue244"
Quote from: "therealchriss"
The problem with the strings on HoM is that either a) they used a terrible synth string program, or b) the strings are out of tune. The highs sound very tinny, also.

The strings are TWANGY. I think it was done on purpose because of her reference to the Dalai Lama, it has that ethnic quality to it. It was done on purpose......did anyone else notice that?

Good interpretation but if it was done because of that, I think they ruined it.

They didn't ruin it. The song is fucking amazing.

Opinions are opinions.  :lol:

True True. Forgive me for defensive a second ago.

And all the constellations, shine down on you and me...

whitehouses81680

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
Fan Reviews of Heroes and Thieves
« Reply #76 on: September 29, 2007, 05:07:34 pm »
Spring street is the new afterglow

nolita fairytale is the new white houses

NoelleNC

• You aren't tryin'
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Noelle1822
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 29, 2007, 05:52:43 pm »
Quote from: "whitehouses81680"

Ummm, idk about Spring Street being the new Afterglow. Spring Street is my favorite song on H&T so far and I absolutely do not like the song Afterglow. Afterglow is a love song. Spring Street is not a love song. They aren't even similar. lol

Jophess

• Keepin' secrets at midnight
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Email
« Reply #78 on: September 29, 2007, 06:12:42 pm »
Okay, I'm going to go on a mini-rant.

It's sorta bothering how people are saying "Spring Street is the new Afterglow... Fools Like Me is the new Private Radio... HaT is the new OD, etc etc etc" Spring Street is the new Spring Street. FlM is the new FlM.... I'll admit that HaT does sound like OD, but it's in 3/4, so HA!

I don't think many people are realizing how different these songs are in terms of the arrangements and the production and the writing style. And it's not fair to just label a fresh song as just a rehash of an old song. It's not fair to V. These songs have a life of their own and they are each unique in their own way.

[/rant]
Joe

charmedguy18

« Reply #79 on: September 29, 2007, 06:29:47 pm »
The album is terrific. I think Irv had a slight negative influence. Doesn't compare to Harmonium, unfortunately.

itsthefiveofus

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 29, 2007, 06:45:16 pm »
Quote from: "whitehouses81680"

true. well in my sense

Current takes me out, what will be, will be. Floating on the sea, stars are watching me.

ManuelD

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 29, 2007, 08:03:46 pm »
Nolita Fairytale: 8/10

Hands on Me: 7.5/10

Spring Street: 9.5/10

My Best: 5.5/10

Come Undone: 8/10

The One: 8.5/10

Heroes and Thieves: 11/10

This Time: 7.5/10

Fools Like Me: 8/10

Home: 9/10

More Than This: 11/10

Overall: 8.5/10

itsthefiveofus

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 29, 2007, 08:26:51 pm »
Nolita Fairytale: 8/10
Hands on Me: 9/10
Fools Like Me: 8/10
Home: 10/10
Come Undone: 8/10
The One: 8/10
Heroes and Thieves: 9/10
This Time: 9/10
My Best: 9/10
More Than This: 9/10

Overall: 9/10

Current takes me out, what will be, will be. Floating on the sea, stars are watching me.

emil0ca

• Willing and Able to... Run
    • MSN Messenger - emil0ca@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://devoted.to/cardinalbabes
« Reply #83 on: September 29, 2007, 09:09:00 pm »
Nolita Fairtyale: Kind of the perfect first single for her. Shows what she has been doing with her time and it's mainstream enough. Love the structure of the song. Not a huge fan of dropping Stevie's name in the middle, but whatever.

Hands on Me: The drum is a bit drowsy; sounds like a drum machine from the beginning. Not a huge fan of the production on this song. Makes the song a bit dull; this song was so gorgeous live. I do adore the strings. King of a huge 80's vibe when the chorus hits. Bit of a Stevie vibe too. Weird. Would make an excellent second single though, as it is very catchy.

Spring Street: This song sounds soooo familiar for some reason. Can't place it, but I've heard some combination of these notes before. The verses are so lyrically beautiful and the chorus is kind of a letdown as a result. It's a very good song though. Pretty production.

My Best: While I don't think this song is as good as Vanessa does, it's a pretty decent little song. It's not a really memorable song, but it's quite sweet. Strange 80's vibe here too. The production is excellent.

Come Undone: This is one of my favorite tracks off the album. Excellent single material. It's quirky enough to stay true to her roots, but has enough mainstream appeal that it could do very well on radio. Could be a massive hit if it's promoted properly, at least in my opinion.

The One: I actually do not have a huge problem with the Stevie vocals. I prefer the live versions to the actual studio version though. This was probably my favorite song of all the live versions; it was the one I was looking forward to the most. Didn't live up to my personal hype, but it's a strong track.

Heroes & Thieves: Such a majestic song. I used to be an Irish dancer and the strings in the background make me laugh as they sound very similar to songs I used to dance to. The production is ace on this one as well. Her voice sounds a lot better on the studio version than in other versions I have heard.

This Time: Such a disappointment! Loved this song and they completely slowed it down to the point where it just a bore. Her voice sounds so off in the bridge; she's practically shouting. Completely forgettable.

Fools Like Me: Ugh, not a fan of what they did to this song either. I was expecting Fools Like Me to be the darkest song on the album, but it's probably brighter than half of these songs. It's still a good song, but like some of the others... I prefer it live.

Home: Her strongest song on the album. Lyrically and musically, it's beautiful. It's a bit like a nursery rhyme at the beginning and that kind of drags me in. The outro is fantastic. There's a moment though... get a total Styx vibe. Would make an excellent final single, in my opinion.

More Than This: Beautiful work here, from lyrics, to music, to production. Stunning song. I will have to ditto the rest of you who said you can see it in movie trailers and the like; it's perfect for that. "And the tree grows so thick..." is one of my favorite parts of the song. The way she sings it... love it.

Grades:
Nolita Fairytale: 9/10
Hands on Me: 9/10
My Best: 8.5/10
Come Undone: 10/10
The One: 9/10
Heroes & Thieves: 9.5/10
This Time: 6/10
Fools Like Me: 7/10
Home: 10/10
More Than This: 10/10

For an overall grade of: 88.63, B+. She might get an A with repeated listenings.  :wink:

This is her best overall work to date. I loved Harmonium, but it had its major faults in my eyes. It was a strong album, but Heroes & Thieves tops it, no doubt. At least, to me. :D

**Ann-Marie89**

• You're a Genuine Wannabe
    • MSN Messenger - buttaflikat@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/NZannmarie89
    • Email
Spring Street.....and the new album
« Reply #84 on: September 29, 2007, 09:46:11 pm »
To be honest I'm not sure that this album IS Nessa's best work.. Like don't get angry at me its just my opinion, but the whole reason I loved Nessa in the first place was cause I love Classically based music, and I loved how she was so creative not just with words but rhythms and styles too. All her old stuff, especially the B-sides and many off Harmonium like Papa, were all amazing songs that were so original compared to ANYTHING else out there. She has to be the only performer who can play just her and the piano and still sound complete.
With Heroes and Thieves this isn't the case. It needs the back up vocals, the drums, the orchestral arrangements and the layers. I'm just not sure she has stuck to who she is, or whether she is sacrificing her style for the sake of commercial success? Thats not to say I think that's wrong, its all about different priorities. But If you guys listen to Other Linda Perry songs- many of Christina Aguilera's songs are written by her. You can hear the EXACT same construction techniques. Simple compositional techniques like not straying from a key, sticking to simple triad chords (major or minor) modulation, 1st-5th and 7th chord progressions etc. Very "modern" But NOT avante garde or original. Vanessa's new album is very beautiful in its honesty, and I think it will do well. But only because it's content is aimed for those with a limited musical palette. Notice how it's labelled as "Pop"?
I just feel that creatively, Vanessa showed SO much more variety of styles and ideas in her old stuff! Compare Red Ditty, Papa, A Thousand Miles, Unsung, Prince, Birdie, and Twilight. All very different from each other. But to me, The One, This Time, and Home are all very similar. Don't get me wrong I love her stuff! I just think maybe she gave up on her old stuff because people "didn't like it"
So sad.... :(

Anyway just my piece ^_^ Hopefully no one takes offense to this. 8O
And this isn't a dig! I'm just disagreeing with those who think that this is her best album..

Katherine Ann Marie
**Ann-Marie like a mirror of what you wanna be**

*Tutorials* and Nessa Song Demonstrations of Accurate Transcriptions from Me, Myself and I, as well as Pianobea, Blueglove and Maag (mentioned on each song where applicable) on Youtube! Yay!! (Go See! ^_^)

http://www.youtube.com/NZannmarie89

**Ann-Marie89**

• View Profile
    • Email
One last thing..
« Reply #85 on: September 29, 2007, 09:49:51 pm »
Oh and one last thing, I HATE Stevie in the vocals! Arrrggh she sounds so low and croaky and clashes with Vanessa's voice. And Stevie does sound like a dying water buffalo... lol (that's a quote from someone else..)

And unfortunately My Chemical Romance came up with the "soldier marching theme" first, otherwise More than This would have been the PERFECT song. It's still awesome :)

Katherine Ann Marie xox

*Tutorials* and Nessa Song Demonstrations of Accurate Transcriptions from Me, Myself and I, as well as Pianobea, Blueglove and Maag (mentioned on each song where applicable) on Youtube! Yay!! (Go See! ^_^)

PianoPlayer12

• Fine as dandelions
    • MSN Messenger - anthony_the_great_g6@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Mattia1045
    • View Profile
    • Nessfan12
Re: One last thing..
« Reply #86 on: September 29, 2007, 10:22:39 pm »
Quote from: "**Ann-Marie89**"
And unfortunately My Chemical Romance came up with the "soldier marching theme" first, otherwise More than This would have been the PERFECT song. It's still awesome :)

Katherine Ann Marie xox

MCR has a song where they mentions soldiers coming home?

Lets Make This Our Story. Lets Live In The Glory. Time It Fades Away Precious As A Song. Cause Someday We'll Be Gone
www.freewebs.com/nessfan12<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

**Ann-Marie89**

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #87 on: September 30, 2007, 01:38:13 am »
The theme of war/soldiers etc not just in the lyrics, but in the music. Hence the title "The black parade" You know, how there is a chorus of people singing at the end like a real "marching band" lol and with that drum beat... and everything... Just the whole theme! MCR don't specifically talk about Soldiers coming home, but they use the theme of soldiers and ideas associated with them as a basis for their recent stuff.
I'm not really a big fan of them btw.... Bit too emo...

But anyway its just the idea.

But yea just a thought. More than this is still my Fav song tho!  :D

Oh and I suppose the idea that Vanessa is trying to get across is a much more postive uplifting one than that of MCR... for obvious reasons.

**Ann-Marie89**

• View Profile
    • Email
More Than This Ending
« Reply #88 on: September 30, 2007, 02:47:33 am »
And has anyone noticed the dog barking at the end? Haha its right at the end and I bet its her dog! lol  :D

abredli

• View Profile
Re: Spring Street.....and the new album
« Reply #89 on: September 30, 2007, 02:51:18 am »
Quote from: "**Ann-Marie89**"
To be honest I'm not sure that this album IS Nessa's best work.. Like don't get angry at me its just my opinion, but the whole reason I loved Nessa in the first place was cause I love Classically based music, and I loved how she was so creative not just with words but rhythms and styles too. All her old stuff, especially the B-sides and many off Harmonium like Papa, were all amazing songs that were so original compared to ANYTHING else out there. She has to be the only performer who can play just her and the piano and still sound complete.
With Heroes and Thieves this isn't the case. It needs the back up vocals, the drums, the orchestral arrangements and the layers. I'm just not sure she has stuck to who she is, or whether she is sacrificing her style for the sake of commercial success? Thats not to say I think that's wrong, its all about different priorities. But If you guys listen to Other Linda Perry songs- many of Christina Aguilera's songs are written by her. You can hear the EXACT same construction techniques. Simple compositional techniques like not straying from a key, sticking to simple triad chords (major or minor) modulation, 1st-5th and 7th chord progressions etc. Very "modern" But NOT avante garde or original. Vanessa's new album is very beautiful in its honesty, and I think it will do well. But only because it's content is aimed for those with a limited musical palette. Notice how it's labelled as "Pop"?
I just feel that creatively, Vanessa showed SO much more variety of styles and ideas in her old stuff! Compare Red Ditty, Papa, A Thousand Miles, Unsung, Prince, Birdie, and Twilight. All very different from each other. But to me, The One, This Time, and Home are all very similar. Don't get me wrong I love her stuff! I just think maybe she gave up on her old stuff because people "didn't like it"
So sad.... :(

Anyway just my piece ^_^ Hopefully no one takes offense to this. 8O
And this isn't a dig! I'm just disagreeing with those who think that this is her best album..

Katherine Ann Marie

I couldnt agree more in what youre saying!!!