Author Topic: Definition of a Nessaholic: An Observation  (Read 5594 times)

zurielshimon

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • AOL Instant Messenger - weetbixkid36
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/193866568
Definition of a Nessaholic: An Observation
« on: May 08, 2003, 10:01:05 pm »
This is a post I made a little earlier on the VCMB in response to someone's comments on the song "Superhero" and what Vanessa had to say about it herself.  After I read it for myself, I thought I would copy it over here because you might get a kick out of it, and it's all true and you know it. :wink:

The favorite songs of one's most devoted fans are almost always going to be ones that didn't make the album. Even songs that she doesn't like, a lot of fans are going to love in every way. A song she never finished could be the inspiration one special fan may need. When it comes to us madly dedicated fans, we're going to love anything that comes from the desk of Vanessa Carlton. If she talks about boogers and snot, we listen and enjoy. If she decides to stop 30 seconds into a song to belch, we cheer like raving lunatics! Heaven help us all should she be walking by a crowd of us one night and suddenly sneeze on somebody! ("I'll never bathe again!") I dare say that if she ever decided to take a break from writing and recording songs for a while, she could make great money duct-taping paying fans to things!

Y'all don't feel bad.  I'm in this with you! :D
Dustin

Vultch

• Moderators
  • Speeding into the horizon
  • Trading Yesterday
    • AOL Instant Messenger - BVulture
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theageof.info
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2003, 10:06:32 pm »
that is funny because it is SO TRUE

She can do no wrong. She could sing the white pages and I'd buy it!
And my favorites from her are thus far unreleased. Its what made me the rare music wh0re in the beginning. I heard the clip of Superhero and was determined to get the full thing... and the collection grew exponentially from there.
Duct-taping of fans I'll leave to Mike tho.

nicole

• Moderators
  • Fine as dandelions
  • more rides than great adventure
    • AOL Instant Messenger - lovePLASTIClove
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2003, 10:07:08 pm »
I can't say I agree, but everyone is entitled to their opinion. :) Thanks for sharing!

zurielshimon

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • AOL Instant Messenger - weetbixkid36
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/193866568
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2003, 11:43:55 pm »
Several weeks ago, I believe I did say I would buy a 25-minute album of random chords and incoherent mumbling (as if some dialect of Ozzese) should someone have a tape recorder handy when there's a sloppy-faced Vanessa in the house.

But all that aside, whoever it is, you're going to have fans who will love anything, buy anything, fall to their knees over anything, and whatever else.  People are weird.  I should know.  A list of all the different Beatles merchandise that's been sold over the years would rival the Anthology in size if published in book form.  Elvis is another perfect example---How much did someone pay for his toenail clippings?! 8O

This kind of thing isn't new either, by far.  Even Shakspere wrote in the lines of his play 'Julius Caesar' that the people would try to pluck hairs from Caesar's head as souvenirs.

People are just nutty.  And obsessive.  What causes that?  What did Vanessa do to us to make us choose her?  And what does she think about it?  It seems to me that she's embraced it.  She has quickly gotten comfortable with the license we've all given her to be as nutty as she really is in front of all of us.  It's both a factor and a result of the wonderful connection Vanessa has with her fans.  I should write a book. :D
Dustin

Dancernl

• Fine as dandelions
    • AOL Instant Messenger - balletstar86
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/dancernl/Menu9.html
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2003, 01:24:28 pm »
I agree to some extent.  I wanted to reply to another thread about just how big a Vanessa fan you are, but here it seems more appropriate.  I don't think there is any way to gauge how big a fan of Vanessa someone is.  It doesn't matter how far you've traveled to see her, how many pictures you have of her, how many times you've met her, and what ever else all kinds of crazy stuff you've done for Vanessa.  It shouldn't matter how many rare songs of hers you have.  It's not a competition to be the biggest and best Vanessa fan ever.  What it all comes down to is a love of her music, even if the only thing you've ever heard of hers is A Thousand Miles or Ordinary Day.  As long as we continue to support Vanessa and her music in whatever way, big or small, then we are all number one fans.
It is a crime to kill a neighbor, and an act of heroism to kill an enemy.  But who is an enemy and who is a neighbor is purely a matter of social definition.  - E.R. Leach

tricia

• Moderators
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Trust me, I'm a doctor.
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2003, 02:06:56 pm »
Well said Nikki.

BTW...if she sneezed on me, I'd freak out...in a bad way
I think you underestimate the level of my sneakiness

nicole

• Moderators
  • Fine as dandelions
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2003, 02:17:40 pm »
Quote from: "Dancernl"
I agree to some extent.  I wanted to reply to another thread about just how big a Vanessa fan you are, but here it seems more appropriate.  I don't think there is any way to gauge how big a fan of Vanessa someone is.  It doesn't matter how far you've traveled to see her, how many pictures you have of her, how many times you've met her, and what ever else all kinds of crazy stuff you've done for Vanessa.  It shouldn't matter how many rare songs of hers you have.  It's not a competition to be the biggest and best Vanessa fan ever.  What it all comes down to is a love of her music, even if the only thing you've ever heard of hers is A Thousand Miles or Ordinary Day.  As long as we continue to support Vanessa and her music in whatever way, big or small, then we are all number one fans.

*claps*

Katia's Lover

• I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GSUCarltonFan
    • View Profile
    • http://www.southern-connection.com
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2003, 02:56:43 pm »

liar!

I am the biggest and bestest V fan of them all!  

:wink:  :twisted:  :wink:  :twisted:  :wink:  :twisted:
katiakaysha: you win
katiakaysha: you're right

I'm on a mission to piss the world off.  Is it your turn yet?!

http://losersareentertaining.blogspot.com/

nicole

• Moderators
  • Fine as dandelions
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2003, 03:17:01 pm »
Quote from: "GSUCarltonFan"

liar!

yea ok you dork :)

Wonkies

• Ex-Mod
  • You aren't tryin'
    • AOL Instant Messenger - W0nkies
    • View Profile
    • http://www.neverbrokenmusic.com
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2003, 03:35:14 pm »
Quote from: "DixieChck615"

Yuck!  Me too!  I'd be all grossed out and want to take a shower right away.

http://www.neverbrokenmusic.com
"Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try." -Homer Simpson

Katia's Lover

• I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GSUCarltonFan
    • View Profile
    • http://www.southern-connection.com
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2003, 03:44:39 pm »
Quote from: "nikkee"

liar!

yea ok you dork :)

:P
katiakaysha: you win
katiakaysha: you're right

I'm on a mission to piss the world off.  Is it your turn yet?!

http://losersareentertaining.blogspot.com/

Dancernl

• Fine as dandelions
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2003, 06:02:38 pm »

liar!

LOL, there's an exception to every rule!
It is a crime to kill a neighbor, and an act of heroism to kill an enemy.  But who is an enemy and who is a neighbor is purely a matter of social definition.  - E.R. Leach

nicole

• Moderators
  • Fine as dandelions
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2003, 06:12:01 pm »
Quote from: "Wonkies"
Quote from: "DixieChck615"

Yuck!  Me too!  I'd be all grossed out and want to take a shower right away.

haha I'll believe that one!

David Hart

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2003, 06:54:22 pm »
feminine hygene products ::shudders::

Dancernl

• Fine as dandelions
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2003, 07:55:42 pm »
Quote from: "David Hart"
feminine hygene products ::shudders::

I'm wicked confused, but I won't ask.....LMAO!