Author Topic: Vanessa Interview from The Rainbow Times  (Read 8150 times)

ames4140

• You're a Genuine Wannabe
    • AOL Instant Messenger - ames4140
    • View Profile
Vanessa Interview from The Rainbow Times
« on: November 17, 2007, 02:19:13 pm »
You probably don't know me, because i rarely post, but that's just because you guys are so intense that i'm intimidated. (that's not a bad thing, don't worry).

But just recently by chance, i came across this newspaper called "The Rainbow Times" (yes, it's a gay paper) and i found an interview with Vanessa. I have not seen it on this forum yet, so i'll go ahead and post it for you =)

Link to the first page:
http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/7602/vcinterviewrainbowtimesqa6.jpg

Link to the second page:
http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/5154/vcinterviewrainbowtimeskb2.jpg

And if the images don't work:

“A Thousand Miles,” the ubiquitous hit single from her 2002 debut Be Not
Nobody, earned singer-songwriterpianist Vanessa Carlton Grammy nominations for Record and Song of the Year. Now on a new label and releasing her third album, Heroes and Thieves—which includes lead single “Nolita Fairytale,” an ode to the New York ’hood she moved into three years ago—the 26-year-old spun us a few yarns about her heroine Stevie Nicks and the gays who’ve stolen her heart.

Q: The low sales of your sophomore album Harmonium, which featured the controversial single “White Houses,” led you to get dropped by A&M Records. Do you have any regrets?

Vanessa Carlton: As I’m promoting this record, I thank God for Harmonium, because there was a fork in the road after my first record, and I opted for the harder path. I think in the end it’s going to pay off so much more for me in terms of longevity. I would’ve had regrets if I’d taken a slicker path that wasn’t a reflection of my own aesthetic, but had maybe sold more records.

Q: In the “Nolita Fairytale” video, a taxi smashes the infamous piano from the “A Thousand Miles” video. Does that mean you’re officially over that single?

A: I looked at it more like you have to close a book to open a new one. It was [director] Marc Klasfeld’s idea to run the piano over. At first I just saw the humor in it, but as I thought about it, I was like, Wow, this is a big, bold statement, but an important one. So it was like, let’s remind people of the girl on the rolling piano— because that image was bigger than the song and me—and then destroy it so we can start anew.

Q: What’s so great about Nolita?

A: Aside from the fact that I walk to the corner and hear four different languages, there’s so much interesting stuff going on. Just walking down the street, I’m inspired by the people that I see expressing themselves artistically. They also have great dive bars, which I really appreciate! My favorite hole-in-the-wall is Ruby’s, which I mention at the end of “Nolita”: “Ruby’s in the afternoon.” But I’m nervous because I don’t want people to go to Nolita! I feel protective of it. I don’t want it to be completely infiltrated by tourists, which it already is.

Q: Now that you’re on The Inc. Records, were you nervous about working with executive producer Irv “Gotti” Lorenzo, who’s best known for collaborations with artists like Ja Rule, DMX and Jay Z?

A: I was until I met him. When I played, he was running around the office screaming obscenities—all in a good way. I was just like, This guy is so refreshing! All preconceived notions popped, because in the end, we really respect each other and make each other better. That’s the ultimate for any partnership, romantically or professionally—making the other person better at what they do and who they are.

Q: Tell me about your gay fans and friends.

A: I love the gays! All my gay boys and girls are great, and I have a lot of very cute gay boyfriends. I have so many friends in healthy relationships who aren’t able to get married. There’s so much oppression in this society that it feels oppressive to me as well. Actually, I really wanted [the Harmonium track] “Who’s to Say” to be a gay anthem.

Q: Have you performed at gay clubs?

A: I just recently performed at a lesbian club in Albany, and the radio station that put the show on didn’t even know—and these were big, scary girls. [Laughs] A lot of times these stations are narrow-minded, so I was so glad they stumbled upon it by accident. It was a funny, special little secret I knew but they didn’t.

Q: Speaking of lesbians, how was working with producer Linda Perry?

A: I did my first batch of songs with her, so it dictated the direction of the record and made me realize what I wanted it to sound like—like it came out on vinyl in 1972. That was inspired by her vibe and all her cool vintage gear.

Q: How did your split earlier this year from Third Eye Blind’s Stephan Jenkins, who also co-produced your album, influence the record?

A: We all learn so much from our relationships. Not just regarding that relationship, I’ve had so many life lessons and evolved a lot these past few years. I work out questions and find the answers through writing—but sometimes I don’t find the answers. The last song on the album, “More Than This,” is about my favorite idea in life: At any given time,
you can choose to be peaceful, you can choose to be happy and not crave anything more than what you have. That’s obviously directed at someone else, wishing for them to understand that as well.

Q: You’re young, pretty, famous, and you even dated another celebrity. How have you avoided tabloid attention?

A: Well, I don’t live in L.A., and I don’t seek it out. You create your own reality. I just hate getting my picture taken and I hate clubs. I like old bars where it seems like Hobbits or ghosts would be.

Q: So no rehab for you anytime soon?

A: Hopefully not. [Laughs] You never know, though. We’re all fragile, aren’t we? We all have our vices.

FMI: www.vanessacarlton.com. Heroes
and Thieves (The Inc. Records/Universal

This article can be found on Page 7 and 9 of the Nov. 1st issue at http://www.therainbowtimesnews.com

Anyway, i found this interview to be really exciting and interesting and i hope you do too! =)
-Amy

ILoveHanson

• You aren't tryin'
    • AOL Instant Messenger - HansonGirl
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2007, 03:51:22 pm »
aww thanks for posting. that was a really great interview. :)
*Nicole*

I'm always on the move, my heart is always on the mend

www.twitter.com/hansongirl
www.last.fm/user/ILoveHanson

PianoPlayer12

• Fine as dandelions
    • MSN Messenger - anthony_the_great_g6@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Mattia1045
    • View Profile
    • Nessfan12
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2007, 03:51:33 pm »
thanks you for postingg...cool article...

Lets Make This Our Story. Lets Live In The Glory. Time It Fades Away Precious As A Song. Cause Someday We'll Be Gone
www.freewebs.com/nessfan12<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

ManuelD

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2007, 04:11:24 pm »

Hahaha.

PianoPlayer12

• Fine as dandelions
    • MSN Messenger - anthony_the_great_g6@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Mattia1045
    • View Profile
    • Nessfan12
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2007, 05:16:59 pm »
Quote from: "ManuelD"

Hahaha.

LMFAO

Lets Make This Our Story. Lets Live In The Glory. Time It Fades Away Precious As A Song. Cause Someday We'll Be Gone
www.freewebs.com/nessfan12<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

itsthefiveofus

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2007, 07:57:02 pm »
That was a good article. Its pretty cool, thanks for posting it.

Current takes me out, what will be, will be. Floating on the sea, stars are watching me.

ames4140

• You're a Genuine Wannabe
    • AOL Instant Messenger - ames4140
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2007, 09:15:21 pm »
your welcome, and i also found the linda perry bit funny =D in a totally good and awesome way though lol
-Amy

ManuelD

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2007, 11:15:36 pm »
I love Who's to Say. I've always thought of it as a gay anthem.

ste_uel

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2007, 03:41:47 am »

ditto!

Butz

• Make me high on lullabies
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2007, 03:55:33 am »
this was a really good interview, really bold. interesting questions and all.

Martin.

• Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Connected to a million stars and lights.
    • View Profile
    • Sworn Under An Oath To War
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2007, 04:56:26 am »
Thanks for sharing. It was a good read.

blueglove

• I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2007, 08:46:39 am »
Is that the most that we have gotten out of vanessa for a mention of the break-up

anyways that more than this thing... i don't want to assume, but does she like someone now?
Peace
-S

portions.for.foxes

• You aren't tryin'
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Mika+Iwakura1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2007, 11:29:12 am »
Quote from: "PianoPlayer12"

Hahaha.

LMFAO

Linda Perry's a lesbian? lol
And it's bad news, baby it's bad news
It's just bad news, bad news, bad news
'Cause you're just damage control
For a walking corpse like me - like you,
'Cause we'll all be portions for foxes
Yeah, we'll all be portions for foxes.

rainforestspirit

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/nessacarltonfan/
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2007, 02:53:32 pm »
Quote from: "blueglove"
Is that the most that we have gotten out of vanessa for a mention of the break-up

anyways that more than this thing... i don't want to assume, but does she like someone now?

I acutally got out of it that she was meaning that the boy might not know that what he has in a reationship with the girl was amazing and that he should stop looking for something better. I have NO idea if this is what V and Stephen's relationship was like but I just thought she was insinuating that people should be grateful for what they have instead of always wondering if "the grass is greener on the other side."

rainforestspirit

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/nessacarltonfan/
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2007, 02:54:46 pm »

Especially since she says this at her preformances!! "This goes out to those that are in a relationship that is not approved by your mother...or the government." haha!