Author Topic: homecoming  (Read 4114 times)

PIBby

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • MSN Messenger - ckdurbin@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - IWanted19ButGot2
    • View Profile
    • http://hometown.aol.com/sanchezhouse/
    • Email
homecoming
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2003, 02:20:00 pm »
You look so pretty! I still have another year before I'm capable of going to dances. We have mixers, but they're . . . Noblynamin. They're always boring and they never go passed 10:30.

You all look gorgeous!

JazzyManda

• AOL Instant Messenger - JazzyTrumpet07
    • View Profile
homecoming
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2003, 05:10:06 pm »
Quote from: "PIBby"
You look so pretty! I still have another year before I'm capable of going to dances. We have mixers, but they're . . . Noblynamin. They're always boring and they never go passed 10:30.

You all look gorgeous!

thank ya. and yeah, dances are waaaay better than mixers, believe me. *thinks of past mixers*
ahhh, bad images!

i really hated those things...
but anyways...
our homecoming only went till 11. so it was ok, but i think it should have gone on longer.

Amanda

LimeTwister

homecoming
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2003, 05:12:31 pm »
what is a mixer?

and i prefer 10:30 rather then 12:30...I get tired.

JazzyManda

• AOL Instant Messenger - JazzyTrumpet07
    • View Profile
homecoming
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2003, 05:19:54 pm »
Quote from: "LimeTwister"
what is a mixer?

and prefer 10:30 rather then 12:30...I get tired.

a mixer is like a dance for junior high students i guess you'd say. ours is held in a local church's gym. and some of the kids aren't really grown up so they act kind of imature, so i never really liked them...

but yeah, there's a live dj, and it gets super crowded, and it's really like packing a bunch of teens in a gym and calling it a dance basically. lol. i hated it, some people like them, but i never liked ours...

Amanda

rosieposy87

• VCUBs
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Prat Twin #2
    • MSN Messenger - rosie_posy87@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - rosieposy87
    • View Profile
homecoming
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2003, 07:51:40 am »
Quote from: "Grakthis"
Quote from: "rosieposy87"
5-11= Primary School
11-16=Secondary School
16-18= Sixth form college
18- whenever= University

Most counties have sixth form added onto secondary school but in the county i live in there are no state secondary schools with sixth forms, so everyone goes to sixth form colleges. And no-one calls university college here.

Woah!

So how old are you when you start school?  We start grade school (1 -8) around age 6-7 and finish college around 21 or 22.  After 16 years of education most people here are done unless they go on to graduate level education.

Do most people over there finish after "secondary school"?  What is caimbridge called? A university?
---Andrew

Errm you are actually 4 when you start school, however i entered at 5- because that was before the law had been changed.  

It is hard to tell whether most people finish school after secondary school. Secondary school certainly is the end of compulsory education- however, nearly everyone i know and am aware of goes at least onto sixth form college to complete A-levels (the exams needed to go to uni) and then onto university.

You certainly won't get very far with GCSEs (the exams i just completed, when you leave secondary school- the ones needed to advance to sixth form)- unless you want to be a shop assistant, work in a supermarket etc- or to have a vocational job you need an apprentiship or something of the sort. But the truth is you won't get very far without completing sixth form college, even if you don't want to go to university.

However, i do live in a very middle/upper class area of England and indeed the county i live in. In the north i'm sure a lot of people would finish at 16- maybe that is a bit stereotypical though.

Cambridge is a university, as is Oxford- and what you call 'college'.
"I'm all about the wordplay."

PIBby

• MSN Messenger - ckdurbin@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - IWanted19ButGot2
    • View Profile
    • http://hometown.aol.com/sanchezhouse/
    • Email
homecoming
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2003, 12:16:31 pm »
A MIXER IS . . .

Well, for starters it's called a mixer 'cause anyone in (for us) 7, 8, or 9 grade from any school can come. So all different people from different schools mix. MIX!

And yeah, there's a DJ, etc. Kind of like a casual danceee. Kind of. Except not as organized. But, yeah . . .

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Lord Andrew
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Grakthis
    • View Profile
    • http://www.grakthis.com
homecoming
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2003, 12:51:37 pm »
Errm you are actually 4 when you start school, however i entered at 5- because that was before the law had been changed.  

It is hard to tell whether most people finish school after secondary school. Secondary school certainly is the end of compulsory education- however, nearly everyone i know and am aware of goes at least onto sixth form college to complete A-levels (the exams needed to go to uni) and then onto university.

You certainly won't get very far with GCSEs (the exams i just completed, when you leave secondary school- the ones needed to advance to sixth form)- unless you want to be a shop assistant, work in a supermarket etc- or to have a vocational job you need an apprentiship or something of the sort. But the truth is you won't get very far without completing sixth form college, even if you don't want to go to university.

However, i do live in a very middle/upper class area of England and indeed the county i live in. In the north i'm sure a lot of people would finish at 16- maybe that is a bit stereotypical though.

Cambridge is a university, as is Oxford- and what you call 'college'.

Ok.  It makes sense now.  You guys just formalize what we call preschool and kindergarden.

i thought maybe you started around the same time as us but were in school a lot longer.
---Andrew
If you are reading this, you are probably on my ignore list.  Click here to return the favor

Wagella Wrote:Yay for Bigotry!!

---Andrew

jlmusicchick

• View Profile
homecoming
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2003, 04:55:40 pm »
Oooh you're so pretty!I'm so in love with your hair! Now i'm a college (kinda the same as the last 2 years of high school for you), there are quite a few balls- but only the christmas and summer ones are formal. The others are more jeans and a cute top affairs. lol

those are the kinds of dances we have too. no one dresses up fancy except for 'The Snowball' 'The Spring Fling' and Prom. Except that now the dances are lame, so i don't go. But when i was a freshman, oh man, those dances were the coolest.

Holly

• VCUBs
  • Speeding into the horizon
  • Twin Stars
    • View Profile
homecoming
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2003, 07:41:30 pm »
A MIXER IS . . .

Well, for starters it's called a mixer 'cause anyone in (for us) 7, 8, or 9 grade from any school can come. So all different people from different schools mix. MIX!

And yeah, there's a DJ, etc. Kind of like a casual danceee. Kind of. Except not as organized. But, yeah . . .

my school had a mixer too... in 9th grade. we're an all girl school and we mixed with an all boy school, lol. it didnt go too well... kinda sucked.
"i'm willing to do anything
to calm the storm in my heart
i've never been the praying kind
but lately i've been down upon my knees
not looking for a miracle
just a reason to believe"

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Lord Andrew
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Grakthis
    • View Profile
    • http://www.grakthis.com
homecoming
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2003, 06:09:43 am »
Quote from: "kiisnsync"
A MIXER IS . . .

my school had a mixer too... in 9th grade. we're an all girl school and we mixed with an all boy school, lol. it didnt go too well... kinda sucked.

I went to a catholic school in KY so I fondly remember mixers.  They really were silly because 90% of the time the boys ended up on one side and the girls on the other and everyon stayed in their same cliques that they were in all day at school.

If you were "going steady" with a girl then you had to pay attention to her for a WHILE, but then you went right back to your buddies

hu.  Sounds like like being married  :wink:
---Andrew
If you are reading this, you are probably on my ignore list.  Click here to return the favor

Wagella Wrote:Yay for Bigotry!!

---Andrew