Author Topic: Got a concussion ... my girl won't let me play softball  (Read 13686 times)

topher8467

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • ICQ Messenger - 330591060
    • AOL Instant Messenger - narruc67
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Author0804
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/author0804
    • Email
It worked out
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2003, 11:58:39 am »
Well, it's a day later and I took my girl's advice, along with that of most of you.

I did not play; I helped coach and our team won.

We're 10-1 and in first place in our league.

And, I'm playing tonight though.

Thanks for all the advice.
Ti Amo Michelle!

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Lord Andrew
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Grakthis
    • View Profile
    • http://www.grakthis.com
Re: lmao
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2003, 04:51:10 am »
First off Topher, it is not GRAMATICALLY incorrect to end a sentence in a preposition UNLESS you are writing a formal essay, letter or memo.  In fact, it is extremely common in literature and especially so when writing out a verbal exchange between characters.  You'd be surprised how many of the "rules" of the English language aren't really rules.

For example, I might say "Fuck Off".  Which is a perfectly valid English sentence all by itself.

Next, I tend to agree with GSU over there.  If you give in on the little things then women are SHOCKED when you want to fight them on the big things.  You have to establish that you wont be pushed around.

Now, IF, after establishing that you won't be pushed around  in a given argument you THEN conceed a point to her, then she will feel as if you have done her a favor.  Then she owes you.  So that's always money.

So really, it depends on your approach.  If you give in immediatly, thats a bad thing.  Just make sure you let her know that you wont ALWAYS do what she tells you.

On a sidenote, if you are "twice his age" and don't want to listen to the opinions of people half your age then why in GOD'S NAME are you asking for advice from people on a VC message board?  Since as soon as they disagree with you, you just declare "I'm twice your age, I'm not listening to you, nya nya nya nya".  Sad.
---Andrew

Quote from: "topher8467"
Being nearly twice your age, I'm going to go with my gut on this one and say that, indeed, I am right, and this is just another one of your juvenile attempts to "piss off the world."

Sorry, not going to work. Post whatever you like following this, but I will not be debating this further with you.

Any legitimate opinions?

EDIT: I took some license with the "piss off the world" quote; it was originally "piss the world off," but that was gramatically incorrect (ending a sentence in a preposition). I changed it to reflect correct english.
If you are reading this, you are probably on my ignore list.  Click here to return the favor

Wagella Wrote:Yay for Bigotry!!

---Andrew

Katia's Lover

• I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GSUCarltonFan
    • View Profile
    • http://www.southern-connection.com
    • Email
Re: lmao
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2003, 07:08:23 am »
Quote from: "Grakthis"
First off Topher, it is not GRAMATICALLY incorrect to end a sentence in a preposition UNLESS you are writing a formal essay, letter or memo.  In fact, it is extremely common in literature and especially so when writing out a verbal exchange between characters.  You'd be surprised how many of the "rules" of the English language aren't really rules.

For example, I might say "Fuck Off".  Which is a perfectly valid English sentence all by itself.

Next, I tend to agree with GSU over there.  If you give in on the little things then women are SHOCKED when you want to fight them on the big things.  You have to establish that you wont be pushed around.

Now, IF, after establishing that you won't be pushed around  in a given argument you THEN conceed a point to her, then she will feel as if you have done her a favor.  Then she owes you.  So that's always money.

So really, it depends on your approach.  If you give in immediatly, thats a bad thing.  Just make sure you let her know that you wont ALWAYS do what she tells you.

On a sidenote, if you are "twice his age" and don't want to listen to the opinions of people half your age then why in GOD'S NAME are you asking for advice from people on a VC message board?  Since as soon as they disagree with you, you just declare "I'm twice your age, I'm not listening to you, nya nya nya nya".  Sad.
---Andrew

Quote from: "topher8467"
Being nearly twice your age, I'm going to go with my gut on this one and say that, indeed, I am right, and this is just another one of your juvenile attempts to "piss off the world."

Sorry, not going to work. Post whatever you like following this, but I will not be debating this further with you.

Any legitimate opinions?

EDIT: I took some license with the "piss off the world" quote; it was originally "piss the world off," but that was gramatically incorrect (ending a sentence in a preposition). I changed it to reflect correct english.

I didn't know that about prepositions (although I had heard through the many English courses I took this year that you don't end a sentence in one).  Learn something new every day around here...
katiakaysha: you win
katiakaysha: you're right

I'm on a mission to piss the world off.  Is it your turn yet?!

http://losersareentertaining.blogspot.com/

topher8467

• View Profile
    • Email
First off
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2003, 04:21:25 pm »
First, In common speech or an informal note, you can do anything you want with prepositions; start with them , end with them or turn them upside down. But, if you want to be taken seriously and be grammatically correct, you shouldn't end with one. And, I'm not surprised that some people don't consider rules of English to be actual rules; our language is butchered every day. But, in earning an English degree and spending several years as a journalist, I'm quite positive that those rules still do apply.

Second, Asking for an opinion on a message board and actually taking that advice are two entirely different things. It's like President Bush saying he wants an opinion on Afghanistan or Iraq from only his advisors who want to go to war; the rest can keep their mouths shut. While I disagreed with GSUCarltonfan, I respect him for giving his input and providing his opinion. For that, after all, is what I asked.

Third, The primary issue here was not about how to treat a lady. Rather, it was about whether it would be a good idea to play in a softball game just 12 hours after suffering a concussion. My girl is intelligent, I respect her, she cares about me and had the right advice. Relationships are not a game where you score points whether you listen to the other person or not, it's about respecting the other person and compromising for the good of the relationship. This time, she was right.

In all, I made the right decision. Thank you all for your input.

Chris
Ti Amo Michelle!

Katia's Lover

• I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GSUCarltonFan
    • View Profile
    • http://www.southern-connection.com
    • Email
Got a concussion ... my girl won't let me play softball
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2003, 05:05:33 pm »
My only point on the issue was you made it seem like you wanted to play--but your girlfriend is what made you not.

If you truly didn't want to play (can't say I blame you with a concussion), then by all means you made the right decision.

If you did want to play, and she convinced you not to, then it's a different story IMO.

After all--take a note from Paul Kariya (hockey fever baby!).  Get knocked out, come back, score goal (or hit homerun in this situation), and win game.
katiakaysha: you win
katiakaysha: you're right

I'm on a mission to piss the world off.  Is it your turn yet?!

http://losersareentertaining.blogspot.com/

topher8467

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2003, 05:46:27 pm »
You're right, I did want to play.

I figured since I didn't tell the doctor about the game, I should at least consider my girl's opinion.

As I said, I disagreed with your original response, but I respect the input.

Chris
Ti Amo Michelle!

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Lord Andrew
    • View Profile
Re: First off
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2003, 06:16:53 am »
You respect his INPUT?!? You lashed out at him and said you were going to ignore him essentially because he is half your age! That's not respect.  

Don't lash out at someone and then when someone calls you out on it, respond back with "but I respect your opinion".  It makes you look stupid.  If you are gonna attack someone, attack them.  Don't half-ass it.

As for your BS about the English language being butchered... I got bad news for you dear, but GREAT writers have been "butchering" the English language for hundreds of years.  It's commonly called poetic license.  They get to break the "rules" if it enchances the work.  You should understand this concept, having an English degree and all.

About the only things EVER written in a formal tone these days are journalistic works and professional essays.  I'd hardly say that those two items get to define what the English language SHOULD sound like.  I guess coming from a Journalistic background, it shouldn't suprise me that you've got your nose stuck in the air.

As far as most of the English speaking world is concerned, PROPER English is the way people REALLY speak, not the way MLA decided people SHOULD speak.  If you want to be taken seriously, don't act like a pompus ass.  Learn when it's appropriate to use informal diction and don't go off on a grammar tirade to make yourself sound smart.  THAT is a great way to alienate people.

AND since you seem to want to write in FORMAL English on a MB, then you should know that the "rules" of english say not to start a sentence with a conjunction.  BUT, that hasn't stopped you, has it?

BTW, I couldn't possibly disagree more with you about how a relationship is about "respecting the other person and compromising for the good of the relationship", but thats a different argument for a different time.

Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnd... I'm spent.
---Andrew
If you are reading this, you are probably on my ignore list.  Click here to return the favor

---Andrew

Logikal X

• Fine as dandelions
    • MSN Messenger - tqhx@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - tqhx
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2003, 06:20:38 am »
You respect his INPUT?!? You lashed out at him and said you were going to ignore him essentially because he is half your age! That's not respect.  

Don't lash out at someone and then when someone calls you out on it, respond back with "but I respect your opinion".  It makes you look stupid.  If you are gonna attack someone, attack them.  Don't half-ass it.

As for your BS about the English language being butchered... I got bad news for you dear, but GREAT writers have been "butchering" the English language for hundreds of years.  It's commonly called poetic license.  They get to break the "rules" if it enchances the work.  You should understand this concept, having an English degree and all.

About the only things EVER written in a formal tone these days are journalistic works and professional essays.  I'd hardly say that those two items get to define what the English language SHOULD sound like.  I guess coming from a Journalistic background, it shouldn't suprise me that you've got your nose stuck in the air.

As far as most of the English speaking world is concerned, PROPER English is the way people REALLY speak, not the way MLA decided people SHOULD speak.  If you want to be taken seriously, don't act like a pompus ass.  Learn when it's appropriate to use informal diction and don't go off on a grammar tirade to make yourself sound smart.  THAT is a great way to alienate people.

AND since you seem to want to write in FORMAL English on a MB, then you should know that the "rules" of english say not to start a sentence with a conjunction.  BUT, that hasn't stopped you, has it?

BTW, I couldn't possibly disagree more with you about how a relationship is about "respecting the other person and compromising for the good of the relationship", but thats a different argument for a different time.

---Andrew

lol, Andrew you never cease to amaze me with your lengthy proposals....i think you're right, its okay to agree with a girl even if you dont want to sometimes, and only sometimes....but when you do make sure she knows its a big favor, that way when you tell her to do something she doesnt want to...you own :mrgreen:
Quote from: "ReSpektDaFrenziedEVanesSa"
But I have to say I love the feeling of anything going up my butt, it just drives me wild.

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Lord Andrew
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2003, 06:25:04 am »
Quote from: "Logikal X"
lol, Andrew you never cease to amaze me with your lengthy proposals....i think you're right, its okay to agree with a girl even if you dont want to sometimes, and only sometimes....but when you do make sure she knows its a big favor, that way when you tell her to do something she doesnt want to...you own :mrgreen:

:D

I know.  I can't help it.

I don't think it's just girls you have to be careful with.  It's people in general.  Because if a person always gives in to someone else, then he or she will get walked on by that person.  People, by their very nature, will take advantage of eachother if given the chance.
---Andrew

---Andrew

Logikal X

• Fine as dandelions
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2003, 06:28:03 am »
exactly.....the whole situation reminds me of that blonde guy with glasses on Tom Green, all Tom does is harass him, and he just puts up with it and kinda shrugs it off.  Who knows, maybe thats why Tommy boy got a show and all he got was to sit in a chair off to the side and get made fun of the whole time.
But I have to say I love the feeling of anything going up my butt, it just drives me wild.

topher8467

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2003, 09:41:51 am »

---Andrew

Wow! I don't recall "lashing out" at anyone. The fact I don't take someone's advice doesn't mean I'm lashing out.

Unlike some people, I choose not to start a conflict on a message board with everyone I see; assuming people have their noses stuck up in the air because of a profession of which they were involved. You don't know me, you have no clue what you're talking about, and it is you who is "lashing out" in each of your posts in this thread.

Why do you type so many words, yet say so little? Why do you call another man, "dear?" Why do you, at 23, presume to know more than someone 12 years older?

It seems to me that you would argue with a signpost, then falsely accuse it of "lashing out" when it didn't argue back. I think before you continue to lash out on threads, maybe you should answer some serious questions about yourself.

Until then, thanks for your input,

Chris
Ti Amo Michelle!

Si

• Fine as dandelions
  • Down a Rabbithole
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2003, 09:49:15 am »
:|

Jeez,
people be NICE!!

:headshake:

• SHUT  UP  when  I'm  talking  to  you... !
 You  hear  me?  ANSWER  me !! •

Logikal X

• Fine as dandelions
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2003, 10:47:03 am »
I dont think you're an idiot Toph, i dont hate you, nothin like that, but you cant always presume just because someone is 12 years younger than you they know less.  Some people lead fast lives, some work harder than others, you just cant really judge someone by their age.....anyways good that you didnt play, i agree with your final choice in the matter...and i apologize if this post offends you at all...im not lookin for a fight  :eatarrow:

Logikal X

• Fine as dandelions
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2003, 10:47:53 am »
BTW

Quote from: "Simone Sarah"
:|

Jeez,
people be NICE!!

:headshake:

*is extra nice to Si*  :wink:

topher8467

• View Profile
    • Email
Okay
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2003, 10:50:24 am »
No problem Pete.

Team won without me and I played the next night and we won too.

It all turned out okay.

And, I agree with you, be extra nice to Si.
Ti Amo Michelle!