Author Topic: 10/25/2004: The Odeon - Cleveland, OH (review)  (Read 14910 times)

Vultch

• Moderators
  • Speeding into the horizon
  • Trading Yesterday
    • AOL Instant Messenger - BVulture
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theageof.info
    • Email
10/25/2004: The Odeon - Cleveland, OH (review)
« on: October 25, 2004, 12:48:04 pm »
[discussion]

from Katia:

very ghetto

B

• Captain Awesome
  • Moderators
  • Just looking for some affection
  • Transcending the Possimpible
    • View Profile
    • Nh.com Twitter Page!
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2004, 12:53:27 pm »
Damn, straight for real ghetto, LOL.

LMAO @ the bus being right in front of the venue, that's even more ghetto than Park West where it is on the side, lol.
For all you broken hearted lovers lost, go find another one. 'Cause you know time won't wait and you'll be late, white rabbits on the run...

ILoveHanson

• You aren't tryin'
    • AOL Instant Messenger - HansonGirl
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2004, 12:54:55 pm »
OMG *tear* that brings back memories of when i slept overnight outside those doors in the FREEZING COLD on 10/13/03.
for hanson of course :)
*Nicole*

I'm always on the move, my heart is always on the mend

www.twitter.com/hansongirl
www.last.fm/user/ILoveHanson

kaysha

• Administrator
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
    • ICQ Messenger - 996740
    • AOL Instant Messenger - katiakaysha
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chickey.org
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2004, 08:27:22 pm »
Tonight will go down in history as my most frustrating and enjoyable VC concert evar!  It was frustrating because of one member of the odeon staff and enjoyable because V (of course) was fantastic and on top of just performing superbly her interactions with fans were top notch!

First off, the setlist was:
Papa
San Francisco
Ordinary Day
Who's To Say
Swindler
Afterglow
White Houses
Half a week before the winter
C'est La Vie
Wanted
Rinse
She Floats
Annie
The Wreckage
A Thousand Miles

** Encore **

Twilight

So i got to meet 1vcfan and angelcorrine which was one of the highlights of the night.  Both are mad cool and hope to catch up with them again in the future... just not at The Odeon.

Vanessa seemed very tired however she still put on a hell of a show.  From what i gather they had driven all night to pull into Cleveland this morning.  I first saw her at the Q show (thanks Roy!) where she did a quick meet & greet with a picture + autographed headshot (will scan later).  Then she performed 3 songs (WH, Afterglow and ATM) and answered a few questions.  I um... asked about Morning Sting not making the CD :)  She said she really wanted to keep it to 10 tracks and it basically just didn't "fit."  

Rolled out of there and checked into a hotel... then took Grams down to where The Odeon is.  I *assumed* (you know what happens when you assume things?) that there would be something around the venue but that whole area is pretty desolate.  We grabbed some dinner next door at the ONLY restaurant around and then chilled in line... we ended up being the second peeps.  I got to chatting with quite a few people that got there early... we'll see if they pop their heads in here :)

They let us in, i went to the usual spot and grams took a seat by the wall.

Low Millions... they're growing on me as i'm familiar with the songs heh... they had some house sound issues of some sort but Adam made humor of the situation with a nice recovery.

FYE is there and... guess what?  They're selling copies of Harmonium for $15 plus an opportunity to meet Vanessa and get the CD COVER SIGNED!  (Yes, I am in possession of a Harmonium CD cover).  So she holla's to nessaholics in the CD!  How cool is that?  I <3 V so much... that is like a personal shout out to all fans -- mad cool!

V takes stage and all is well of course... for a while.  She begins doing didley's between songs, playing a bit of chopin and trying to figure out if she can write a song in front of people... i think :)  She called afterglow one of her favs (and not her fav) this time tho.  Now the issue with this show is... LIGHTING ISSUES!  So they had these STUPID ASS lights that were blue/orange/red whatever and they would have one of them lit on the back of the stage facing the crowd at random times... so if you took a picture V either looked red, or blue, or whatever and half the time she was glowing.  It majorly sucked ass... and it was somewhat hazy.  Cameras with leaving their shutters open the way they do, we're talking like 1/4th of pictures *may* come out.  Half the people are using flash and getting told not to one by one by staff because no one could have posted a sign or made an announcement on the way in.  Of course that was annoying me cuz i felt bad for V getting flashed from all over the place.  So here is my issue (since everyone was asking and wondering...)
Over halfway through the show I was getting frustrated about this lighting issue and the fact that no pictures were coming through so i set my camera to take a movie (which allows the camera time to focus for a bit) and ultimately you get a decent shot.  My camera takes mpegs at 640x480 which is what i post all pics at anyway even if i take them at higher resolution.  So I figured i would load the mpeg into a video editor and just pull out a couple decent shots and be done with it.  Well, during this small process this staff member at Odeon takes my camera.  So already I'm pissed because all the people using flash didn't have their cameras taken and I wasn't about to start a mess in the middle of the show so he says I can get it after the show at the box office.  So after the show I go back to the box office and ask for my camera.  They'll only give it to me if i'm leaving... well I had to get this FYE thing signed.  So I go back and forth with this guy that had taken it in the first place and he is just incredibly unpleasant on many levels.  Finally i decide screw the autograph and i'll just grab my camera.  I get my camera and head out to leave the venue and my memory stick is gone!  (How NICE of them to tell me this).  So I go back inside and ask the gentleman that had given it to me and he radios someone else who responds with "It's property of the tour."  I tell them i'm not leaving without it and ultimately we're not making any progress.  Finally I ask "By property of the tour do you mean Mark?" .. he says Yes.  So I begin to go up to talk to Mark and he yells at me to go stand in this specific spot and wait.  There was some continued bickering, glaring and in the end I talked to Mark once he was done with everything and he gave it to me without any issues... of course, mad props to Mark.  I think he is a neat guy -- not only does he make Vanessa sound great but he's a hard ass when he needs to be and a sweetie at other times.

So here is another awesome part about Vanessa.... She comes to the venue and signs for people on the way in to soundcheck... she does this HUGE ASS LINE for FYE at the end of the night... then she comes out to do pictures and autographs for a few people that had stayed even later!  Everyone was taken care of, no one was left out.

So i despise this individual at Odeon... i have even more respect for Mark if possible... and V is as good as always.

-katia

p.s. Fuck this one guy at Odeon (just had to get that out).  The other staff peeps seemed mad cool.

p.s.2. I bought some little Jeremiah stickers... teehee

EDIT:
p.s.3. peeping the pictures... tons of them came out as shit (by my standards) with V looking like she is possessed.
I <3 Nicole

We want the unicorns to live! - Vanessa Carlton

B

• Captain Awesome
  • Moderators
    • View Profile
    • Nh.com Twitter Page!
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2004, 08:39:39 pm »
That is some BS. Kind of how at Park West 2343635 people are taking multiple pics with flash (including the chick behind you with the telezoom lens), I take 1 with a disposable and they yell at me.  :roll:

I can't believe they tried to straight jack your memory stick. That's not cool. Sounds like a good show, though. Can't wait to see pix.  :D
For all you broken hearted lovers lost, go find another one. 'Cause you know time won't wait and you'll be late, white rabbits on the run...

loveplasticlove

• Moderators
  • You never thought it'd hurt so bad
  • more rides than great adventure
    • AOL Instant Messenger - loveplasticlove
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2004, 08:39:50 pm »
what a butthead! You're next show will be better because I'll be there with you ;) mwahha
"I'm not a slave to a god that doesn't exist."  -Marilyn Manson
SuperScientific: I have a eggroll to shove in your rice patty lol

kaysha

• Administrator
    • ICQ Messenger - 996740
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2004, 08:45:23 pm »
I would just like to add... what kind of nut would try to get decent audio recording on a camera with those conditions?  peeps singing everywhere, some dude taking professional pics in front of me (*click* *click* *click*) and it was hella loud... um distortion?  that one Odeon dude was just unreasonable.  Thanks for your comments and sympathy :-P
I <3 Nicole

loveplasticlove

• Moderators
  • You never thought it'd hurt so bad
  • more rides than great adventure
    • AOL Instant Messenger - loveplasticlove
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2004, 08:47:57 pm »
Quote from: "katia"
I would just like to add... what kind of nut would try to get decent audio recording on a camera with those conditions?  peeps singing everywhere, some dude taking professional pics in front of me (*click* *click* *click*) and it was hella loud... um distortion?  that one Odeon dude was just unreasonable.  Thanks for your comments and sympathy :-P

awwwwww poor kat

/extra sympathy
"I'm not a slave to a god that doesn't exist."  -Marilyn Manson
SuperScientific: I have a eggroll to shove in your rice patty lol

eclv

• Moderators
  • Let aka NESSAholic
    • MSN Messenger - Let+B24@aol.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Let+B24
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2004, 08:48:43 pm »
Wow, is that why? Cause you were taking an mpeg?

Yeah, he should have told you he jacked your memory stick. They need to specify no cameras or no records of any kind or something. West Park didn't have any camera info and that happened to Brian.

Was it seated too?

B

• Captain Awesome
  • Moderators
    • View Profile
    • Nh.com Twitter Page!
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2004, 08:50:20 pm »
They really need to be more clear with camera rules... and even so, if they are gonna be anal they need to go around and take everyone's camera, or do what the rave does here and pat you down and straight beeper wand you before you go in.

That is BS about the memory stick, too. Hardly anyone would think to check if their memory stick was still there.  :evil:

kaysha

• Administrator
    • ICQ Messenger - 996740
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2004, 08:52:06 pm »
Well he walked me out to a sign that was posted where no one would think to look and showed "no recording devices" but it also was like "no cameras" and that was obviously not the case.  I guess through osmosis i'm supposed to know which rules apply per day... what about the bands that condone recording devices?  What if V was one of them? (counting crows..) and that isn't even the point because i didn't want a recording anyway because i didn't have anything for recording)(*@U#

btw, some other questions have come up that i kept forgetting to add :)

Grams totally dug the show, she likes teh VC very much...awww :)

She also got the liner notes signed for me while i was waiting for Mark.  She took it back to VC herself lol and said "It is for my grandaughter, katia" so V made it out to me and asked if she had liked the show etc.

hahaa

-katia
I <3 Nicole

Dancernl

• Fine as dandelions
    • AOL Instant Messenger - balletstar86
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/dancernl/Menu9.html
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2004, 08:54:50 pm »
wow, Katia, thanks for sharing all that!  I hate camera rules, sorry that happened to you.  Are the copies of Harmonium the enhanced CD's?  If so have you watched it?
It is a crime to kill a neighbor, and an act of heroism to kill an enemy.  But who is an enemy and who is a neighbor is purely a matter of social definition.  - E.R. Leach

eclv

• Moderators
  • Let aka NESSAholic
    • MSN Messenger - Let+B24@aol.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Let+B24
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2004, 08:55:29 pm »
awe, that was nice of Grams.

kaysha

• Administrator
    • ICQ Messenger - 996740
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2004, 08:56:19 pm »
Quote from: "Dancernl"
wow, Katia, thanks for sharing all that!  I hate camera rules, sorry that happened to you.  Are the copies of Harmonium the enhanced CD's?  If so have you watched it?
Just the liner, not the CD.  I have to go to a FYE on the 9th to get the CD.

I would also like to add that this makes 4 or 5 copies of the CD that i have pre-ordered through various sources   :twisted:
I <3 Nicole

Dancernl

• Fine as dandelions
    • AOL Instant Messenger - balletstar86
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/dancernl/Menu9.html
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2004, 08:57:24 pm »
Quote from: "katia"
Quote from: "Dancernl"
Just the liner, not the CD.  I have to go to a FYE on the 9th to get the CD.

I would also like to add that this makes 4 or 5 copies of the CD that i have pre-ordered through various sources   :twisted:

oooo, ok, thanks for clarifying!
It is a crime to kill a neighbor, and an act of heroism to kill an enemy.  But who is an enemy and who is a neighbor is purely a matter of social definition.  - E.R. Leach