Author Topic: 7/19/2007: Bowery Ballroom - New York, NY (review)  (Read 21887 times)

whitehouses81680

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
7/19/2007: Bowery Ballroom - New York, NY (review)
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2007, 01:04:11 pm »
I must say, I had the best seat in the house: right on top of the lighting boxes right next to the stage. haha

I was disappointed with her tonight. Irv is such a goone. "V is the fucking shit!" ? That didn't start the night off on a good note for me.

I was at first worried for Vanessa when she signed with him, but it seems like all of this new record label has gotten to her head. She's a preformer. She should be used to fans taking pictures of her. Actually, she should be LUCKY fans want to take pictures of her now seeing that she was off the radar for the past three years.

Between her bragging about filling MSG years ago and name dropping Z100 radio personnel, Vanessa didn't impress.

Her entrances and exits were weak. It seemed as if she ran off and onto the stage, playing only a handful of songs we have all heard a thousand times. And the songs that were new, like Fools Like Me, lacked any finesse whatsoever.

She had a very sarcastic personality tonight as she backed out of playing White Houses a second time. "I wasn't thinking it, I just heard someone in the crowd say it." What?

I am sad to say that I lost respect for Vanessa. She signs with sell out Irv Gotti and then she acted like a diva, keeping fans waiting for hours for her and then playing a 40 minute show. She has to realize that she's no Madonna.

majakilmon

• You're a Genuine Wannabe
    • AOL Instant Messenger - majakilmon
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/killmonm
    • Email
Bowery Ballroom
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2007, 01:18:07 pm »
THANKS FOR COMING! HOW AMAZING WAS THAT SHOW!!!!

You guys are THE BEST!
XOXOXOXO

Mike
Express Yourself, DOn't Repress Yourself

Unicorn

• Willing and Able to... Run
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2007, 05:19:39 pm »
Oh, man. That was you, Kulpdogg?! I stood to your left the entire night, hahaha.

Last night's show was pretty awesome. Kulpdogg pretty much covered everything. Vanessa wowed and entertained us. My only complaint was that she didn't perform for more than an hour. I really thought she was going to do a full set. She better do a full set when she tours properly later this year. And please bring a band with you next time. Last night was the 5th or 6th time (I've lost count) I've seen her and I've only seen her once perform with a band before (Irving Plaza show during the BNN days). I want to hear how the songs from Harmonium sound like with a band live and of course, the new songs from H&T as well.

Irv was hilarious and endearing with his comments about Vanessa. I can never get over how enthusiastic he is whenever he talks about her. It's so refreshing.

Here is a picture of Vanessa when she was about to go inside the venue:

And a blurry picture of her after WTS (such a pretty dress!):

divasteph

• VCUBs
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Martha Stewart!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - stephlava2
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/stephaniepressman
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2007, 05:38:50 pm »
nice pics

Martin.

• Connected to a million stars and lights.
    • View Profile
    • Sworn Under An Oath To War
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2007, 05:39:54 pm »
She looks beautiful as ever in those. The first one is real cute.

Unicorn

• Willing and Able to... Run
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2007, 06:04:49 pm »
I was surprised to see her so much thinner than the last time I saw her live. When she came out of the car, I couldn't believe it was her because she looked so thin. I love how that first picture has garbage bags in the background, lol. Only in NY.

Manny

• I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2007, 07:03:47 pm »
I have never seen her in red until NOW!

IfICouldFall

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2007, 07:05:43 pm »
*sigh* she's so cute! I've never been to a V show before and would really love to go... to bad I don't live anywhere near a big city except for Boston, so I hope she does go on tour in New England.

BWilli

• Speeding into the horizon
    • MSN Messenger - bdubprod@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2007, 10:04:19 am »
sounds like y'all had a great time.   thanks for the review and the pics.

kulp...i dig the poster.  cool shit

kaysha

• Administrator
    • ICQ Messenger - 996740
    • AOL Instant Messenger - katiakaysha
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chickey.org
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2007, 03:17:48 pm »
Quote from: "whitehouses81680"
I must say, I had the best seat in the house: right on top of the lighting boxes right next to the stage. haha

I was disappointed with her tonight. Irv is such a goone. "V is the fucking shit!" ? That didn't start the night off on a good note for me.

I was at first worried for Vanessa when she signed with him, but it seems like all of this new record label has gotten to her head. She's a preformer. She should be used to fans taking pictures of her. Actually, she should be LUCKY fans want to take pictures of her now seeing that she was off the radar for the past three years.

Between her bragging about filling MSG years ago and name dropping Z100 radio personnel, Vanessa didn't impress.

Her entrances and exits were weak. It seemed as if she ran off and onto the stage, playing only a handful of songs we have all heard a thousand times. And the songs that were new, like Fools Like Me, lacked any finesse whatsoever.

She had a very sarcastic personality tonight as she backed out of playing White Houses a second time. "I wasn't thinking it, I just heard someone in the crowd say it." What?

I am sad to say that I lost respect for Vanessa. She signs with sell out Irv Gotti and then she acted like a diva, keeping fans waiting for hours for her and then playing a 40 minute show. She has to realize that she's no Madonna.

Hey Sam

I wasn't going to respond but i just couldn't refrain.  I wanted to just post some thoughts from possibly a different perspective.

- Irv is just trying to get people hyped up.  I personally really enjoy the fact that a label is so into VC even if it can be a bit offensive.

- I don't think V ever played MSG at least on one of her own tours and there is no way she could sell it out.. at least not yet.

- Getting Z100 to play the single is very important to overall promotion.  Perhaps she was name dropping because they were there and they will return the favor by playing her single and name dropping V when they're on the radio.

- I agree that the set list should have been longer.. I know she has many more songs that she could have performed.

I don't think there is much she can do with an elaborate entrance like she used to when she had the band lol... she just walks out to play the piano :)

It's interesting... what us fans would like to see and hear is very different than the average population and in the end, they need to make V hugely popular.  From what i've seen so far, they're working very hard on that.

I'm not challenging, or attacking.  Just throwing some ideas out there eluding to the fact that some of this might be intentional.
-katia
I <3 Nicole

We want the unicorns to live! - Vanessa Carlton

PianoPlayer12

• Fine as dandelions
    • MSN Messenger - anthony_the_great_g6@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Mattia1045
    • View Profile
    • Nessfan12
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2007, 04:46:47 pm »
Quote from: "kaysha"

Hey Sam

I wasn't going to respond but i just couldn't refrain.  I wanted to just post some thoughts from possibly a different perspective.

- Irv is just trying to get people hyped up.  I personally really enjoy the fact that a label is so into VC even if it can be a bit offensive.

- I don't think V ever played MSG at least on one of her own tours and there is no way she could sell it out.. at least not yet.

- Getting Z100 to play the single is very important to overall promotion.  Perhaps she was name dropping because they were there and they will return the favor by playing her single and name dropping V when they're on the radio.

- I agree that the set list should have been longer.. I know she has many more songs that she could have performed.

I don't think there is much she can do with an elaborate entrance like she used to when she had the band lol... she just walks out to play the piano :)

It's interesting... what us fans would like to see and hear is very different than the average population and in the end, they need to make V hugely popular.  From what i've seen so far, they're working very hard on that.

I'm not challenging, or attacking.  Just throwing some ideas out there eluding to the fact that some of this might be intentional.
-katia

I agree with you completely Katia...i just didnt want to post a response to her post, cuz i thought it would start something....

i just have one question....
whats MSG??

Lets Make This Our Story. Lets Live In The Glory. Time It Fades Away Precious As A Song. Cause Someday We'll Be Gone
www.freewebs.com/nessfan12<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

kaysha

• Administrator
    • ICQ Messenger - 996740
    • AOL Instant Messenger - katiakaysha
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chickey.org
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2007, 05:12:56 pm »
Quote from: "PianoPlayer12"
whats MSG??
Madison Square Garden

It is kinda known as "the place" for an artist to perform once they've reached a certain level.  The venue is huge and it's in NYC

-katia
I <3 Nicole

We want the unicorns to live! - Vanessa Carlton

itsthefiveofus

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2007, 06:51:28 pm »
whats MSG??
Madison Square Garden

It is kinda known as "the place" for an artist to perform once they've reached a certain level.  The venue is huge and it's in NYC

-katia

I was about to say...that stuff in chinese food?!!?!?1 or thats not suppoesd to be there anywho...

Current takes me out, what will be, will be. Floating on the sea, stars are watching me.

PianoPlayer12

• Fine as dandelions
    • MSN Messenger - anthony_the_great_g6@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Mattia1045
    • View Profile
    • Nessfan12
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2007, 07:29:59 pm »
Quote from: "itsthefiveofus"
whats MSG??
Madison Square Garden

-katia

I was about to say...that stuff in chinese food?!!?!?1 or thats not suppoesd to be there anywho...

hahahahahaha funnnii.. :)

Thanks Katia. ;)

Lets Make This Our Story. Lets Live In The Glory. Time It Fades Away Precious As A Song. Cause Someday We'll Be Gone
www.freewebs.com/nessfan12<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

ordinaryday6

• Your true colors shown
    • AOL Instant Messenger - ordinaryday6
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2007, 10:31:32 pm »
it sounds as though everyone at the show has different opinions about vanessa and her attitude, etc.. i wonder which i would hold.

i think i'm going to wait for the album (or the unlikely event that i see her live before then) to judge on any sell-out-ish behavior. *shrug*

She signs with sell out Irv Gotti and then she acted like a diva, keeping fans waiting for hours for her and then playing a 40 minute show. She has to realize that she's no Madonna.

i would however, like to respond to your last paragraph..

first of all, gotti is what he always was.. a music mogul. he's expanding his horizons, yes, into whatever genre you'd like to call vanessa -- piano/pop? pop? (but it seems more intelligent than that) -- but it seems that he's genuinely supportive of her and her music. i mean, it's pretty clear. i don't think that's a crime. i was shocked when vanessa signed with him too.. i laughed. but as of right now, i don't know whether it's going to be beneficial or detrimental, so i'm not going to make judgements.

and second of all, did the show start late or something? what do you mean she kept fans waiting hours? no one else has said anything (unless i'm much mistaken) about waiting? and if you stood in line for a long time or something, to get that best seat in the house, then i guess that's you're own fault, no? anyway. i'm not trying to start anything.. just trying to understand what you mean about keeping fans waiting...
Samuel
(he/him)