Author Topic: V's Most Underrated Songs  (Read 13755 times)

ryan9315

• Make me high on lullabies
    • View Profile
V's Most Underrated Songs
« on: January 06, 2011, 07:13:10 pm »
I'm not sure if there is already a topic like this because I don't post here too often. Please direct me to one if there is!

I think it's fairy obvious that Vanessa is incredibly underrated by the music world today. That's different though amongst her fans though. I thought it would be fun and cool to share each others opinions on which Vanessa songs don't get enough credit.

I don't really know how this is going to work since I don't talk to many other Vanessa fans so my opinions of what is underrated or not may be off, but oh well.

I think This Time is really underrated. I've lurked these forums for a few months and I don't see too much talk about it. Even on Tumblr, I don't think I've seen it posted once.

It's a really great song and I think more people should listen to it (big Vanessa fans or not) because it's something everyone can relate too. Plus, it's a bit vague as to what type of relationship is being referred to. For me, I can see it both as a relationship with a significant other or just a friend, and I think that's what I like about it.

I'd say Spring Street too, but I can see why people don't like that one that much.

sarab

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
  • Wolves howl to a moon and she never answers back
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: V's Most Underrated Songs
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 04:07:39 am »
I think a lot of songs from the demo tape are underrated, like last fall and little mary.  On the official boards (old website) there was some talk about this time, but have not seen it too much on here.  I think it's widely liked though!  There is an entire thread on spring street, I'm sure there is one on This time.  I too don't spend enough time looking through all the threads...it can be hard as a late joiner to look and read through YEARS of posts.  Lately a lot of talk is mostly about Rabbits on the Run and the five new songs we've all been hooked on!
~Sara~

[sobriquet]

• Fine as dandelions
  • And love comes back around again.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 06:41:15 am »
I agree. This Time is a great song. It's just one of those rare songs that carry you away.

Floating on the sea, stars are watching me. Currents take me out, what will be will be.

Martin.

• Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Connected to a million stars and lights.
    • View Profile
    • Sworn Under An Oath To War
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 08:54:57 am »
I hate her vocals on "This Time". I like her performance of it at the Living Room (I think?) in 2005 better.

ryan9315

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 11:40:45 am »
I hate her vocals on "This Time". I like her performance of it at the Living Room (I think?) in 2005 better.

I could see why. She really pushes her voice on the choruses. It's like a whole chorus of that part in Fools Like Me where she says "breakin".

OPENROAD

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 03:38:42 pm »
Wow, such a hard question, are we talking underrated by the general public/media or by her fans?

If its the former, then honestly all of her songs including A Thousand Miles which really was one of the best pop songs of the 00's but I never hear it on radio in Ireland/UK.

If its by her fans then I think Home, its such a beautiful song with beautiful meaning, fantastic melody and great outro.

But then again you have Unsung, Sway, Paradise etc etc etc .... far too hard to pin it down to one  :)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 03:44:55 pm by OPENROAD »
Never too late to change the pace
oh how the days creep up on you
but the goodness is something you don't have to chase
cause its following you

WhiteRabbit

• Your true colors shown
  • 'Cause It's All White On White....
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 05:37:23 pm »
oh gosh, theres so many! i agree with the ones already suggested on here and i also think that Red Ditty is underrated. i really enjoy that song for its simplicity.

OPENROAD

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, 05:40:21 pm »
Another one I forgot to mention was Superhero, I'm really loving that one at the moment, should have been on Be Not Nobody, oh and Dark Carnival.
cause its following you

WhiteRabbit

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2011, 05:41:35 pm »
Another one I forgot to mention was Superhero, I'm really loving that one at the moment, should have been on Be Not Nobody, oh and Dark Carnival.
i had an obsession with Dark Carnival for a while... its pretty much over now, i still love the song though!

OPENROAD

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2011, 05:50:51 pm »
i had an obsession with Dark Carnival for a while... its pretty much over now, i still love the song though!

I only discovered the song about a month go ;D but really love it, both the studio version and live version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DO1im7Agsic
cause its following you

sarab

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2011, 07:20:50 pm »
oh gosh, theres so many! i agree with the ones already suggested on here and i also think that Red Ditty is underrated. i really enjoy that song for its simplicity.

oooooo I love red ditty!  giggle at the end is priceless
~Sara~

ryan9315

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2011, 10:15:10 pm »
Wow, such a hard question, are we talking underrated by the general public/media or by her fans?

If its the former, then honestly all of her songs including A Thousand Miles which really was one of the best pop songs of the 00's but I never hear it on radio in Ireland/UK.

If its by her fans then I think Home, its such a beautiful song with beautiful meaning, fantastic melody and great outro.

But then again you have Unsung, Sway, Paradise etc etc etc .... far too hard to pin it down to one  :)

Either/or, but probably more so her fans. She's underrated as a whole by the media.

I agree on Paradise. Love that short instrumental part before the bridge.

WhiteRabbit

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2011, 11:35:49 am »

I only discovered the song about a month go ;D but really love it, both the studio version and live version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DO1im7Agsic
her facials, she looks like she's actually mad hahaha. so cute, thanks for posting that link! its more sped u than the studio but i like it :)

joey

• Your true colors shown
    • MSN Messenger - josephherbert@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2011, 11:28:32 am »
Easy.

Hands down it has to be Meggie Sue. I could listen to that song all friggin day and not even get bored. It's so brilliant. I call it the prelude to 'She Floats' ;)
"I see the Dalai Lama ... I feel him blessing me"

Myspace...Add me...

sarab

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2011, 04:11:24 pm »
Easy.

Hands down it has to be Meggie Sue. I could listen to that song all friggin day and not even get bored. It's so brilliant. I call it the prelude to 'She Floats' ;)

yeah!  Agreed.  I think the demo tape as a whole and her as a whole go unappreciated by the general public.  they don't know what they are missing.  They'd rather listen to selfish rappers and watch girls shake their assess.
~Sara~