Author Topic: Why why...??  (Read 7530 times)

Promiscious-boy

• Make me high on lullabies
    • MSN Messenger - Barmy-For-Music@hotmail.co.uk
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Perfectlyin
    • View Profile
Why why...??
« on: July 25, 2006, 11:24:05 am »
Let's have a serious talk now...

I've got a question...

Why British singers, Australians, Kiwi, Canadian etc.. except Americans... why do they sing with the American accent? I mean...

I know that United States is the CENTRE of fame, so... but it's too bad when you find a singer that wants to be an American....

An example given.. Natalie Imbruglia, in her first work, she sang with the american accent..... but she realised that fame was not everything, and she saw that she was sort of denying herself....  so .. in her last two works, she sings with her own accent.... I love when I listen to shiver and I hear... CAN'T GET BACK, I CAN'T LOVE, SOMEWHERE I CAN'T GET TO... ueueueu.. and other songs,

Another one that i really admire is Missy Higgisn, she doesn't sing with the true Aussie accent, but she sort of tries it... like

So the one "came" with.......... day - die, lay - lie....

I love Dido, but I've got to say that she doesn't sing with the british accent.... CAN'T, ASK, PAST, LAST, PASS.. she sings like Americans....

So... I'm here asking you to list me Aussie, British singers that truly sings with their own accents, if you know.. .just let me know.....

Okay.. thanks

I love this Aussiebrit... 50% from Australia, and 50% from United Kingdom

Ryou-Neko

• Your true colors shown
    • MSN Messenger - heavily_toasted_bread@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - damnedColonists
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - wirelesswizarding
    • View Profile
    • http://www.carbon-arts.org
    • Email
Why why...??
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2006, 05:42:56 pm »
Interesting. Kylie Minogue doesn't sing with her Brit accent (as far as I know).

I'd assume you're a fan of Nelly Furtado.
Why don't you come on over? Stop making a fool out of me.

zurielshimon

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • AOL Instant Messenger - weetbixkid36
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/193866568
Why why...??
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2006, 10:28:28 am »
For years I've always thought singers wanted to sound British.  Most rock artists, anyway.  Just listen to how they commonly drop final R's, even if it's not their native habit.  In recent years though, particularly in pop music, I've heard the R's come back, even to the point of sounding almost Irish.
Dustin

LimeTwister

Why why...??
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2006, 11:32:45 am »
Kylie is Australian.

bluebutterfly

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/jesster22
Why why...??
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2006, 05:39:54 pm »
i've always asked the same question and you bring up an excellent point.  it's so annoying when aussies sing the american "can't" and often it's hard to tell the difference between "can't" and "can". argh.   anywho, i can't really think of any aussie singers that use their own accents.  shannon noll did for his first single, but now he's gone all american style.  in one of tammin sursok's songs she uses the australian 'cant' but that only happens once in the entire album.    
i think ill list the ones who use the american accent.
delta goodrem, the veronicas, eskimo joe, candice alley, and er... everyone else.
missy higgins is from new zealand btw.

zurielshimon

• View Profile
Why why...??
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2006, 12:05:14 pm »
Quote from: "bluebutterfly"
i've always asked the same question and you bring up an excellent point.  it's so annoying when aussies sing the american "can't" and often it's hard to tell the difference between "can't" and "can". argh.   anywho, i can't really think of any aussie singers that use their own accents.  shannon noll did for his first single, but now he's gone all american style.  in one of tammin sursok's songs she uses the australian 'cant' but that only happens once in the entire album.    
delta goodrem, the veronicas, eskimo joe, candice alley, and er... everyone else.

Just curious since I don't have any Australian here with me, but what's the difference between what you call the American "can't" and the Australian "can't" ?
Dustin

bluebutterfly

• View Profile
Why why...??
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2006, 01:05:17 am »
Quote from: "zurielshimon"

Just curious since I don't have any Australian here with me, but what's the difference between what you call the American "can't" and the Australian "can't" ?

the way we pronounce it is different.  when americans say "can't" it's said the same way as "can" and kind of hard to tell the difference unless you hear the last T.    when aussies say "can't" we pronounce the ah part different.  same with words such as: last, past, fast, ask...etc

Promiscious-boy

• View Profile
Why why...??
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2006, 11:25:33 am »
Well, let me try...

Can't  the letter A, american does like " stain ".. well, I  tried..
And aussies, british and others, they pronounce like " sOMe " " Month "

But I really like the aussie accent

Today = to die
Lay = lie

I thought Missy Higgins was from Oz...

But I don't agree that DELTA GOODREM sings with the aussie accent, I've been listening to 20 songs of hers.. and I truly didn't see a TO-DIE pronunciation...

Her " late " is not like " light ", the way that aussies do....

zurielshimon

• View Profile
Why why...??
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2006, 12:45:15 pm »
Many Americans do pronounce "can't" as though it rhymes with "paint" or "ain't".  Most, though, do pronounce it just like "can" with a "t" at the end, and it is hard to distinguish as sung sometimes.

I'm not exactly sure I follow what is meant by the Australian pronunciation, though.
Dustin

bluebutterfly

• View Profile
Why why...??
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2006, 03:01:33 am »
Quote from: "Promiscious-boy"
Well, let me try...

Today = to die
Lay = lie

But I don't agree that DELTA GOODREM sings with the aussie accent, I've been listening to 20 songs of hers.. and I truly didn't see a TO-DIE pronunciation...

huh? your post confused me.

Promiscious-boy

• View Profile
Why why...??
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2006, 05:28:44 am »
Quote from: "Promiscious-boy"
Well, let me try...

Today = to die
Lay = lie

huh? your post confused me.

Sorry, it's because I've tried, but forget it.. the fact is

Singers mut sing with their own accent...

THE LIBERTINES is a british band that truly sings with the brit accent. and I don't like their music, but i've gotta listen to it, because it's the only band I've found that sings with the true brit accent

aleera84

• VCUBs
  • I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
  • OC bitch
    • View Profile
Why why...??
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2006, 05:48:50 am »
Missy is from Melbourne  8)

But I do agree with this post, Id love for every artist to sing in their own accent but I just think that its 'natural' to sing with an American one because thats hows its been since day one.

It just means that people like Missy, Sarah Blasko, Butterfly Boucher etc stand out more.

Some artists choose to chuck in their accent on occasion like The Veronica's. Revolution has a mix of both Aus and American which makes it sound cool but I doubt it'll be released in America.

LimeTwister

Why why...??
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2006, 06:36:34 am »
The bigger question is: do the artists actually put thought into how they're singing?  Or is the "American" accent (which, I must say, really isn't a fair term) just one that works better while singing and is never really thought of while the person is singing?  Like, they just sorta started singing that way and never changed it.

aleera84

• VCUBs
  • I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
  • OC bitch
    • View Profile
Why why...??
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2006, 06:28:22 pm »
Yep!
Have you heard Stephanie McIntosh's song 'Mistake'? Shes off Neighbours. Her American accent is just over the top  :?

bluebutterfly

• View Profile
Why why...??
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2006, 09:20:30 pm »
i hate "revolution". ick. the accents sound so screwed up. and i don't like steph mcintosh's song either.  
if missy higgins is from melbourne then why does she have a kiwi accent?  :?  

limetwister...as an aussie i can say that 85% of whats on the radio is sung in an american accent.  as a result, when we sing along we pick up the accent without knowing it.  my singing teacher had to point it out to me that i was doing it and now i'm erm...embracing my australian voice. haha.