Author Topic: Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events  (Read 2610 times)

BWilli

• Speeding into the horizon
    • MSN Messenger - bdubprod@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events
« on: January 03, 2005, 11:37:32 am »
Who's seen it?  or read the books?

I enjoyed the film.  Coulda been better, but from what I've heard, it stays true to the books for the most part.

Plastic_Love1030

• You're a Genuine Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2005, 02:01:56 pm »
I have done both (books and movie), and actually it is quite faithful except for a few minor grudges I had (since I am an ASOUE bookie). One was that the time spans they stayed at their relatives was greatly elapsed (I guess for running time reasons) and some of the plot events were out of order. But overall I loved the movie, and was very happy about how it was adapted. I'm sort of on the fence about Carrey as Olaf, as he overacts a lot. However, Olaf in the books does too, but his humor isn't as over the top as Carrey's portrayal... if you have not read the books, you may be lost and/or hate the movie. Most people I know who didn't read the books and saw the movie hated it, but my mother and stepfather thought it was good, so really there've been mixed opinions.
Concert Tickets: $15
CD to support opening band: $3
Being in the same room as 'Nessa: priceless
10-30-04: Best day of my life!
Stand up, boy
I shine so bright when you're around

jlmusicchick

• Keepin' secrets at midnight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2005, 05:44:46 pm »
saw the movie, LOVED it. never read any of the books but now i want to because the movie was so good! it really is a movie for all ages - both child and adult humor (which is what makes 'lemony snicket' so good imo)

neos

• VCUBs
  • I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
  • Prat Twin #1
    • AOL Instant Messenger - superneos
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2005, 10:24:42 am »
I LOVED the film, it was brilliant. I had no idea there were books until atfer I saw the film but I wouldn't mind reading them at all.

I agree about Jim Carrey. I'm glad I went to see the film in spite of him and his over-acting being in it though. Actually, I haven't disliked his films this year - I loved Eternal Sunshine too

there's only four seasons
and this one's almost gone
these nights feel so good
but this one's almost gone

Plastic_Love1030

• You're a Genuine Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2005, 01:09:45 pm »
Yes, many people do not know about Lemony Snicket. My friend started me on them and I started my town on them :) Despite the fact that his books are well-loved by the fanbase he has, Lemony flew under the radar, just as many other great authors have (Ursula K. LeGuin is a perfect example. Her book A Wizard of Earthsea was recently made into a miniseries- which was awful; atrocious if you know the source material as I do... I read the books because they sounded interesting and they are truly  beautiful works of literature.)
I advise you to read the books. They are touching, funny, and not too lengthy (I read the first book in about 3 hrs.)
Concert Tickets: $15
CD to support opening band: $3
Being in the same room as 'Nessa: priceless
10-30-04: Best day of my life!
Stand up, boy
I shine so bright when you're around