Author Topic: Vanessa's Image  (Read 3163 times)

MeganJane

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
    • My music on myspace!
Vanessa's Image
« on: March 22, 2006, 11:41:28 pm »
I was looking through an old magazine when I found an article from '03 with a small reference to Vanessa, which reads:

According to Vanessa Carlton, many fans are sick of seeing female artists half naked, and now want something different. "That's tired, that marketing of girls in a way to make young people drool. I can wear clothing on every part of my body and feel just as sexy as if i was wearing a bra and panties."
Vicki Gordon, Vanessa's marketing director, believes truly talented artists will always make it- regardless of how much flesh they choose to display. "Vanessa's market is very much the Avril Lavigne market," Vicki says. "She's not a manufactured artist; she has an extrodinary gift. Vanessa is also an artist who presents herself as she is. She's not someone who sells herself through sex, she sells herself through her talent."

I am interested to know what you think Vanessa's image is, and how this relates to her career, and her forthcoming album's success...
"Music produces a kind of pleasure that human nature cannot do without."
-CONFUCIUS

"It is hard. You have to fight for who you are everyday" -VANESSA CARLTON

Dora

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vanessa-carlton.org
Vanessa's Image
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2006, 06:59:45 am »
I think she'll stay the same, however she has undressed a tad, but certainly not at any inapropriate level *cough*mtv cribs*cough*.  I just hope that the third one won't all be about love, Vanessa is good at writing about different things.  Hopefully she'll stay away from the britney category....and fyi Avril Lavigne wants to be a model now, and wear makeup and be girly.  Haha.

Martin.

• Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Connected to a million stars and lights.
    • View Profile
    • Sworn Under An Oath To War
Vanessa's Image
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2006, 07:27:26 am »
I think she'll be the same.

The cribs thing was a nice tribute to Mariah Carey :)

I don't think she'll do anything wild.

Although, I would love to see her in Xtina's "Dirrty" costume for her next video hehe

nosticker

• Your true colors shown
    • AOL Instant Messenger - DanTVFish
    • View Profile
Vanessa's Image
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2006, 07:42:13 am »
I may be the only guy who doesn't want to see her go Xtina.  Xtina really bummed me out.  I'd feel cheated if she did a Maxim spread or a Mariah-style video.

Dan/NS

BWilli

• Speeding into the horizon
    • MSN Messenger - bdubprod@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
Vanessa's Image
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2006, 07:44:12 am »
Quote from: "nosticker"
I may be the only guy who doesn't want to see her go Xtina.  Xtina really bummed me out.  I'd feel cheated if she did a Maxim spread or a Mariah-style video.

Dan/NS

i'd have to agree

Ghisy

• VCUBs
  • V-Unit!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Ghis+V
    • View Profile
Vanessa's Image
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2006, 10:52:46 am »
Quote from: "BWilli"

Dan/NS

i'd have to agree

I also have to agree with you two.
Ghisy
The Original French NESSAholic

Martin.

• Connected to a million stars and lights.
    • View Profile
    • Sworn Under An Oath To War
Vanessa's Image
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2006, 02:18:02 pm »

Dan/NS

Yeah I was joking about the whole Xtina thing.

I prefer her how she is. She's one of the few artists that keep their clothes on

Re: Vanessa's Image
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2006, 02:14:36 pm »
Quote from: "MeganJane"
I was looking through an old magazine when I found an article from '03 with a small reference to Vanessa, which reads:

"Vanessa's market is very much the Avril Lavigne market," Vicki says. "She's not a manufactured artist; she has an extrodinary gift. Vanessa is also an artist who presents herself as she is. She's not someone who sells herself through sex, she sells herself through her talent."

Vicki Gordon is a complete idiot.  Am I misunderstanding, or is she comparing Vanessa to Avril??!   8O

Those two have absolutely nothing in common.  Avril was more manufactured than Britney.  And, my ass Avril didn't sell herself through sex!  Just because she wasn't half-naked doesn't mean she didn't sell based on image and sex appeal.  One night Avril was singing country songs in Napanee and the next night she was the "punk princess."  Avril is the most radical example of manufacturing of an artist I can think of.

I think it's worth repeating.  Vicki Gordon is a complete idiot. :icky:

bluebutterfly

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/jesster22
Vanessa's Image
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2006, 09:04:34 pm »

Dan/NS
i understand your point, but if she did a mag cover it really wouldn't bother me at all. only if she did a jewel and totally reinvented herself, lol, but really...the music is what matters...why get hung up if she wants to do a mag cover?

Gingernut

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
Vanessa's Image
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2006, 01:07:35 am »
I've always liked Vanessa for not selling herself to magazines like maxim and things like that, shows she cares more about the music :)

I know Michelle was in maxim, and she does care about the music but i'll let that one go, Meech is a hottie.

Quote from: "white_houses"

Although, I would love to see her in Xtina's "Dirrty" costume for her next video hehe

I hope they wash it.

Arwen

• I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
    • View Profile
    • facebook
Re: Vanessa's Image
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2006, 09:42:42 am »
Quote from: "abbottANDcostello"
Quote from: "MeganJane"

"Vanessa's market is very much the Avril Lavigne market," Vicki says. "She's not a manufactured artist; she has an extrodinary gift. Vanessa is also an artist who presents herself as she is. She's not someone who sells herself through sex, she sells herself through her talent."

Vicki Gordon is a complete idiot.  Am I misunderstanding, or is she comparing Vanessa to Avril??!   8O

Those two have absolutely nothing in common.  Avril was more manufactured than Britney.  And, my ass Avril didn't sell herself through sex!  Just because she wasn't half-naked doesn't mean she didn't sell based on image and sex appeal.  One night Avril was singing country songs in Napanee and the next night she was the "punk princess."  Avril is the most radical example of manufacturing of an artist I can think of.

I think it's worth repeating.  Vicki Gordon is a complete idiot. :icky:

I was thinking the exact same thing. Avril Lavigne not manufactured? *laughs hysterically*

MeganJane

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
    • My music on myspace!
Vanessa's Image
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2006, 06:21:22 pm »
Hmm. I think Avril was supposed to be "anti-image", which in itself is an image that can be just as manufactured as any other image. And now that Avril dyes her hair blonde, likes to curl it, and wear more feminine clothes, she is not the popular artist she once was. I think if you are too focused on one image (like her signature straight hair, tomboy clothes, etc.) then a departure from this may cause a career downfall as the artist may have lost a lot of what the public identify with. (Though of course this isn't always the case, just look at Madonna.)

In contrast, Vanessa has that cool vintage look going, but she isn't limited to one look. And I like the way she is sexy in a subtle way, as opposed to  a "look-at-me" kind of way. (Though, I guess I'm not the best judge of sexiness as I don't rate chicks.) I think V is a good role model in that way- she shows it is sexier to feel confident in your own skin rather than trying to be sexy by revealing too much skin.
"Music produces a kind of pleasure that human nature cannot do without."
-CONFUCIUS

"It is hard. You have to fight for who you are everyday" -VANESSA CARLTON