Author Topic: Diet help???  (Read 19458 times)

Morgan

• Your true colors shown
    • MSN Messenger - deeperthansurface@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
Diet help???
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2008, 10:51:06 am »
Why is that bad?
Is it because you're shooting for lower than that?
That's what she said.

iluvvanessa

• Fine as dandelions
    • AOL Instant Messenger - nolitafairytale1
    • View Profile
    • deviant art profile
Diet help???
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2008, 11:33:58 am »
because i weigh more than that.

SadAsBlue

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
Diet help???
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2008, 12:37:02 pm »
Quote from: "_all_is_well_"
Quote from: "davidjp"
Being healthy is the most important thing. Don't skip meals and starve yourself. If the gym is too expensive, running is the best way to stay in shape, you burn a lot of calories and gain leg muscles. Eat foods that are low GI like whole-meal bread, pasta, oats and fruit so you feel fully for longer, thus reducing the amount of calories you're in-taking. Eating those foods will also result in increased energy levels, making exercise easier.

If I didnt run i'd be so fat.

I feel like that too. If I don't run for a few days I start freaking out.
ENS

VanessaCarltonMania

• Your true colors shown
    • MSN Messenger - charmed.ashley@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Diet help???
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2008, 12:48:06 pm »
hahahah

i think im the worst here!!!
i never run!!! (partly cuz i have asthma :razz: but also cuz i dont like to )
i eat snacks...i eat dinner....i DO eat veggies and fruits....so i guess i have a healthier diet than some...but still...im not OBSESSING abt my weight or figure....i figure i can lose some weight....if i had the will-power that is :razz: :lol:
http://allpoetry.com/fallengoddess - Check out my poetry and tell me what you think! Many thanks! -

Manda

• Speeding into the horizon
    • View Profile
Diet help???
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2008, 11:59:42 pm »
Quote from: "SadAsBlue"
Quote from: "_all_is_well_"
Being healthy is the most important thing. Don't skip meals and starve yourself. If the gym is too expensive, running is the best way to stay in shape, you burn a lot of calories and gain leg muscles. Eat foods that are low GI like whole-meal bread, pasta, oats and fruit so you feel fully for longer, thus reducing the amount of calories you're in-taking. Eating those foods will also result in increased energy levels, making exercise easier.

If I didnt run i'd be so fat.

I feel like that too. If I don't run for a few days I start freaking out.

My cousin runs five miles every day (Yes, seven days a week!) in the morning. She's so thin, and she doesn't eat red meat. We call her a rabbit because she just nibbles on everything when she does eat.

I definitely think you should see a doctor and ask, not some place at the mall or quiz on the internet. What you are doing now is not healthy, you are only hurting yourself.

You know that Dirrty feeling when you wake up with no pants on face down on the floor of the city bus and you got like a condom in your ear? Thats the feeling we are trying to create! - Sarah Michelle Gellar

nicole

• Moderators
  • Fine as dandelions
  • more rides than great adventure
    • AOL Instant Messenger - lovePLASTIClove
    • View Profile
Diet help???
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2008, 02:06:42 am »
LET ME BREAK THIS DOWN FOR YOU...

I have learned plenty during my lifelong ride on the diet roller coaster.  I still have not managed to get off the fucking ride.  But that will be changing in 14 pounds.  

There is no magic pill or miracle diet.  Hate to break it to you, but all of that is worthless and temporary.  You have to make a lifestyle change.  You need to be aware of what you are eating and remember you have to feel satified & not full.  Let's not forget that exercise is key.  If you starve and not exercise...  you will be gross and saggy!  

For gals... make sure you have a low fat, low carb and low calorie diet.  The lowest amount of caloric intake recommended by a doctor is 1,200 calories a day.  For guys its 1,800 (if I remember correctly).  Don't waste your calories by drinking them!  Drink water or diet drinks.  Make sure you stick to whole grains, lean meats, low fat dairy, veggies & fruits.  You can get creative and make some really tasty stuff.  

I highly recommend the biggest loser work out DVDs.  I love them!  They are fun and make you sweat like crazy.  Its very inspirational to see the contestants of the show in the video.  Some of the videos even include workout and nutrition tips (recipes) .  They have 4 different DVDs.  The DVDs mostly have a bunch of short workouts that you can combine however you want.  You should do at least 30-45 minute workouts 3 times a week.    It goes by quick and you will feel great once it gets easier and easier.    If you have a gym membership, make sure to sculpt along with your cardio.  Muscle is a hot plate for melting fat.  The more (lean) muscle you form, more calories are burned.  

I've done a lot of those wacky diets.  I've done Jenny Craig, Cabbage Soup Diet, Atkins, Nicole's Diet (400-600 calories a day with no exercise) blah blah  Nothing has worked best and had me feeling great like what I described above.  Over the last 6 years I've been on the damn coaster.  I estimate that I have lost 106 pounds from my peak weight about 6 years ago.  I love to help with this crap... so feel free to ask if you'd like.

NESSAussie

• Fine as dandelions
    • MSN Messenger - nessaussie@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mybiopro.com/AU/?ID=harmonium
Diet help???
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2008, 03:52:27 am »
Quote from: "nicole"
... Nicole's Diet (400-600 calories a day with no exercise) blah blah...
Wow! I think I exceeded that just with my dinner tonight; though I had a
smaller than usual breakfast, no lunch and was pretty hungry by the time
I got home. As regular as my work roster is, there's no set finishing time
in any shift and with the way my workplace is staffed, no designated meal
break except on Saturdays. I left at 9:30AM and got back at 6:30, so I'm
looking forward to be able to take food with me once I get my car back :razz:

Peace

Aaron

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Lord Andrew
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Grakthis
    • View Profile
    • http://www.grakthis.com
Diet help???
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2008, 07:57:47 am »
Quote from: "iluvvanessa"
ok first of all how dare you call me a liar. You don't fucking know me, you have no idea how hard this was for me to sit in a restaurant with my family eating food and me sitting there with a dry salad if that, you have no clue how many people have called me anorexic for not eating lunch, and seeing that i dramatcally lost weight, I put in so much to do this diet and lose weight because I HAVE WILL POWER! If you want to fucking call me a liar you go ahead, but you are the one who is lying, i admit that i didn't lose my weight the healthy way, but i lost it, a person on a diet defined healthy loses about 1 pound of body fat per WEEK, I took health last semester and i know that what i do to diet MIGHT have been classified as VERY MINOR anorexia, but i know myself well enough to know my limits. I worked extremely hard to lose all the weight that i lost in that time, i ate very little, and didn't end up in a hospital. i am still a normal person. You can't judge people like me and call them a liar on something that you obviously can't prove wrong, if you were my mother or in my family you would know that i am not lying.

your help is very  much appreciated, but you calling me a liar isnt.

I can fly and lift over 800 pounds with 1 arm.

It's true because I said it on the internet.  And if you call me a liar you are a terrible person.
If you are reading this, you are probably on my ignore list.  Click here to return the favor

Wagella Wrote:Yay for Bigotry!!

---Andrew

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Lord Andrew
    • View Profile
Diet help???
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2008, 08:00:08 am »
Starving yourself in order to lose weight is a very stupid idea, Sure, you obviously will lose weight over time, but once you've reached your desired weight, you'll put the weight back on very quickly, you might even gain weight.

If you want to lose weight, you need to make a lifestyle change, that means eating healthy foods that fill you up, and exercising. It doesn't have to be vigorous exercise, it could just be jogging for 15 minutes a day.

But it's your body, and if you wanna starve...not my problem.  :roll:

15 minutes a day of jogging might burn 150 calories (at a 6 Mph pace) and won't help your heart at all.

You'd be better off doing 30 minutes every other day.
If you are reading this, you are probably on my ignore list.  Click here to return the favor

---Andrew

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Lord Andrew
    • View Profile
Diet help???
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2008, 08:15:08 am »
Quote from: "nicole"
LET ME BREAK THIS DOWN FOR YOU...

I have learned plenty during my lifelong ride on the diet roller coaster.  I still have not managed to get off the fucking ride.  But that will be changing in 14 pounds.  

There is no magic pill or miracle diet.  Hate to break it to you, but all of that is worthless and temporary.  You have to make a lifestyle change.  You need to be aware of what you are eating and remember you have to feel satified & not full.  Let's not forget that exercise is key.  If you starve and not exercise...  you will be gross and saggy!  

For gals... make sure you have a low fat, low carb and low calorie diet.  The lowest amount of caloric intake recommended by a doctor is 1,200 calories a day.  For guys its 1,800 (if I remember correctly).  Don't waste your calories by drinking them!  Drink water or diet drinks.  Make sure you stick to whole grains, lean meats, low fat dairy, veggies & fruits.  You can get creative and make some really tasty stuff.  

I highly recommend the biggest loser work out DVDs.  I love them!  They are fun and make you sweat like crazy.  Its very inspirational to see the contestants of the show in the video.  Some of the videos even include workout and nutrition tips (recipes) .  They have 4 different DVDs.  The DVDs mostly have a bunch of short workouts that you can combine however you want.  You should do at least 30-45 minute workouts 3 times a week.    It goes by quick and you will feel great once it gets easier and easier.    If you have a gym membership, make sure to sculpt along with your cardio.  Muscle is a hot plate for melting fat.  The more (lean) muscle you form, more calories are burned.  

I've done a lot of those wacky diets.  I've done Jenny Craig, Cabbage Soup Diet, Atkins, Nicole's Diet (400-600 calories a day with no exercise) blah blah  Nothing has worked best and had me feeling great like what I described above.  Over the last 6 years I've been on the damn coaster.  I estimate that I have lost 106 pounds from my peak weight about 6 years ago.  I love to help with this crap... so feel free to ask if you'd like.

I agree with all of this except the low fat dairy and diet drinks.

If you need them for some reason, fine. Better to be healthy and eating processed things than to be overweight (I say the same thing to people who eat sugar free deserts and such... better to just not eat desert... but if you NEED them...).  But in the long run, the less processing done to your food the better.  Diet drinks and low fat dairy (and this includes dairy derivatives like salad dressings) are frequently heavily processed to obtain the results without the usual fat requirements (for example, without fat, sour cream is not creamy, so you don't get ranch dressing without it, etc).

Dairy fat is largely healthy fat.  It contains a ton of the protiens you need for your muscles to work efficiently.  You will rarely find a runner or other casual athlete who would touch low-fat products.  In fact, Cottage Cheese is so popular with athletes because of the high concentration of good protiens in the fat.

Diet sodas are even worse for you.  They are full of chemicals and syrups and preservatives and god knows what else.  Again, if you need them, go for it.  But you're much better off with water.

Note: this doesn't include low-fat dairy things that are just made with like 2% milk or whatever.  Some dairy products can be made with 2%, which is just whole milk + water (not tap water, it's some of the byproduct of the dairy process, but same idea).

I've found that eating healthy, fresh, natural (unprocessed) things AUTOMATICALLY causes you to consume fewer calories.  Let me give you an example... a cheeseburger you buy at Burger King could easily have 1000 calories in it.  But if you make one yourself with half lean ground beef and half turkey, a whole wheat bun and whatever condiments you like, I guarantee you that you save yourself 200+ calories.  Now, an 800 calorie cheeseburger is still not good for you, but if you changed nothing else about your diet except that you'd be losing 10 pounds a year.

---Andrew

iluvvanessa

• Fine as dandelions
    • View Profile
    • deviant art profile
Diet help???
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2008, 01:38:57 pm »
Quote from: "Grakthis"
ok first of all how dare you call me a liar. You don't fucking know me, you have no idea how hard this was for me to sit in a restaurant with my family eating food and me sitting there with a dry salad if that, you have no clue how many people have called me anorexic for not eating lunch, and seeing that i dramatcally lost weight, I put in so much to do this diet and lose weight because I HAVE WILL POWER! If you want to fucking call me a liar you go ahead, but you are the one who is lying, i admit that i didn't lose my weight the healthy way, but i lost it, a person on a diet defined healthy loses about 1 pound of body fat per WEEK, I took health last semester and i know that what i do to diet MIGHT have been classified as VERY MINOR anorexia, but i know myself well enough to know my limits. I worked extremely hard to lose all the weight that i lost in that time, i ate very little, and didn't end up in a hospital. i am still a normal person. You can't judge people like me and call them a liar on something that you obviously can't prove wrong, if you were my mother or in my family you would know that i am not lying.

your help is very  much appreciated, but you calling me a liar isnt.

I can fly and lift over 800 pounds with 1 arm.

It's true because I said it on the internet.  And if you call me a liar you are a terrible person.

you're an asshole! bitch! You have no fucking idea what I am going through and how fucking stressed out I am at this point and time. you telling me that i am a terrible person you are so fucking wrong you have no idea. i would go into a huge rant about how i am not a terrible person but i dont need to prove anything to you people.

amberbeads

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Idledaylight01
    • View Profile
    • http://shameless-selfpromo.blogspot.com
Diet help???
« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2008, 02:13:51 pm »
...i ate very little... i am still a normal person.

It is not "normal" to eat very little. Your body needs food, and plenty of it. Reducing your intake within reason along with sensibility and exercise is the way to lose weight. Eating very little is just going to make you a whole different kind of unhealthy.

I never, ever drink empty calories, except alcohol  :oops: , which is not something I have all the time, obviously. During the day I drink water, unsweetened tea, sometimes diet drinks (aspartame is not good for you at all, either). I am not a vegetarian but I just don't like to hassle with meat that often. When I do eat it, it is antibiotic-free, skinless chicken breasts. Otherwise, I eat vegetables galore. Tomatoes, onions, mushrooms, spinach, eggplant, bell peppers, asparagus; I literally will eat huge bowls of cooked vegetables for meals and they are so delicious and hearty. I rarely eat rice or pasta (and always whole grain if I do) and I snack on mangoes, peaches and oranges. I have no idea what my daily caloric intake is and I don't care; all I know is I love the food I eat and I have been losing weight but feel really good.

Andrew may be picking on you but his advice on dieting is good, you should listen to him. And I agree that your story seems a bit far-fetched. People on shows like The Biggest Loser lose that much weight that quickly, but they are carefully supervised by dietitians and personal trainers. If you really did lose as much weight as you say, I would be concerned for your personal health. You should see a doctor and have a physical done.
*natalie*

at least i can say
i was not afraid
i loved you all the way
i'd pick the fool any day.

iluvvanessa

• Fine as dandelions
    • View Profile
    • deviant art profile
Diet help???
« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2008, 02:52:26 pm »
When you weighed as much as i did, it wouldn't be that hard to lose the weight, when you weigh more you lose faster, and guys burn about 26% more calories.

_all_is_well_

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
Diet help???
« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2008, 03:02:14 pm »
When you weighed as much as i did, it wouldn't be that hard to lose the weight, when you weigh more you lose faster, and guys burn about 26% more calories.

Im sorry that people are picking on you. It really is a dramatic wieght lose though. Im skinny but i wanted to lose aboud 5 pounds, and be more healthy. So i started bringing yogurts to lunch and water bottles without my crystal light :(. People thought I was anorexic. I also was in track at that time and i lost 5 pounds now im good. I did it the healthy way. What your doing is what most celebraties do.

iluvvanessa

• Fine as dandelions
    • View Profile
    • deviant art profile
Diet help???
« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2008, 03:23:18 pm »
i dont think over the course of about 6 months its a dramoatic loss, people on like weight watchers or whatever lose weight like this.