Author Topic: V's Most Underrated Songs  (Read 13725 times)

OPENROAD

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
Re: V's Most Underrated Songs
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2011, 04:28:37 pm »
Just listening to Rinse at the moment, really think its a very powerful song, and like all her songs, a great melody. Also Sway is another song from that album that is very underrated.
Never too late to change the pace
oh how the days creep up on you
but the goodness is something you don't have to chase
cause its following you

mysticalmists

• Make me high on lullabies
  • LET THE COUNTDOWN BEGIN.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2011, 07:32:41 pm »
I adore "Superhero" - I'm glad that it got to the unreleased CD stage, so we have a clear sound copy of it..and "Faces" - seriously, that song gives me goosebumps, even though it's just a demo tape...

Rekky

• Willing and Able to... Run
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2011, 08:30:30 am »
I recently discovered Superhero and I love it. The same thing with All is well. More than underrated I think that they are like tresaures, is great to see that the unreleased songs are beautiful and powerful just like the ones in the albums but the fact that they are unknown for a lot of people make them more special. I feel like I am discovering her once again.

sarab

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
  • Wolves howl to a moon and she never answers back
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2011, 10:06:48 pm »
Rekky, I agree.  I only recently heard the demo tape (thanks to this site and the essential downloads thread).  I couldn't believe all the greats on there.  They are like little treasures and I feel privllaged to have heard them when others have been deprived (though I like it that way most of the time).  She could have a whole album with those songs.  They do seem more simple and less complex even verbally, but still awesome and full of meaning and depth.
~Sara~

[sobriquet]

• Fine as dandelions
  • And love comes back around again.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2011, 12:56:48 am »
Rekky, I agree.  I only recently heard the demo tape (thanks to this site and the essential downloads thread).  I couldn't believe all the greats on there.  They are like little treasures and I feel privllaged to have heard them when others have been deprived (though I like it that way most of the time).  She could have a whole album with those songs.  They do seem more simple and less complex even verbally, but still awesome and full of meaning and depth.

I agree. I think the demo tape is also thematic - about a girl's journey towards womanhood. If V would do a remake of these songs, I think it would sound so differently beautiful.

Floating on the sea, stars are watching me. Currents take me out, what will be will be.

sarab

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2011, 02:11:10 am »

I agree. I think the demo tape is also thematic - about a girl's journey towards womanhood. If V would do a remake of these songs, I think it would sound so differently beautiful.

Oh yes! I never thought of it that way.  Very perceptive.  I would love for her to revisit these songs..maybe tweak them, though they don't NEED tweaking...maybe develop them more, is what I mean to say.  It would be great to hear cleaner, studio versions.  Though I'm sure in other ways she wants to leave them as they are because they speak of a different time in her life and to go back to them would ruin (for lack of a better term) what they mean and the context they are in.  She is all about moving forward, not looking back so to revamp them would soil their authenticity. (So basically I'm contradicting myself. haha, I do that a lot.  I want the best of both worlds!)
~Sara~

[sobriquet]

• Fine as dandelions
  • And love comes back around again.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2011, 03:25:25 am »

Oh yes! I never thought of it that way.  Very perceptive.  I would love for her to revisit these songs..maybe tweak them, though they don't NEED tweaking...maybe develop them more, is what I mean to say.  It would be great to hear cleaner, studio versions.  Though I'm sure in other ways she wants to leave them as they are because they speak of a different time in her life and to go back to them would ruin (for lack of a better term) what they mean and the context they are in.  She is all about moving forward, not looking back so to revamp them would soil their authenticity. (So basically I'm contradicting myself. haha, I do that a lot.  I want the best of both worlds!)

I agree with the moving forward idea. She always says that each song is like a chapter of a book. And I guess in reading a book, you move forward.

But if she would release a compilation of remakes of those, I'd imagine her calling the album Full Circle or something on the lines.

Floating on the sea, stars are watching me. Currents take me out, what will be will be.

ryan9315

• Make me high on lullabies
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2011, 09:52:58 pm »
What if I said "M.A.K.E.L.O.V.E.T.O.M.E."? Just kidding!

WhiteRabbit

• Your true colors shown
  • 'Cause It's All White On White....
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2011, 04:51:43 pm »
LOL!!

sarab

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2011, 03:16:07 am »

Oh, I would have to agree.   :P
~Sara~

OPENROAD

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2011, 06:19:49 pm »
Just listening to Fools Like Me at the moment, really love it.
cause its following you

OPENROAD

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2011, 09:06:50 pm »
One song I don't see mentioned too much is Pretty Baby. Really love the demo version and live versions. I know the lyrics are quite innocent but thats part of its charm and she was quite young when she wrote it.

Definitely one of my favorite melodies, beautiful.
cause its following you

sarab

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2011, 10:21:02 pm »
One song I don't see mentioned too much is Pretty Baby. Really love the demo version and live versions. I know the lyrics are quite innocent but thats part of its charm and she was quite young when she wrote it.

oh, I don't think Pretty Baby is innocent at all!  To me, it's  not a love song, it's an obsession song.  I have written about this elsewhere so I won't go in to it here.  I'm not a fan of the "radio version" it was fine the way it was!
~Sara~

OPENROAD

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2011, 11:12:43 pm »

oh, I don't think Pretty Baby is innocent at all!  To me, it's  not a love song, it's an obsession song.  I have written about this elsewhere so I won't go in to it here.  I'm not a fan of the "radio version" it was fine the way it was!

hey good point, suppose the lyrics can certainly be interpreted that way, I mentioned this in my introduction, but that song was so written about me and this girl I knew coincidently around the time the song was released.

The production on Be Not Nobody album was very good but I agree with you regarding the radio version/UK album version, was so happy to find the demo version in a rare online music shop. I must do a search on the site for your post on it, would be interested to read your interpretation of it.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 11:16:10 pm by OPENROAD »
cause its following you

sarab

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2011, 11:43:25 pm »

oh, I don't think Pretty Baby is innocent at all!  To me, it's  not a love song, it's an obsession song.  I have written about this elsewhere so I won't go in to it here.  I'm not a fan of the "radio version" it was fine the way it was!

hey good point, suppose the lyrics can certainly be interpreted that way, I mentioned this in my introduction, but that song was so written about me and this girl I knew coincidently around the time the song was released.

The production on Be Not Nobody album was very good but I agree with you regarding the radio version/UK album version, was so happy to find the demo version in a rare online music shop. I must do a search on the site for your post on it, would be interested to read your interpretation of it.

I do recall that.  I don't recall WHERE I posted my thing, but I will look as well and let you know if I find it!  The song can certainly be taken both ways. However, when she did a show in Rochester, NY 2002 she said something to the effect of everyone thinking it's a love song, but it's not (and I remember thinking, I KNEW THAT!)  Then the video shows her tying up the guy..
~Sara~