Author Topic: Conan Angers Canada  (Read 2631 times)

Blake

• **BANNED**
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
    • View Profile
    • http://www.LinkinPark.com
Conan Angers Canada
« on: February 14, 2004, 05:39:22 pm »
Debate. My opinion, they'll laugh at jokes about gays, Michael Jackson, Americans, California Governor Elections, but when the jokes on them, it's not funny.

AOL:

OTTAWA (Feb. 14) - Canada's government on Friday condemned a show by U.S. late-night television host Conan O'Brien that insulted people in French-speaking Quebec and seemed to suggest everyone in the province was homosexual.

Ottawa and the province of Ontario paid $760,000 to help O'Brien -- who appears on the NBC television network -- bring his show to Toronto for a week to boost the city's profile after a deadly SARS outbreak last year.

But the federal government said O'Brien had gone too far with the show broadcast on Thursday in which he went to Quebec, a province which has had separatist governments for much of the last 20 years and is a delicate political topic in Canada.

"We want to disassociate ourselves from the comments which were broadcast last night because we do not support them in any way," junior government minister Mauril Belanger told Parliament.

At one point in the show, Triumph the Insult Comic Dog -- a hand puppet that is a regular on the show -- said to a Quebecer: "You're French, you're obnoxious and you no speekay English." It told another: "I can smell your crotch from here".

O'Brien's team were also shown replacing street signs in the province with those that read "Quebecqueer Street" and "Rue des Pussies".

Alexa McDonough, a legislator for the left-leaning New Democrats, described the program as "racist filth" and "utterly vile" and demanded the government seek the return of the C$1 million subsidy.

"There may be those who would say, 'Isn't this interfering with freedom of expression?' It's not interfering to say we will not publicly fund this kind of vile, vicious hatemongering," McDonough told reporters.

Belanger did not commit to asking for the money back.

Peter Soumalias, a Toronto businessman who helped bring the show to the city, said the sketch was just a joke and called the furor a "tempest in a teapot."

"Quebec is the home of some great comics and comedians," he said. "They understand comedy."

No one at NBC was available for comment.

The complaints over the puppet's comments come on the heels of a similar uproar following criticism of European French-Canadian hockey players on CBC television by the country's best-known sports commentator, Don Cherry.

The "Late Night" show, which taped in Toronto all this week and featured guests such as Jim Carrey and Mike Myers, was broadcast in Canada by CHUM television, which said it regretted any offense that may have been caused.

"We offer our apology and assurance that it is never our intention to air programming that offends any of our viewers," the station said in a statement.

Triumph the Insult Comic Dog has landed in trouble before, most famously when it had an altercation with rap singer Eminem at a music awards show in 2002.

Toronto Mayor David Miller, right, presents late night talk show host Conan O'Brien with a key to the city.

Sig & Av By LJ User: Shinodaguitar

Jophess

• View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Email
Conan Angers Canada
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2004, 07:10:34 pm »
That is just dumb. I am sorry, but Conan is all about stuff like that. I saw that episode. It was histerical!  Damn Canadians can't take a friggin joke.
Joe

badsrx7

• Fine as dandelions
    • View Profile
Conan Angers Canada
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2004, 04:27:10 pm »
Ridiculous.

divasteph

• VCUBs
  • Martha Stewart!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - stephlava2
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/stephaniepressman
Conan Angers Canada
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2004, 05:24:23 pm »
ryan's brother went to the taping with Michael J Fox and met both conan and michael ---- i saw pretty much all the episodes including that one with triumph and i thought his comedy was exactly the same as always - they should expect it and not complain - quebec is an awesome place but the sketch was hella funny!
xoxo

Blake

• **BANNED**
    • View Profile
Conan Angers Canada
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2004, 06:51:40 pm »
Quote from: "divasteph"
ryan's brother went to the taping with Michael J Fox and met both conan and michael ---- i saw pretty much all the episodes including that one with triumph and i thought his comedy was exactly the same as always - they should expect it and not complain - quebec is an awesome place but the sketch was hella funny!
xoxo

I know it didn't seem like anything different to me either! And even when they had Triumph on the AI Hawaii auditions he had one guy, and then as he sang, the "gay scale" or something like that rose, and the same guy even came in studio and sang again!

I hope Conan makes fun of them when he comes back to regular taping..

jjthefourth

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • ICQ Messenger - 50609941
    • MSN Messenger - jjthefourth
    • AOL Instant Messenger - ConcordSix
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - jjthefourth
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jjthefourth.com/
    • Email
Conan
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2004, 04:11:41 am »
Quote from: "Maverick"
I hope Conan makes fun of them when he comes back to regular taping..

I agree.  And I think he will.  :D

Blake

• **BANNED**
    • View Profile
Conan Angers Canada
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2004, 04:00:01 pm »
What would I do without AOL:

Ultimately, the criticism seemed too big to ignore, so late-night talk show host Conan O'Brien did what he knows best: He issued an apology -- in the form of a joke.

On Tuesday's show the comedian read a statement intended to quell some of the controversy sparked during a skit by Triumph the Insult Comic Dog taped last week in Toronto. The clip featured the trash-talking puppet in Quebec poking fun at French-Canadians citizens, which some Canadian officials decried as racist.

During Tuesday's show, O'Brien read from a statement that was then delivered in French with English subtitles, for the benefit of the French-speaking residents of Quebec. O'Brien began: "People of Quebec, I'm sorry." As the line was recited in French, the subtitles read: "People of Quebec, I'm an albino jackass."

Other self-deprecating apologetic statements from O'Brien, such as "We meant no harm with our comedy piece the other night," were delivered in French as "The other night, I wet the bed like a little girl."

The dustup began Thursday following a skit in which Triumph hurled insults at citizens of Quebec during a visit to the city. The puppet suggested French-speaking Quebecers "learn to speak English," among other things.

The issue of Quebec sovereignty and the rights of its French-speaking population is a sensitive subject among Canadians, and the skit drew increasing criticism from politicians who suggested that the government seek reimbursement for the $1 million Canadian ($760,000) subsidy it spent to bring the NBC show to Toronto.

Conan O'Brien's "Late Night" was supposed to help boost Toronto's suffering tourism economy after last year's SARS outbreak.