Author Topic: which vanessa song is going to be a hit?  (Read 15278 times)

ordinaryday6

• Your true colors shown
    • AOL Instant Messenger - ordinaryday6
    • View Profile
which vanessa song is going to be a hit?
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2006, 05:10:50 am »
i really hope i'm not disappointed with this album.
Samuel
(he/him)

MeganJane

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
    • My music on myspace!
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2006, 06:33:40 am »

I'm preparing myself for it...
"Music produces a kind of pleasure that human nature cannot do without."
-CONFUCIUS

"It is hard. You have to fight for who you are everyday" -VANESSA CARLTON

« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2006, 07:05:12 am »
Quote from: "MeganJane"

Unfortunately, I too am preparing myself to be underwhelmed.  Harmonium is my favorite album ever, so I would never expect it to be that good (to me), but I'm a bit paranoid due to what I'm hearing from Vanessa in her posts and what I heard from Sammy and Natalie when they heard some of the tracks.  I'm afraid this is going to be a considerable step back from BNN even.

The optimist in me is saying that the Linda Perry songs will be disappointing, but merely radio fodder for the teeny-boppers, and the rest of the album will be as spectuacular as I come to expect from Vanessa.

« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2006, 07:15:49 am »

Isn't that sad? I hope that she doesn't lose her credibility, at least in our eyes. Well, at least to those of us who like her for her non-ATM tracks. I don't really care what people think of my musical tastes, as long as I enjoy it, but I still don't want people to be like, "What? You like Vanessa Carlton? I thought you didn't like that kind of music"... does anyone get what I mean? That forgettable mainstream pop stuff, that's "cool" for a couple of weeks and then forgotten?

If her whole third album sounds like those clips of Perry's This Time, then her credibility will take a huge hit in my book, because, as much as I hate to say it, she'd be selling out.  If there are only a few tracks like that, I'd be okay, because in that case she'd just be compramising.  And, in the music industry today, an artist pretty much has to do that to stay afloat.

I know what you're saying about people's comments, but I get that when I say I like Vanessa right now anyway.  I only like a few artists/groups that would ever be on MTV or popular radio, so when I say I like Vanessa to someone they have a bit of a fit and call me a hypocrite.  But, then I get to defend Vanessa and explain how different she is and let them listen to some of her less popular tracks, and that almost always changes their mind about how to brand Vanessa in the future...and I like to do that. :D

IfICouldFall

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2006, 08:00:09 am »
Quote from: "abbottANDcostello"

Isn't that sad? I hope that she doesn't lose her credibility, at least in our eyes. Well, at least to those of us who like her for her non-ATM tracks. I don't really care what people think of my musical tastes, as long as I enjoy it, but I still don't want people to be like, "What? You like Vanessa Carlton? I thought you didn't like that kind of music"... does anyone get what I mean? That forgettable mainstream pop stuff, that's "cool" for a couple of weeks and then forgotten?

If her whole third album sounds like those clips of Perry's This Time, then her credibility will take a huge hit in my book, because, as much as I hate to say it, she'd be selling out.  If there are only a few tracks like that, I'd be okay, because in that case she'd just be compramising.  And, in the music industry today, an artist pretty much has to do that to stay afloat.

I know what you're saying about people's comments, but I get that when I say I like Vanessa right now anyway.  I only like a few artists/groups that would ever be on MTV or popular radio, so when I say I like Vanessa to someone they have a bit of a fit and call me a hypocrite.  But, then I get to defend Vanessa and explain how different she is and let them listen to some of her less popular tracks, and that almost always changes their mind about how to brand Vanessa in the future...and I like to do that. :D

yes! i think that vanessa is only doing this to get back into becaoming well-known like in the ATM days. I'm pretty sure that her first single is going to be a Perry song. She would attract more people to her music and then, hopefully, she'll release a 2nd single that is Vanessa-ish. All we can do is hope for the best i guess.

:(

PianoGirl4444

• Fine as dandelions
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shannonthomas.net
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2006, 08:32:18 am »
None of us can really know Vanessa's intentions.  I personally disagree with all of you who think she's "selling out."  From what I've heard so far her songs still sound like her songs...and I'm more convinced than ever that V could never let me down.  

There's no way in hell I'd be disappointed by her album.
Cross paths with what you used to have. You've gotta learn that you've gotta earn
The fantasy
:: shannonthomas.net ::

Ghisy

• VCUBs
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • V-Unit!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Ghis+V
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2006, 09:41:16 am »
Quote from: "PianoGirl4444"

Finally someone with a sense of reason ;)
Ghisy
The Original French NESSAholic

Martin.

• Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Connected to a million stars and lights.
    • View Profile
    • Sworn Under An Oath To War
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2006, 09:59:00 am »
Quote from: "PianoGirl4444"
None of us can really know Vanessa's intentions.  I personally disagree with all of you who think she's "selling out."  From what I've heard so far her songs still sound like her songs...and I'm more convinced than ever that V could never let me down.  

i agree with you

bluebutterfly

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/jesster22
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2006, 09:55:44 pm »

Unfortunately, I too am preparing myself to be underwhelmed.  Harmonium is my favorite album ever, so I would never expect it to be that good (to me),
 agreed 100% with u all there.

MeganJane

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
    • My music on myspace!
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2006, 01:54:44 am »
If all Vanessa's songs were like ATM, Pretty Baby, etc., then I would NOT be a fan. So if that's what this album is like, I will be very, very disappointed. If I were a "pop" fan, then chances are I'd like whatever Linda Perry-type stuff they come up with. But that's completely NOT my taste, and I'm sure that others will agree with me.

I really like Best Behaviour, All is Well, and The One (Not really This Time though, it's really...average), but I'm getting the feeling that even after the album is released, I'll still be listening to the live bootlegs instead!
"Music produces a kind of pleasure that human nature cannot do without."
-CONFUCIUS

"It is hard. You have to fight for who you are everyday" -VANESSA CARLTON

meraphix

• You're a Genuine Wannabe
    • MSN Messenger - Harmonium@hotmail.co.uk
    • View Profile
    • http://www.seattlecommunity.tz4.com
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2006, 06:01:47 am »
I'm making my debut post here. You guys may know me from the official Vanessa Carlton board. I disappeared and came back several times. I've been listening to these new tracks and I have to say i'm overwhelmed. I love them, all of them and not a single bad comment. This third album will be better than Be Not Nobody and definitely better than Harmonium. For me, Harmonium wasn't neccessarily different, but it lacked a stronger melody that was present in Be Not Nobody. I'm talking about the way Nessa used her lyrics to sing.

Nevertheless, I didn't mind Harmonium. It certainly lacked something but I wasn't disappointed. It was a fairly good attempt. She said that all the songs she debuted would appear on the album. I've heard about 5 of them (Best Behaviour, Put your Arms on Me, The One, This Time, All is Well) and that's already half the tracks on the album, assuming Nessa releases about 10-11 songs on her new album, which is more than likely.

*Whoa...long sentance...break*

The third album will be amazing. It will sell more. To those complaining that it's taken a long time, I disagree. It's been very short since her sophmore effort and the new songs.

EDIT: I realised, I already made 8 posts. I'm not aware of them at all. As to answer the question of the thread. They all have an equal chance to debut as a single. I, personally want The One to debut. Beautiful track. Absolutely beautiful.
我有一天希望我将过我的生活喜欢我是该。我不希望再度是害怕的。

ordinaryday6

• Your true colors shown
    • AOL Instant Messenger - ordinaryday6
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2006, 07:21:39 am »
BNN > Harmonium? are you shitting me? no way.
Samuel
(he/him)

meraphix

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2006, 07:37:49 am »
Quote from: "ordinaryday6"

No. I'm sorry. I'm not shitting you. It's an objective opinion though. What I think you may not agree with.

« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2006, 08:24:26 am »
Quote from: "meraphix"

No. I'm sorry. I'm not shitting you. It's an objective opinion though. What I think you may not agree with.

Objective means that your comment is completely devoid of any kind of personal bias and you are using only facts on which to base your assertion.  This is why they say newspaper writers have to be objective -they have to report just facts and NOT let their own opinion get involved.

The words "objective" and "opinion" are a paradox.  I think what you're trying to say is that your words are "subjective."  Sorry, I don't mean to sound snotty or anything, but people getting those words mixed up is one of my pet peeves. :wink:

meraphix

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2006, 08:41:44 am »
Quote from: "meraphix"

Objective means that your comment is completely devoid of any kind of personal bias and you are using only facts on which to base your assertion.  This is why they say newspaper writers have to be objective -they have to report just facts and NOT let their own opinion get involved.

The words "objective" and "opinion" are a paradox.  I think what you're trying to say is that your words are "subjective."  Sorry, I don't mean to sound snotty or anything, but people getting those words mixed up is one of my pet peeves. :wink:

That is what I meant. I apologise for my word mixup. In Law I always get those two completely mixed up.