Author Topic: Dear California  (Read 40989 times)

joey

• Your true colors shown
    • MSN Messenger - josephherbert@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Dear California
« Reply #45 on: June 05, 2011, 02:34:43 am »
Well we know she smokes weed occasionally (or not-so-occasionally when she's on tour).
I get the feeling that she might also be an occasional smoker as well.
I can't see her as a pack-a-day regular smoker, but maybe she will have a cigarette every now and then, like when she's stressed or drinking or something (like me)

Sarah xx
Lol... That's often the way I smoke too... When I'm drinking/stressed... But I can imagine V maybe doing the same. I mean...  I'm sure she isn't any teetotaller :P

To answer your question about quitting, I've tried doing this once when I found myself staring at an entire pack one day (during a REALLY stressed out time) I actually smoked two of them and then tore each one up and threw them from my balcony... It was creepy but also a bit liberating...
"I see the Dalai Lama ... I feel him blessing me"

Myspace...Add me...

bumblebee429

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2011, 02:52:08 am »
To answer your question about quitting, I've tried doing this once when I found myself staring at an entire pack one day (during a REALLY stressed out time) I actually smoked two of them and then tore each one up and threw them from my balcony... It was creepy but also a bit liberating...
Yeh I know, I don't smoke much (a couple a day), but about once a week I'll throw a half empty deck out and be like "that's it, I'm done, I'm quitting". That moment is liberating, but it unfortunately never seems to last long *sigh* :-\

Sarah xx

Manny

• I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 05, 2011, 01:13:45 pm »
This is the type of song that you could be singing a long with your friends while driving the car and having fun! such a summer song!

AisforAdrn

• Your true colors shown
  • Boots on concrete...
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 05, 2011, 08:43:16 pm »
BellaDonna is a type of drug..Haha so...she's most likely doing that.
Peace
Adriann

sarab

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
  • Wolves howl to a moon and she never answers back
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: June 05, 2011, 09:57:44 pm »
was curious about the plant so I looked it up! (from wikipedia):
Atropa belladonna or Atropa bella-donna, commonly known as Belladonna, Devil's Berries, Death Cherries or Deadly Nightshade, is a perennial herbaceous plant in the family Solanaceae, native to Europe, North Africa, and Western Asia. The foliage and berries are extremely toxic, containing tropane alkaloids. These toxins include scopolamine and hyoscyamine which cause a bizarre delirium and hallucinations,[1] and are also used as pharmaceutical anticholinergics.

It has a long history of use as a medicine, cosmetic, and poison. Before the Middle Ages, it was used as an anesthetic for surgery, the ancient Romans used it as a poison

Atropa belladonna, along with related plants such as jimson weed (Datura stramonium), have occasionally been used as a recreational drug because of the vivid hallucinations and delirium that it produces. These hallucinations are most commonly described as very unpleasant, however, and recreational use is considered extremely dangerous because of the high risk of unintentional fatal overdose.[29][30][31] In addition, the central nervous system effects of atropine include memory disruption, which may lead to severe confusion.[32]

In the past, it was believed that witches used a mixture of belladonna, opium poppy, and other plants, typically poisonous (such as monkshood and poison hemlock) in flying ointment they applied to help them fly to gatherings with other witches. Carlo Ginzburg and others have argued that flying ointments were preparations meant to encourage hallucinatory dreaming

also this site http://www.alchemy-works.com/atropa_belladonna.html  (look at the name of the site!)
~Sara~

joey

• Your true colors shown
    • MSN Messenger - josephherbert@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: June 05, 2011, 10:49:24 pm »
In the past, it was believed that witches used a mixture of belladonna, opium poppy, and other plants, typically poisonous (such as monkshood and poison hemlock) in flying ointment they applied to help them fly to gatherings with other witches. Carlo Ginzburg and others have argued that flying ointments were preparations meant to encourage hallucinatory dreaming

also this site http://www.alchemy-works.com/atropa_belladonna.html  (look at the name of the site!)

I remember watching this movie 'Practical Magic' starring Nicole Kidman and Sandra Bullock where they play witches. In the movie, they use Belladonna to make a guy tipsy (and end up murdering him).

I mentioned this earlier... It seems like a definite witchcraft ingredient ;)

She's so occult ;)
"I see the Dalai Lama ... I feel him blessing me"

Myspace...Add me...

sarab

• Wolves howl to a moon and she never answers back
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: June 05, 2011, 11:01:27 pm »

I remember watching this movie 'Practical Magic' starring Nicole Kidman and Sandra Bullock where they play witches. In the movie, they use Belladonna to make a guy tipsy (and end up murdering him).

She's so occult ;)

LOVE LOVE LOVE that movie.  I err on the side of her also being occult! Maybe that's just my projection though :)   she is definitely open minded when it comes to cultures and religions outside of the "normal" ones.
I noticed, most especially in this album, she makes a lot of celestial references - moon, sun, stars, weather.
In regaurds to how belladonna is used in this song, I think she means it to be more on the poison side than the drug side, or she would use more hallucinatory references rather than saying the alchemy is "suspicious".  if that makes any sense.
~Sara~

KULPDOGG

• View Profile
    • http://kulpdogg.googlepages.com
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: June 05, 2011, 11:36:44 pm »
When I'm not in company is when you feel it most

bumblebee429

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 06, 2011, 03:34:19 am »

She's so occult ;)

I love this movie too! One of my favourites as a kid :D

Sarah xx

[sobriquet]

• Fine as dandelions
  • And love comes back around again.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 07, 2011, 05:47:55 am »
Dear California:tale of the missus in the Doors song Love Her Madly."Don't u love her as she's walkin out the door."She knows jim.She knows.

SO that's why! I thought it was something personal.

It's like an answer song to a song released forty years ago.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 05:51:41 am by [sobriquet] »

Floating on the sea, stars are watching me. Currents take me out, what will be will be.

JamesCrowley

• Willing and Able to... Run
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: June 07, 2011, 06:06:11 am »
Dear California:tale of the missus in the Doors song Love Her Madly."Don't u love her as she's walkin out the door."She knows jim.She knows.

I think that's one of the reasons i didn't immediately like the song. It didn't seem to be very similar to how i would picture her, just not very personal almost.

[sobriquet]

• Fine as dandelions
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 07, 2011, 06:57:58 am »

I think that's one of the reasons i didn't immediately like the song. It didn't seem to be very similar to how i would picture her, just not very personal almost.

Maybe it's still personal, but not as very personal as 'Rinse.' I don't think V is not like Regina Spektor who write totally unpersonalized songs. I think there's still personal attachment to the song, though not as intimate maybe.

Floating on the sea, stars are watching me. Currents take me out, what will be will be.

JamesCrowley

• Willing and Able to... Run
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: June 07, 2011, 07:49:13 am »

Maybe it's still personal, but not as very personal as 'Rinse.' I don't think V is not like Regina Spektor who write totally unpersonalized songs. I think there's still personal attachment to the song, though not as intimate maybe.

Oh yeah i get that! i mean she still has some real feeling in the song, but it just really doesn't fit with the image of her that i have in my head. I don't really know why lol. Yeah she's not like Regina Spektor at all (with the unpersonalised songs) Which is what surprised me so much with dear california. Still think it's a good song, just not an immediate favourite.

[sobriquet]

• Fine as dandelions
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 07, 2011, 07:56:46 am »

Oh yeah i get that! i mean she still has some real feeling in the song, but it just really doesn't fit with the image of her that i have in my head. I don't really know why lol. Yeah she's not like Regina Spektor at all (with the unpersonalised songs) Which is what surprised me so much with dear california. Still think it's a good song, just not an immediate favourite.

I get it too. (: But it's really great that V is opening doors for songs like Dear California. Maybe it sounds a little out of her league at first hearing, but I don't think that it is.

And as she has mentioned - she has waken up. She's more alive than ever. I think that her positivity just radiates even in her new songs. Everything just sounds more hopeful and brighter.

bumblebee429

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 08, 2011, 05:00:57 am »
Well we know she smokes weed occasionally (or not-so-occasionally when she's on tour).
I get the feeling that she might also be an occasional smoker as well.
I can't see her as a pack-a-day regular smoker, but maybe she will have a cigarette every now and then, like when she's stressed or drinking or something (like me)
Lol... That's often the way I smoke too... When I'm drinking/stressed... But I can imagine V maybe doing the same. I mean...  I'm sure she isn't any teetotaller :P

So in the LiveStream session she admitted to "drinking a lot of whiskey and smoking a lot of cigarettes" to try and get her voice to have that "leathery sound".
That made me laugh - she's so quirky, and just so... "vanessa"

Sarah xx