Author Topic: Nolita Fairytale-First single??  (Read 171509 times)

tylor2000

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • View Profile
Nolita Fairytale-First single??
« Reply #345 on: June 15, 2007, 07:03:30 pm »
Quote from: "LimeTwister"
Quote from: "tylor2000"
Quote from: "LimeTwister"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgJWJTVCla4

don't know if anyone posted that, but i liked it...

and if someone already posted it, oh well.

That is a really great video, except that is not Nolita!  It's San Francisco.  I should know I walk past that pointy building almost everyday.

Yeah, they might not even know what Nolita is...?

I don't know, hahaha...it's still a nice vid.

It really is.  I think all of the VC videos from the person include SF.  Of course she might have lived north of little italy here, while on the west coast, but I have no idea.

I had no idea what it was untill it was mentioned in reference to her.  I've never been to nyc.

zurielshimon

• AOL Instant Messenger - weetbixkid36
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/193866568
« Reply #346 on: June 16, 2007, 12:27:31 am »
Quote from: "tylor2000"
It really is.  I think all of the VC videos from the person include SF.  Of course she might have lived north of little italy here, while on the west coast, but I have no idea.

I had no idea what it was untill it was mentioned in reference to her.  I've never been to nyc.

I had heard of it, and I knew what it stood for.  Watching CSI: NY and L&O: SVU, I just got curious about where all these places were and what the names meant, so I just got to reading about it all one day.  I would love to visit NYC, but I feel it would take at least a month for me to just get to know a little about Manhattan.
Dustin

UltimateVC

• Willing and Able to... Run
    • View Profile
Sheet Music
« Reply #347 on: June 16, 2007, 07:56:22 am »
Has anybody started making sheet music for Nolita Fairytale? That would be great!
And now you look at me
And see what I've known for so long
It's sad that you can be
So lovely, yet so wrong

PianoPlayer12

• Fine as dandelions
    • MSN Messenger - anthony_the_great_g6@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Mattia1045
    • View Profile
    • Nessfan12
Re: Sheet Music
« Reply #348 on: June 16, 2007, 10:33:25 am »
Quote from: "UltimateVC"
Has anybody started making sheet music for Nolita Fairytale? That would be great!

Ya i cant wait till someone transcribes it!! :D

Lets Make This Our Story. Lets Live In The Glory. Time It Fades Away Precious As A Song. Cause Someday We'll Be Gone
www.freewebs.com/nessfan12<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

NolitaFairytale

• Make me high on lullabies
    • View Profile
Re: Sheet Music
« Reply #349 on: June 16, 2007, 12:44:08 pm »
Quote from: "PianoPlayer12"
Quote from: "UltimateVC"

Ya i cant wait till someone transcribes it!! :D

I second that! :D

thenextvanessa

• You're a Genuine Wannabe
    • View Profile
"disappointed" doesn't even cover it
« Reply #350 on: June 16, 2007, 02:57:40 pm »
yes, i'll admit, i've been out of the loop for some months now.  i had been an active member of the vc.com forums, but i kind of fazed out of that when things got dramatic over there.  anyway, i've tried a few times to get some Vinfo, and so i've known that the vc.com site is down?  why?  

anyway, today i decided to once and for all figure out what ever happened to vanessa.  nessaholics, ahoy!  imagine my surprise when i discovered that we have an album release date, a single release date, and can, in fact, listen to this new single?!

so i heard "nolita fairytale."  oh.  my.  god.  i've been stomping around my house in HORROR.  i'm sorry.  in my opinion, it's a trainwreck.  i feel like i'm "not speaking" with my former IDOL.  the poppy tone, the not-even-trying-to-be-deep lyrics, the computerized voice - i was shocked.  shocked and hugely disappointed.  in my eyes, she became the world's biggest hypocrite right there: the song is all about "so what i got dropped from interscope i'm cool with it" (but honestly, it outright SAYS that...what happened to the unicorns and vampires?!)...and yet the style suggests that she is outright selling out.  

what happened to the raw beauty of harmonium?!  if i weren't in love with the song "heroes and thieves," i would have lost interest in this new album entirely.

i don't want to say that vanessa has lost me as a fan.  but, clearly, i will not deny that i am currently lost for words, and not in a good way.

i am not some random spammer, i know how annoying those people are.  i know i don't have too many nessaholic posts to my name, but a few of you will remember me from the old boards (hey, guys, sorry to meet again under these circumstances).  i swear, i am a vanessa FAN.  but i do not condone the idea that being a fan means accepting everything the artist does - i believe that we have every right to give our honest opinions of v's work, most of which i am in love with.

that was a long rant.  sorry, guys.  i hate to be a downer.  but please, i cannot possibly be the only person that feels this way.  i know it's sort of old news, so i'm also sorry if this is redundant to the boards.

--rachel
and though i've given him his empire....
.......he delivers me my fear
           the unicorns are riding high

The dreamers get punished most by the truth, they say...

itsthefiveofus

• View Profile
« Reply #351 on: June 16, 2007, 03:08:29 pm »
I know what you mean we don't have to like everything an artist that me likes comes out with. But I mean I think you went to far with the selling out....... I dont think she sold out but than again thats just me...what do you's think?!?!

Current takes me out, what will be, will be. Floating on the sea, stars are watching me.

charmedguy18

« Reply #352 on: June 16, 2007, 03:30:54 pm »
Quote from: "itsthefiveofus"
I know what you mean we don't have to like everything an artist that me likes comes out with. But I mean I think you went to far with the selling out....... I dont think she sold out but than again thats just me...what do you's think?!?!

I like the song all right, but it's not AMAZING or anything. I think the lyrics got simpler and more straightforward. There's some metaphore and such, but it really isn't as deep in emotional value, if you know what I mean, as the other songs were.
I'll admit I like the part that I have quoted in my signature though haha.

reveng_desire

• MSN Messenger - sammy0190@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - SpiratiesAnon
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - reveng_desire
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: "disappointed" doesn't even cover it
« Reply #353 on: June 16, 2007, 04:00:33 pm »
Quote from: "thenextvanessa"

the poppy tone, the not-even-trying-to-be-deep lyrics, the computerized voice - i was shocked.  shocked and hugely disappointed.  in my eyes, she became the world's biggest hypocrite right there: the song is all about "so what i got dropped from interscope i'm cool with it" (but honestly, it outright SAYS that...what happened to the unicorns and vampires?

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Although I personally love Nolita Fairytale, I can understand one's basic dissapointment with it. However, I must say the whole "not-even-trying-to-be-deep lyrics" part of your message didn't agree with me. As an artist, Vanessa decided to express herself how she feels the need to. Maybe she chose not to make it all metaphoric because, well, she was describing a situation close to her? Besides, we've heard tons  of new music that will be on the album that have deep, awesome lyrics. "Hands On Me," anyone?

I'm sure Vanessa's decisions are based on what, in her opinion, is best for her new album.
Do You Notice How Many Lonely Hearts Are LUNATICS Out There??

ordinaryday6

• Your true colors shown
    • AOL Instant Messenger - ordinaryday6
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: June 16, 2007, 04:05:20 pm »
i don't really care much for it, but i don't think she's selling out. i don't think you can sell out with one song.. even if that song is the single. all the other songs we've heard off the album are such that i can't possibly say she's sold out; unless none of those songs actually go on the album, which we know is completely ridiculous.
Samuel
(he/him)

rainforestspirit

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/nessacarltonfan/
« Reply #355 on: June 16, 2007, 04:31:07 pm »
First off, I definitely think that everyone has a right to voice their opinion, even if it is not positive towards V.

However, I respectfully disagree. I really enjoy the new song (see my new sig!) I especially love the lyrics. I actually think they are the opposite to selling out! She sings "my heart always seems to know" "take the gliz back, I want the soul instead". Yes, they may be simple but they say that she is NOT selling out! If she was selling out, she would take the gliz that came with her record deal and instead sacrifice her soul and heart. In this song, she is saying that she is being true to herself and not going with the record company that wants to turn her into something that she is not.

And the lyrics "Take away my record deal. Go on, I don't need it" Does not mean that she is fine and dandy with her old record company being a jerk to her. It is her way of saying f*** you! You can take away my record deal, I will find someone else who wants to work with me - the real me - someone who will allow me to be true to my music. (however she is saying this in a kinder way so that she doesn't create massive problems within the music industry and her music gets banded again)

And she has done just that.

Now, the music is kinda strange to me - such as the drums, especially the reggeaton in the beginning and end...and a few other things. And I must admit is not my favorite song of hers. But I still like it - most importantly for the message.

Plus, I agree with others above in that her other new songs like The One, Hands on Me, etc are very reminiscent of her old songs. So, that also shows that she has not sold out.

Again, you have the right to your own opinion but that means so do I. I love how we have kept this as a good discussion and I am hoping we all can keep it this way (you all know what I mean here).

ManuelD

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: June 16, 2007, 06:27:44 pm »
I actually love the drums, they are not reggeaton at all, they sound more like a martial band to me.

I would like the song much better if the lyrics were different, they just make it imposible for anyone (other than Vanessa herself) to relate to the song. Other than that I like the song.

amberbeads

• AOL Instant Messenger - Idledaylight01
    • View Profile
    • http://shameless-selfpromo.blogspot.com
« Reply #357 on: June 16, 2007, 07:23:20 pm »
Quote from: "charmedguy18"
I'll admit I like the part that I have quoted in my signature though haha.

yeah but thank God she needs to start with the name-dropping.. is she a rapper or something?
*natalie*

at least i can say
i was not afraid
i loved you all the way
i'd pick the fool any day.

MeganJane

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
    • My music on myspace!
« Reply #358 on: June 16, 2007, 08:56:58 pm »
I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who is disappointed with this song...!
"Music produces a kind of pleasure that human nature cannot do without."
-CONFUCIUS

"It is hard. You have to fight for who you are everyday" -VANESSA CARLTON

portions.for.foxes

• You aren't tryin'
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Mika+Iwakura1
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: June 16, 2007, 09:43:10 pm »
Was a new thread really necessary? This should be merged with the already existing Nolita Fairytale thread. We don't need a seperate thread for whining.
And it's bad news, baby it's bad news
It's just bad news, bad news, bad news
'Cause you're just damage control
For a walking corpse like me - like you,
'Cause we'll all be portions for foxes
Yeah, we'll all be portions for foxes.