Author Topic: Can Vanessa Carlton go platinum again with her 3rd album?  (Read 9242 times)

Cowboystrader

• Willing and Able to... Run
    • View Profile
    • Email
Can Vanessa Carlton go platinum again with her 3rd album?
« on: June 01, 2006, 09:56:29 pm »
What's the story/rumor mill on how good this 3rd album of Vanessa Carlton's will be?

I am sure we all here on this message board will like it but as far as album sales go...will it be like her 2nd album did? Will it be promoted better than her 2nd album? Will there be more than one music video/single for this 3rd album?

Chris
Arlington, TX

MeganJane

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
    • My music on myspace!
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2006, 10:29:35 pm »
We don't know. Everything we do know has been posted already, and you will know as much as us if you read the other threads that are variations on this topic.

Of course we all wish the best for Vanessa and her forthcoming album, and we all have faith in her (as for the record company and its affiliates, that's another story altogether), but all we know thus far is speculation, not fact.

If we knew, you would know already.
"Music produces a kind of pleasure that human nature cannot do without."
-CONFUCIUS

"It is hard. You have to fight for who you are everyday" -VANESSA CARLTON

shinessobright

• MSN Messenger - shinessobright
    • AOL Instant Messenger - privateradiogirl
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - canyouseemyfirerain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2006, 08:48:04 am »
I'm with MeganJane. I also think that all of her fans hope that the cds fly off the shelf. We all want her to do her best. We believe in her, and its that faith, that faith from us that keeps her going. Without us, her music would just be stuff she records for herself, without her, we would just be nerds without a cause or care...
And all the constellations shine down on you and me... and if you don't believe me, just put your hands on me...

"This is a song about relationships that are condemned either by your family, or by the government..." Vanessa Carlton about Who's to Say

bluebutterfly

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/jesster22
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2006, 12:17:30 am »
Whether or not Vanessa hits mega-stardom again or not, it doesn't bother me.  She's a brilliant song writer and she has made 2 great albums so far, and I'll still continue to support her and her music.  The "media" thing isn't really important.

nat

• Make me high on lullabies
    • MSN Messenger - nasty_candido@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/natalinha
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2006, 12:47:21 pm »
this cd will be a great job, vanessa will work what she do better, music...and it´s not important if the album will sell so much or not, i will be on her side always.

B

• Captain Awesome
  • Moderators
  • Just looking for some affection
  • Transcending the Possimpible
    • View Profile
    • Nh.com Twitter Page!
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2006, 07:14:18 pm »
Her doing well with the third album will be even more dependent on label promo than Harmonium was. Street teams, people here, etc. can help, but word of mouth only goes so far if whatever label she'll be on doesn't back it, too. Her name has been out of the game too long for the common music fan to just pick up, know who she is, and care. But then again, it could work to her advantage she's been under the radar for a couple years. Who knows.
For all you broken hearted lovers lost, go find another one. 'Cause you know time won't wait and you'll be late, white rabbits on the run...

MeganJane

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
    • My music on myspace!
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2006, 07:53:52 pm »
So far, I agree with what everyone's had to say on this topic. Anything could happen. There could be a huge comeback, but the harsh reality is that there also may never be. However, as long as Vanessa gets to use her gifts and talents in this way to make fabulous music, then I would classify her as being successful, as she is doing what she loves. The sad thing is, with the state of the music industry today, many people just don't 'get' Vanessa and her music. Which is certainly their problem and nothing to do with Nessa. She is brilliant.
-CONFUCIUS

PianoGirl4444

• Fine as dandelions
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shannonthomas.net
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2006, 05:00:59 am »
^For real.^

People are always blaming the industry for making terrible music, but I also blame the public for enjoying that terrible music & overlooking the good stuff.  People should already know who V is...it's shocking that they didn't respond to her when she was huge & latch on like us Nessaholics!   :roll:
Cross paths with what you used to have. You've gotta learn that you've gotta earn
The fantasy
:: shannonthomas.net ::

musicnotex

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2006, 06:11:10 am »
Anything could happen. There could be a huge comeback, but the harsh reality is that there also may never be.

thats true. i agree with that. i hope v does well though! though it IS true that listeners can be fickle, and same for the media and the press. but i would love to see something like bnn happen again for her 3rd album, though id still support her no matter how low-key she is. its just that she's worked so hard, and she's so talented, i feel she really deserves more recognition than she's getting now..thats why i want this album to do well.

MeganJane

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
    • My music on myspace!
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2006, 05:54:47 pm »
People are always blaming the industry for making terrible music, but I also blame the public for enjoying that terrible music & overlooking the good stuff. People should already know who V is...it's shocking that they didn't respond to her when she was huge & latch on like us Nessaholics!

Well said. I wholeheartedly agree. How does crap sell if no-one buys it? Maybe people don't want to think about lyrics, etc. There are ALWAYS, ALWAYS new songs that are variations on this:

"Ooh, baby, let's go dancing all night long
Oh yeah, DJ play my song.
Ooh, baby, I wanna make love all night
Coz tonite, it's never felt so right"

(just made that up, it's easy becuase we've all heard it a million times)
..And with songs like that, no-one has to think. It's all spelt out for you and it's so thematically bland and devoid of depth that people can just passively listen and not get involved at all (unless they're dancing... all night long, requesting songs...)

It sucks. And these songs keep getting made because people buy them. And the "intelligent" songs that sell, are usually only relatively intelligent, and not really that thought-provoking. (Well, they are thought provoking in the sense that I think: "How the **** does this **** sell? It doesn't even make sense!!!")

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Quote:
Anything could happen. There could be a huge comeback, but the harsh reality is that there also may never be.

thats true. i agree with that. i hope v does well though! though it IS true that listeners can be fickle, and same for the media and the press. but i would love to see something like bnn happen again for her 3rd album, though id still support her no matter how low-key she is. its just that she's worked so hard, and she's so talented, i feel she really deserves more recognition than she's getting now..thats why i want this album to do well.

True. I sincerely hope that when I'm making my music, my fans are good people like you guys. xxx
-CONFUCIUS

Ryou-Neko

• Your true colors shown
    • MSN Messenger - heavily_toasted_bread@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - damnedColonists
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - wirelesswizarding
    • View Profile
    • http://www.carbon-arts.org
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2006, 07:56:38 am »
I really don't think that she has a niche in popular music anymore. The only way that I can see her 3rd album going platinum is if a) her album has HUGE promotional efforts, b) the mainstream audience somehow begins to like the kind of music that was on Harmonium (or at least music similar to it) or c) if she sells out like Nelly Furtado (don't get me wrong, I like her new song, but it's still a sell out) and does a techno-ish song featuring some rap artist. I love Nessa and wish her the best, but I really feel that she's been gone too long from the mainstream. But I'll be DELIGHTED if she does get a hit song or platinum album, that'd be wonderful.
Why don't you come on over? Stop making a fool out of me.

whitehouses81680

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2006, 09:11:25 am »
pessimist  :roll:

MeganJane

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
    • My music on myspace!
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2006, 03:21:36 am »
I really don't think that she has a niche in popular music anymore.

I can see why you may have come to believe that, I understand your point, but look around you:

WE are Vanessa's niche!!!![/i]
-CONFUCIUS

musicnotex

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2006, 05:32:48 am »
hmm...about the niche thing, every artist would have their own hardcore fans, so i guess at least the good thing is, theres always people willing to buy v's albums! im just not sure if she'll sell out they way she did with bnn. but i guess also artists are bringing out songs that are quite different from mainstream rock/rap that dominates the radios nowadays..like christina also is releasing some blues-influenced album apparently? which is also pretty different from typical pop. so you never know!

MeganJane

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
    • My music on myspace!
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2006, 05:54:03 am »
...as the current pool of pop songs changes, so should the meaning of "typical"...

Well, should. But I still tend to think of "typical pop" as Britney etc. who is not even in the charts anymore
-CONFUCIUS