Author Topic: V's Most Underrated Songs  (Read 13743 times)

sarab

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
  • Wolves howl to a moon and she never answers back
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: V's Most Underrated Songs
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2011, 11:49:26 pm »
One song I don't see mentioned too much is Pretty Baby. Really love the demo version and live versions. I know the lyrics are quite innocent but thats part of its charm and she was quite young when she wrote it.

Definitely one of my favorite melodies, beautiful.

oh, I don't think Pretty Baby is innocent at all!  To me, it's  not a love song, it's an obsession song.  I have written about this elsewhere so I won't go in to it here.  I'm not a fan of the "radio version" it was fine the way it was!

hey good point, suppose the lyrics can certainly be interpreted that way, I mentioned this in my introduction, but that song was so written about me and this girl I knew coincidently around the time the song was released.

The production on Be Not Nobody album was very good but I agree with you regarding the radio version/UK album version, was so happy to find the demo version in a rare online music shop. I must do a search on the site for your post on it, would be interested to read your interpretation of it.

I do recall that.  I don't recall WHERE I posted my thing, but I will look as well and let you know if I find it!  The song can certainly be taken both ways. However, when she did a show in Rochester, NY 2002 she said something to the effect of everyone thinking it's a love song, but it's not (and I remember thinking, I KNEW THAT!)  Then the video shows her tying up the guy..

well I thought I did but the only thing I could find is in "meanings and notions behind the songs" under lyrics/sheet music section but I only mention it briefly..hmm
~Sara~

OPENROAD

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2011, 12:04:10 am »
One song I don't see mentioned too much is Pretty Baby. Really love the demo version and live versions. I know the lyrics are quite innocent but thats part of its charm and she was quite young when she wrote it.

Definitely one of my favorite melodies, beautiful.

oh, I don't think Pretty Baby is innocent at all!  To me, it's  not a love song, it's an obsession song.  I have written about this elsewhere so I won't go in to it here.  I'm not a fan of the "radio version" it was fine the way it was!

hey good point, suppose the lyrics can certainly be interpreted that way, I mentioned this in my introduction, but that song was so written about me and this girl I knew coincidently around the time the song was released.

The production on Be Not Nobody album was very good but I agree with you regarding the radio version/UK album version, was so happy to find the demo version in a rare online music shop. I must do a search on the site for your post on it, would be interested to read your interpretation of it.

I do recall that.  I don't recall WHERE I posted my thing, but I will look as well and let you know if I find it!  The song can certainly be taken both ways. However, when she did a show in Rochester, NY 2002 she said something to the effect of everyone thinking it's a love song, but it's not (and I remember thinking, I KNEW THAT!)  Then the video shows her tying up the guy..

well I thought I did but the only thing I could find is in "meanings and notions behind the songs" under lyrics/sheet music section but I only mention it briefly..hmm

Just found your post on it.

I always saw it as loving someone but them not feeling the same way, so taking that a step further can definitely see the obsession interpretation.
Never too late to change the pace
oh how the days creep up on you
but the goodness is something you don't have to chase
cause its following you

ryan9315

• Make me high on lullabies
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2011, 05:50:06 pm »
I know it's a bit early, but with the mastering of the album, I just can't help think about what songs will be considered underrated and overrated on the album. Don't even know why I am thinking about it because it's too early! Guess I'm just anticipating it too much.

Rabbits_on_the_run

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2011, 10:14:12 am »
Well let's say it's WAY too early, we don't even know which songs made the cut.

About V's most underrated songs, I think all her songs (well except ATM) are underrated. But let's talk about the last record. I believe "Spring Street" would have been an amazing (I don't know if succesful) but AMAZING single, it's beautiful, and is catchy since the first listen. You can call it repetitive, but most songs on the radio are.
On the other hand, I think that Unsung is pretty overrated...  never loved that one very much.

OPENROAD

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2011, 04:12:51 pm »
She Floats has a beautiful haunting melody, love the concept behind the song also.

As far as melodies go, nobody can beat Vanessa, one of the things I really love about her music.
Never too late to change the pace
oh how the days creep up on you
but the goodness is something you don't have to chase
cause its following you

AG.

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2011, 01:35:40 am »
I believe "Spring Street" would have been an amazing (I don't know if succesful) but AMAZING single, it's beautiful, and is catchy since the first listen. You can call it repetitive, but most songs on the radio are.

I adore Spring Street, i always imagined a really beautiful illustrated single cover, similar to Hands on Me. I just think the lyrics are so incredible poignant.

Rabbits_on_the_run

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2011, 02:42:46 am »
And i've been playing the music video in my head since i heard it for the first time back in 2007.

mixedanthony

• Willing and Able to... Run
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2011, 10:55:28 am »
More Than This has so much meaning and I adore the song so much. That song is definitely underrated. H&T as a whole was just underrated.

mysticalmists

• Make me high on lullabies
  • LET THE COUNTDOWN BEGIN.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2011, 08:49:18 pm »
More Than This has so much meaning and I adore the song so much. That song is definitely underrated. H&T as a whole was just underrated.

I agree!! I think most of you will disagree with my taste, but H&T is my fave of her albums <3 "More Than This" and "Home" are so epic!

WhiteRabbit

• Your true colors shown
  • 'Cause It's All White On White....
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2011, 09:52:02 pm »

I agree!! I think most of you will disagree with my taste, but H&T is my fave of her albums <3 "More Than This" and "Home" are so epic!
Not at all. I totally agree. H&T is my favorite of her albums too. The songs are just so great, More Than This, Hands On Me and Home are like my absolute favorites :)