Author Topic: BUSH IN BRITAIN  (Read 5910 times)

Will

• Moderators
  • Fine as dandelions
  • Advanced anti-spam registrations filter
    • View Profile
BUSH IN BRITAIN
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2003, 02:25:47 pm »
Quote from: "neos"
It was a state visit. The Prime Minister isn't head of state in the UK. The Queen is. Obviously, if the Queen of England visited the US it would have no political connotations, so this is a whole different issue.

The difference is in semantics and has no real significance. As far as I can tell, the Queen has no real power. While the Queen is officially the head of state, the Prime Minister is the de facto head of state.

And if you want to get picky about the "state visit" thing, the Bush visit was not a state visit. That is because the US does not technically have a head of state. The president is not  more powerful than Congress or the courts. Both can remove him if they wish. The powers of state are vested equally in all three branches of the government.

But of course, we don't want to get picky here. Let's talk reality. A visit by Blair would be considered a "state visit," just like you consider the Bush visit one.
"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." -Ozzy Osborne

neos

• VCUBs
  • I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
  • Prat Twin #1
    • AOL Instant Messenger - superneos
    • View Profile
BUSH IN BRITAIN
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2003, 02:34:31 pm »
Quote from: "m125 Boy"
But of course, we don't want to get picky here. Let's talk reality. A visit by Blair would be considered a "state visit," just like you consider the Bush visit one.

Er picky? No, we are not being picky, we're speaking properly. I can tell you it's not the same when the King and Queen of Spain visit Paris and have dinner with Jacques Chirac and when Jose Maria Aznar visits Chirac. Not the same by far. While the King and Queen visiting would be a symbolic bonding visit, the Aznar visit would probably be used to discuss more important political issues which would have some actual repercussion, unlike the King's visit.

there's only four seasons
and this one's almost gone
these nights feel so good
but this one's almost gone

Will

• Moderators
  • Fine as dandelions
    • View Profile
BUSH IN BRITAIN
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2003, 03:35:23 pm »
Er picky? No, we are not being picky, we're speaking properly.

I know Rosie said that the Bush visit was a state visit, not you. Still, if you insist on being entirely accurate, admit then that the Bush visit was not a "state visit" because Bush is not head of state. He is merely the head of the executive branch. Maybe he is the de facto head of state... but you insist on "speaking properly."

Holly

• VCUBs
  • Speeding into the horizon
  • Twin Stars
    • View Profile
BUSH IN BRITAIN
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2003, 06:32:35 pm »
Quote from: "rosieposy87"
Quote from: "Holly"
]and if there were no protesters Bush wouldnt need security at all! but is because of people like that that it happens... blame them!

Catergorically NOT true. Correct me if i'm wrong again, but Bush is fighting a war on Terrorism. Not protesters.

Ok, yes, you're right, but what does that have to do with what i said? Yes, he's trying to get rid of terrorism, because its a horrible thing! Some people dont agree with what he's doing (which they have every right too), but some people are crazy enough to try to hurt him or kill him. They are the reason he is being protected! I really doubt the protection is there for no good reason! Look what happened in the US 40 years ago... our former president was shot and killed because he didn't have proper protection. People are crazy and protection is needed because of them! Therfore we can't let powerful people, with so many people that don't agree with them, walk around like a normal person on the street.
"i'm willing to do anything
to calm the storm in my heart
i've never been the praying kind
but lately i've been down upon my knees
not looking for a miracle
just a reason to believe"

snapple936

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Snapple936
    • View Profile
BUSH IN BRITAIN
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2003, 07:56:32 pm »
i'd just like to pipe in with my little two cents- i think it's really easy to blame the war on terrorism on solely Bush, as i have seen done in this thread, but lest we forget that congress also has a role in passing the war with iraq.  
so it wasn't just Bush's idea...and it's easy to make him a scapegoat for something for which he did not have 100 percent say in.

and that doesn't mean that i agree with the war (i don't) or that i disagree with the war because of the political aspects of it. i just feel war is wrong. i don't care who is fighting who for what reason.

kelllllleyyy
...i'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints, the sinners are much more fun, you know that only the good

rosieposy87

• VCUBs
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Prat Twin #2
    • MSN Messenger - rosie_posy87@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - rosieposy87
    • View Profile
BUSH IN BRITAIN
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2003, 07:15:30 am »
]and if there were no protesters Bush wouldnt need security at all! but is because of people like that that it happens... blame them!

Catergorically NOT true. Correct me if i'm wrong again, but Bush is fighting a war on Terrorism. Not protesters.

Ok, yes, you're right, but what does that have to do with what i said? Yes, he's trying to get rid of terrorism, because its a horrible thing! Some people dont agree with what he's doing (which they have every right too), but some people are crazy enough to try to hurt him or kill him. They are the reason he is being protected! I really doubt the protection is there for no good reason! Look what happened in the US 60 years ago... our former president was shot and killed because he didn't have proper protection. People are crazy and protection is needed because of them! Therfore we can't let powerful people, with so many people that don't agree with them, walk around like a normal person on the street.

Holly, it has everything to do with what you said. One of the main reasons for such a large amount of security is because of the terrorist threat and not the protestors. And please, stop calling protestors 'crazy people' just because you don't agree with their position.
"I'm all about the wordplay."

rosieposy87

• VCUBs
  • Prat Twin #2
    • View Profile
BUSH IN BRITAIN
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2003, 07:28:45 am »
Quote from: "m125Boy"
And there is a little something called responsibility here. There are lots of things that it is legal to say and do that I would discourage because they are irresponsible. But by no means do I think that they should be illegal. The people have the right to do these things. I have the right to say that their actions were irresponsible and they shouldn't have done it. But I'm all for their right to make idiots out of themselves.

I really fail to see your point here. Why is protesting irresponsible? I in no way see how it could be. Is expressing your opinion irresponsible? Is having a social conscience irresponsible?

Quote from: "m125 Boy"
It was a state visit. The Prime Minister isn't head of state in the UK. The Queen is. Obviously, if the Queen of England visited the US it would have no political connotations, so this is a whole different issue.

The difference is in semantics and has no real significance. As far as I can tell, the Queen has no real power. While the Queen is officially the head of state, the Prime Minister is the de facto head of state.

You are wrong. It was only a few days ago that you admitted to me you had little or no idea about the power the Queen holds in this country or indeed our whole political system- don't argue in ignorance. It was a state visit because the Queen invited him- not because Bush is 'Head of State'. It makes a great deal of difference to the purpose and public feeling here, a difference you admitted to have no knowledge of.

moviemaker248

• Make me high on lullabies
    • AOL Instant Messenger - chwilbur
    • View Profile
    • http://www.areyouert.com
BUSH IN BRITAIN
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2003, 08:06:20 am »
Let's give it up for free speech  :blueblob: How wonderful it is that even with two sides to this argument we are free to have opinions and discuss them  8)

Holly

• VCUBs
  • Twin Stars
    • View Profile
BUSH IN BRITAIN
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2003, 10:32:23 am »

And please, stop calling protestors 'crazy people' just because you don't agree with their position.

ok... ummm... when did i call the protesters "crazy people"?
i even said they have the right to disagree with what he does. But the crazy people are the people who hurt or kill people. That's what I said!

rosieposy87

• VCUBs
  • Prat Twin #2
    • View Profile
BUSH IN BRITAIN
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2003, 10:43:14 am »

And please, stop calling protestors 'crazy people' just because you don't agree with their position.

i even said they have the right to disagree with what he does. But the crazy people are the people who hurt or kill people. That's what I said!

Okay, fair play. You said that the reason extra money was spent was because of the protesters posing a security threat. You then say that the protesters don't pose a security threat but 'crazy people' do. Who are these crazy people? Since you initially blamed it on the protesters, you are implying that they include people who want to hurt or kill people. What is your point here? I don't agree. I think those people are terrorists.

LimeTwister

BUSH IN BRITAIN
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2003, 12:37:06 pm »
i think some protestors would like to harm bush...

Though I don't think holly is trying to say all protestors would like to harm him...personally I wouldn't harm the man, I just feel that he isn't the brightest bulb on the chain of christmas lights.

rosieposy87

• VCUBs
  • Prat Twin #2
    • View Profile
BUSH IN BRITAIN
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2003, 02:01:34 pm »
Quote from: "LimeTwister"

Though I don't think holly is trying to say all protestors would like to harm him...personally I wouldn't harm the man, I just feel that he isn't the brightest bulb on the chain of christmas lights.

Chum, i'm not implying that she thinks all the protesters would like to harm Bush. Or would seriously think about it. What i'm saying is that she is unclear of who exactly is a threat to Bush- and if groups of protesters do contain 'crazy people'.

Holly

• VCUBs
  • Twin Stars
    • View Profile
BUSH IN BRITAIN
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2003, 03:25:36 pm »

Okay, fair play. You said that the reason extra money was spent was because of the protesters posing a security threat. You then say that the protesters don't pose a security threat but 'crazy people' do. Who are these crazy people? Since you initially blamed it on the protesters, you are implying that they include people who want to hurt or kill people. What is your point here? I don't agree. I think those people are terrorists.

omg...  I said that the crazy people are the people who hurt and kill people without good reason. I think thats crazy and wrong... but I guess you dont agree. Ok... and yeah, they're terrorist, I never said they weren't! What is your point? In some groups of protestors there are some terrorists who would want to hurt Bush. Thats why he needs security. That's what I've been saying.

Holly

• VCUBs
  • Twin Stars
    • View Profile
BUSH IN BRITAIN
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2003, 03:28:02 pm »
Quote from: "LimeTwister"

Chum, i'm not implying that she thinks all the protesters would like to harm Bush. Or would seriously think about it. What i'm saying is that she is unclear of who exactly is a threat to Bush- and if groups of protesters do contain 'crazy people'.

Oh, I'm unclear on who would be a threat to Bush? I thought people who would want to hurt him are a threat... That's what I was saying. So they're not a threat then? *confused*

Will

• Moderators
  • Fine as dandelions
    • View Profile
BUSH IN BRITAIN
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2003, 06:04:54 pm »

I really fail to see your point here. Why is protesting irresponsible? I in no way see how it could be. Is expressing your opinion irresponsible? Is having a social conscience irresponsible?

If there weren't all those protestors, all those police would not be necessary. Many fewer police could be used. I don't know if you were a protester or not, but if you were, you would have no right to complain about the 5 million pounds spent on security.

And a social conscience? All that Bush bashing in Europe getting to you? Yeah, Bush isn't perfect. But somehow, most of the evil dictators of the world get a better rep in Europe than Bush and he's a fraction of their evil.

I digress. Arguing about whether or not Bush is good or bad with you is pointless. Let me just state that protesting like what happened in Europe never changed anything. It needlessly consumes police resources and impedes traffic. And let me say that such a demonstration by English people means absolutely nothing to the President of the US. He isn't elected by them. And as to whether or not it's sending a message to Blair et al? I think they already know very well that their policies are not supported by many of their countrymen.

You are wrong. It was only a few days ago that you admitted to me you had little or no idea about the power the Queen holds in this country or indeed our whole political system- don't argue in ignorance. It was a state visit because the Queen invited him- not because Bush is 'Head of State'. It makes a great deal of difference to the purpose and public feeling here, a difference you admitted to have no knowledge of.

Ok. The term "state visit" is never used over here. I was arguing for an incorrect definition based on limited information. Arguing in ignorance? Maybe on the term "state visit." On your goverment in general? I beg to differ.

I read up on things and I learn fast. My problem a few days ago was that what you were telling me was different from what I saw in practice and what I had read before in the news. While I may have confessed ignorance on the subject, that was because many of the things that I had read before contradicted what you had said. Further reading reconciled these differences. They were mainly more about tradition vs. actual practice. There are lots of things in your goverment that work one way in theory, but in actual practice, they operate differently.

I will try not to get any more off topic on this thread, so let's get back to the main point in that last paragraph you wrote. Why would a state visit make such a big difference? Why would it be an insult? Is a state visit a way of saying "Good dog! We approve of what you are doing!"? Nah... it's all diplomacy. What's wrong with that? Or maybe this whole thing has some ceremonial value that I don't understand. If so, it's a rather silly one. Powerful people meet. Often. Courtesy is granted, regardless of whether it's warranted or not.

As they say, diplomacy is the art of telling someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. Treating someone well is one of many methods used in combination to smooth out the trip.

Sorry... I'm on a public workstation. I have to go now. :-\