Author Topic: where to work???  (Read 6644 times)

JazzyManda

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • AOL Instant Messenger - JazzyTrumpet07
    • View Profile
where to work???
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2005, 12:17:34 pm »
Well, I don't know about other people, but the reason I'm picky is because I can afford to be. I'm almost 16, and I really don't have to work.  My parents aren't making me pay for college (or a huge chunk of it anyways), I don't have to buy my own car..etc.  My parents are going to start making me pay for things only if I actually start making money.

And I also think, given my circumstances, that if I'm going to work, I should get a job I'll be happy doing because I really don't need to be doing it. So if I'm going to spend time during my summer making my own money, then I want to be spending my time at a place I want to work , not just any place I can find.  I'm not desperate, so there for I'm going being picky. Now college...that's when I can't afford to be picky. But, seeing that I have 2 years, I'm going to spend my time wisely: either working where I'd like to(if given the option) or spending my summer doing something else productive (music camps, more improv lessons..etc).

Amanda

fallenangel1302

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • AOL Instant Messenger - StarryEyeDevil
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/starryeyedcatastrophe
where to work???
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2005, 04:05:31 pm »
Quote from: "tricia"

A job is a job.  I think it's hilarious that people get all picky about it.  While you're still in school and have little or no job experience, you're lucky to find anywhere that will pay you money to show up.  

:lol: very true, it's not like i'm trying to be picky and bitchy about finding a 'perfect'  place to work, i just wanna find somewhere people have had fun working before.... :oops:

Manda

• Speeding into the horizon
    • View Profile
where to work???
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2005, 05:40:25 pm »
I've been working at Dairy Queen/Orange Julius at the Mall since Sept '04

And its pretty awesome. I enjoy it, well my bosses are cool/nice/fun and I get free stuff and since we give other places free stuff they give me major discounts or free stuff as well.

:razz:

You know that Dirrty feeling when you wake up with no pants on face down on the floor of the city bus and you got like a condom in your ear? Thats the feeling we are trying to create! - Sarah Michelle Gellar

tricia

• Moderators
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Trust me, I'm a doctor.
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
where to work???
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2005, 08:44:58 pm »
Quote from: "JazzyManda"
Well, I don't know about other people, but the reason I'm picky is because I can afford to be. I'm almost 16, and I really don't have to work.  My parents aren't making me pay for college (or a huge chunk of it anyways), I don't have to buy my own car..etc.  My parents are going to start making me pay for things only if I actually start making money.

Must be nice.

o_O
I think you underestimate the level of my sneakiness

jlmusicchick

• View Profile
where to work???
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2005, 06:19:08 am »

Must be nice.

o_O

my thought exactly.

i hope you realize how lucky you are amanda, most of us don't have those luxuries! i'm doing everything i can to get out of working in dining services on campus because it bloooowwws, but at the end of the day a job's and job and i'll take whatever they can give me. i'm not trying to make you sound like a spoiled brat because i know that you're not, i just hope that you fully appreciate the fact that you don't have to worry about money. because once you do, that's all you'll be able to worry about and it sucks.

Laura

• View Profile
where to work???
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2005, 01:57:47 pm »

I'm in the same boat as you. Except I'm in my first year of college now.

It is nice, but I am gonna transfer after next year & even then I probably don't have to work right away, but I think everyone needs some experience especially while their in college or even high school.

Tho I definitely wouldn't wanna work at the mall, haha one place I'm trying to avoid.

And Manda, I was always wondering how it is working at an icecream place. I think my cousin works at an icecream place or something. Is it easy to catch on to everything? Cuz I had the hardest time at the smoothie place, lol.

JazzyManda

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • AOL Instant Messenger - JazzyTrumpet07
    • View Profile
where to work???
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2005, 02:47:29 pm »
Quote from: "jlmusicchick"

Must be nice.

o_O

my thought exactly.

i hope you realize how lucky you are amanda, most of us don't have those luxuries! i'm doing everything i can to get out of working in dining services on campus because it bloooowwws, but at the end of the day a job's and job and i'll take whatever they can give me. i'm not trying to make you sound like a spoiled brat because i know that you're not, i just hope that you fully appreciate the fact that you don't have to worry about money. because once you do, that's all you'll be able to worry about and it sucks.

Oh believe me I know how lucky I am, especialy on the issue of paying for college.  I have a lot of friends that have to pay their way. It's a huge deal and I'm really lucky that my parents are being so gracious.

I know they're going to make me help out with paying for college, and car insurance, and things like that once i get a job, but it won't have to be the whole thing. There's a lot of things though that i do have to pay for... movies, clothes, school supplies, lunch, music... etc.  My parents have never been like "hey, lets go spring shopping for you" or "oh you're going to the mall? here's 20 dollars".  They never spend money on things I just want. I don't need new clothes every year, or new shoes, or go to the movies..etc.  They're very strict on things I want, and things I need.  Anything I want I have to provide for myself. I get my mom's old car because she's getting a new one, I don't pay for car insurance because I don't make money, and I'm not being expected to pay for college because my parents are doing me that favor.. provided I get scholarships and such.  

So yeah, i know i'm really lucky that i don't have to pay for these huge things, but I do have to pay for any thing i just want, which happens to be a lot. If that makes sense...

Amanda

jlmusicchick

• View Profile
where to work???
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2005, 04:26:35 pm »
Quote from: "jlmusicchick"

Must be nice.

o_O

my thought exactly.

Oh believe me I know how lucky I am, especialy on the issue of paying for college.  I have a lot of friends that have to pay their way. It's a huge deal and I'm really lucky that my parents are being so gracious.

I know they're going to make me help out with paying for college, and car insurance, and things like that once i get a job, but it won't have to be the whole thing. There's a lot of things though that i do have to pay for... movies, clothes, school supplies, lunch, music... etc.  My parents have never been like "hey, lets go spring shopping for you" or "oh you're going to the mall? here's 20 dollars".  They never spend money on things I just want. I don't need new clothes every year, or new shoes, or go to the movies..etc.  They're very strict on things I want, and things I need.  Anything I want I have to provide for myself. I get my mom's old car because she's getting a new one, I don't pay for car insurance because I don't make money, and I'm not being expected to pay for college because my parents are doing me that favor.. provided I get scholarships and such.  

So yeah, i know i'm really lucky that i don't have to pay for these huge things, but I do have to pay for any thing i just want, which happens to be a lot. If that makes sense...

Amanda

lol no it makes sense. again i didn't try to make you sound spoiled because you're not. i just hate seeing people, especially people at my college, take the fact that they don't have to worry about money for granted.

Manda

• View Profile
where to work???
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2005, 09:51:52 pm »
heyyyy, I like working at the mall!
I work on the 3rd floor and my man works on the 1st floor at Pac Sun
 8)

You know that Dirrty feeling when you wake up with no pants on face down on the floor of the city bus and you got like a condom in your ear? Thats the feeling we are trying to create! - Sarah Michelle Gellar

NESSAussie

• Fine as dandelions
    • MSN Messenger - nessaussie@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mybiopro.com/AU/?ID=harmonium
where to work???
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2005, 06:45:38 pm »
I used to work at a Gelati place as a driver for drive-by delivery :wink: The 12.5%
commission never seemed to go far but it was a fun experience for 6 months!

TurnOnTheStars

• Make me high on lullabies
    • AOL Instant Messenger - xTurnOnTheStarsX
    • View Profile
where to work???
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2005, 07:55:24 pm »
cvs <3

Manda

• View Profile
where to work???
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2005, 08:56:02 pm »
actually it wasn't hard to catch on with the ice cream.

I work with ice cream and smoothies :)

It gets really busy, and I have good/nice customers and I also get a lot of ass wipes...but I just give them less ice cream or make it crappy...or if its a drink I just put less or give them one that isn't that fresh. They can't tell.  8)

But its fun! I love it.