Author Topic: Paint it Black  (Read 2670 times)

amberbeads

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Idledaylight01
    • View Profile
    • http://shameless-selfpromo.blogspot.com
Paint it Black
« on: March 22, 2004, 12:15:20 pm »
i couldn't find posts on this (maybe i wasn't looking hard enough). anywho, delete it if it's been asked before.

why did vanessa choose to cover this song?
*natalie*

at least i can say
i was not afraid
i loved you all the way
i'd pick the fool any day.

All I Ask2003

• Your true colors shown
    • AOL Instant Messenger - kyyyyyy
    • View Profile
Paint it Black
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2004, 02:28:41 pm »
I remember reading in an old interview that she chose the song because it was kind of how she was feeling at the time. She was working on Be not Nobody when she was suffering from depression, and she decided to record Paint it Black because she thought it was a good expression of her emotions.
sig & av by natalie, thank you!

blueglove

• I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
    • View Profile
    • Email
Paint it Black
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2004, 05:32:23 pm »
she also liked the way that it was mysterious and suck their was more but i can not find the interview! :(
Peace
-S

All I Ask2003

• Your true colors shown
    • AOL Instant Messenger - kyyyyyy
    • View Profile
Paint it Black
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2004, 07:13:33 pm »
Quote from: "blueglove"
she also liked the way that it was mysterious and suck their was more but i can not find the interview! :(

By Kerry Doole

Here’s the scenario. You’re a young singer/songwriter finally given a chance to make your first record. You’re in a top LA studio, the president of your record label is on hand as the producer, and a 70-piece orchestra is there to flesh out your compositions. Nervous yet?
   Well, in the case of Vanessa Carlton, no, actually. She told Access recently that “by the time I got to the studio with Ron Fair, my producer, I was so together. I just knew what I wanted. I was never intimidated. It was always ‘this was what I was supposed to be doing. I have worked real hard and I deserve my orchestra, my songs deserve it.’ I never felt any pressure, and just had a beautiful time recording the album.”
   This self-confidence (bordering on smugness) has served this fast-rising new star well. It seemed you couldn’t go anywhere this summer without hearing her smash hit single, ‘A Thousand Miles’, on the radio, and her debut CD, Be Not Nobody, is likely to generate more hits.
   The ambitious Vanessa had earlier sought success in another creative field, dance. “I became obsessed with ballet,” she explains. “Dance was never a detour. It was my identity at that time. I was 14 when I was accepted into the School of American Ballet in New York. I left home [Milford, Pennsylvania] and moved into the dorm in Lincoln Center.”
   The rigorous discipline and competitiveness of dance training took its toll. “I flourished when I loved what I was doing. It was when your heart starts to ache at the thought of going to class that it became impossible. It became a burden, and I ran to the piano, desperately.”
   Carlton is classically trained on piano, and her own compositions have an atmospheric and melodic sense that reflects those roots. “You can’t hear the music of composers like Debussy and Satie without being moved deeply, and that is what I wanted to create on my album.”
   It’s a long way from Erik Satie to The Stones, but Vanessa has turned ears with her version of The Rolling Stones classic ‘Paint It Black’, the only non-original tune on Be Not Nobody.
   “I just loved the melody,” she says. “I didn’t really like the singing on the original, and I wanted to hear it sung my way. It’s one of those songs where you love it but have an itch to hear it sung a different way, so I did it myself!”
   The road from ballet-school dropout to chart-topping singer wasn’t always easy. At age 17, Vanessa was waitressing in Manhattan during the week and recording demos at her parents’ home on the weekend. These eventually caught industry attention, and she signed a deal with A&M/Universal.
   It was still not plain-sailing. “There were years of sitting on my label where no-one cared. I know what it is like when you are not a priority, so when you are, you do appreciate it.”
   The writing process gives Vanessa the biggest rush. “I just love writing. That’s where it all starts, and I’m excited as I feel I am growing a lot as a songwriter. That is really where my heart is. Then performing the songs I write is almost like meditation.”

i don't think that's the one where it talks about her going through depression and that's why she chose it. if it's not, then i'll try to get that one...
sig & av by natalie, thank you!

amberbeads

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Idledaylight01
    • View Profile
    • http://shameless-selfpromo.blogspot.com
Paint it Black
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2004, 07:16:07 pm »
excellent! thanks so much!~
*natalie*

at least i can say
i was not afraid
i loved you all the way
i'd pick the fool any day.

DramaQueen

• You're a Genuine Wannabe
    • MSN Messenger - confloozed1@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://www.confloozed.net
Paint it Black
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2004, 01:55:50 am »
i dont know why but i, for one, am glad she did, because i have a new appreciation for that song now...
Sig lines are for LOSERS -- oh, wait...

blueglove

• I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
    • View Profile
    • Email
Paint it Black
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2004, 09:16:16 am »
it is better live than on the cd !
Peace
-S

Dr. Pepper

• You're a Genuine Wannabe
    • AOL Instant Messenger - mattguy0127
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - mafachu@sbcglobal.net
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gamesprint.netfirms.com
Really?
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2004, 04:45:45 pm »
That's good to know.  I've never seen Vanessa live (Urgh) and I'm glad that she can actually sing!  Unlike some others who just make an album and have their voice distorted, she does a very good job from the live media I've seen.  

I love Paint it Black and I agree with her...I listened to the original and it sounds like it just wasn't produced right...she added umph to it for it to reach its full potential
"'Cause I've seen Twilight"