Author Topic: Programming languages  (Read 10423 times)

skyestar

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • AOL Instant Messenger - lintitinwe
    • View Profile
Re: ...
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2003, 08:11:25 pm »
Quote from: "happyzen"

:arrow: HAPPYZEN = biggest nerd on the forum :-)

you say that after all that talk? lol you have low self esteem hun. no offense to the computer wiz guys. i love nerds  :lol:

Fixed your double post ;) -KevMod

Will

• Moderators
  • Fine as dandelions
  • Advanced anti-spam registrations filter
    • View Profile
Re: Ooooooooh
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2003, 08:55:26 pm »
Quote from: "Grakthis"
And as for the car being art thing.... a car's EXTERNAL appearance can be "art".  If someone tried to tell me that the way a car worked was art, I would laugh at them.

You don't know enough engineers then. The non-computer sort. The same type of people who marvel about how beautiful the design of the Saturn V or the Hoover Dam are.

And as for real life socializing. Who said I don't? Stuff is just too crazy to go visit some friends during the week. Doesn't mean I don't do junk on weekends.
"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." -Ozzy Osborne

rroo

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vanessacarlton.info
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2003, 01:10:52 pm »
I learnt to program in Turbo Pascal. Now I'm using Delphi 6. I switched because Delphi Applications allow me to control Excel with OLE automation.

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Lord Andrew
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Grakthis
    • View Profile
    • http://www.grakthis.com
hmmm
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2003, 11:59:19 am »
You know what Will.... im gonna chalk this up to you being 16 and not knowing any better.  Programming is not art.  Engines are not art.  Engineering is not art.  Art requires immagination.  I'm a programmer (well, really, im a solutions provider first, programmer second), and while programming requires ingenuity (sp?) it does NOT require immagination.

We old people have the advantage of being able to settle disagreements that way.  We just say "You're too young to understand".  And instantly, we win.  It's nice.  One of the few advantages of getting old.

And i still don't like you.
---Andrew
If you are reading this, you are probably on my ignore list.  Click here to return the favor

Wagella Wrote:Yay for Bigotry!!

---Andrew

kev222

• VCUBs
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • zero vector
    • AOL Instant Messenger - k3v222
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kev.nu/vc
    • Email
Programming languages
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2003, 05:34:53 pm »
The problem that I see with this is that "art" is not properly defined. Andrew, you have only just now given a (partial) definition, that definition being that art requires a certain amount of imagination. Will has yet to provide a definition, although I suspect it woukdl differ from your's.

So this goes the way of most debates before it, which is that you're both arguing valid points from the basis of different definition domains. Just as we were arguing which type of programming language was "best" earlier, using different definitions of "best".

Who has the authority to define art absolutely?

The eldest perhaps? lol

-Kev

MartUK

• Make me high on lullabies
    • View Profile
Programming languages
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2003, 05:38:21 am »
Right. I define "art" as:
the second person singular present indicative of "be".

Programming and engineering fit very nicely into that definition, don't you think?
;)

Will

• Moderators
  • Fine as dandelions
  • Advanced anti-spam registrations filter
    • View Profile
Re: hmmm
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2003, 07:25:24 am »
Quote from: "Grakthis"

We old people have the advantage of being able to settle disagreements that way.  We just say "You're too young to understand".  And instantly, we win.

Maybe in your own universe. Einstein came across the same thing with the scientific establishment at the time. But, even though I'm no Einstein, it goes to show that age doesn't win an arguement. Would you really like to argue that Newtonian physics is more accurate than Relativistic physics?

Nah... maybe in your own mind, age wins arguments. In the real world, it doesn't.
"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." -Ozzy Osborne