Author Topic: 3/9/2005: Smith's Olde Bar - Atlanta, GA (review)  (Read 4369 times)

Danny R

• You're a Genuine Wannabe
    • View Profile
3/9/2005: Smith's Olde Bar - Atlanta, GA (review)
« on: March 09, 2005, 09:39:53 pm »
[discussion]

(Posted this over on the o-board as well)

Wow, that was a great show.

Tickets said 8pm. Opening however didn't start till 9pm. Long wait, ugh.

Ari Heist (sp?) is a pretty good act as well. He played about 7-8 songs using three different guitars and had a bass guitar player accompanying and singing backup.

His set lasted about 50 minutes, and then we had another 30 minute wait for V as they moved the piano's (one piano, one --- something else related to the piano, not sure what)

Anyway, I'll likely pick up Ari's albums as well. Very impressive, although a few people in the audience were rude and called out for Vanessa.

Now on to Vanessa's show.

Set list:

Papa - Glad she did this first, as this is the song I like least, so its only uphill from there. ;-)

Afterward, she stopped and greeting the audience, talked about how this was the first stop of her tour since the previous show was cancelled. (Did Pittsburgh not happen either?).

A few people yelled out "I love you" and the like, to which V gave a very polite but quick "thank you", mostly ignoring it.

San Francisco - written in SF

Ordinary Day - she commented that its the only song she's written from start to finish in one sitting.

Who's To Say - she shortened this down to just over 3 minutes 30 seconds. Could that mean its the next single (see Private Radio comments below for more on this)

Stopped again and commented that she loves Atlanta. (big cheers) But then she went into:

Swindler (should I be insulted? *grin*)

Ranted about how MTV and other channels censored her next song, because its about sex, and other things, so she'll play the uncensored version:

White Houses

Afterglow - "This next song is called Afterglow, but its not about sex"

Morning Sting

Private Radio - commented on how difficult this song is to do live, because it requires pre-recorded background vocals, and she doesn't want people to think she's Ashley Simpson. She stopped the song midway because her audio tech wasn't doing the vocals right. You'd hear badda bop, badda bop, and Vanessa would go "Shi t!" because he put it in at the wrong time. Pretty hilarious.  Anyway, if she thinks this song isn't good live and she's fearful of the Ashley comparison because of the background tracks, does this mean she won't make this a 2nd single?

C'est La Vie

Wanted - about a guy who lived next to her in Hell's Kitchen (possibly gay) who she thought was hot but didn't pay any attention to her until she played the piano for him. That pissed her off because she didn't want to be thought of as just a piano player to the guy.

She Floats - about a ghost she thought was there as a kid

Rinse - friend of hers who got dumped yet again (once when she wrote the song, and again just recently apparently)

Half a Week Before Winter - commented on how she loves vampires and they are sexy, and loves horses and that translated into unicorns, which is cliche for a girl, but she doesn't care. Song is darwinistic and survival of the fittest and a metaphor for difficulties of breaking into the music business.

A Thousand Miles - always have to play it, but she doesn't care because it allows her to write songs about vampires and unicorns.

And after ATM she walked off stage after thank yous.

Came back on for encore with: Twilight.

That was the show! I have pics and some audio I'll post later.

By the time it ended it was already 11:30.  With an hour drive home, and the fact that I've got to get up at 6pm I didn't hang around to see if there was a meet/greet afterward, sorry.

Off to the shower.  I reek of alcohol and tobacco (and I didn't even drink or smoke - but thats the problem with bar venues)  Later!

zurielshimon

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • AOL Instant Messenger - weetbixkid36
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/193866568
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2005, 06:22:19 am »
Thanks muches for the post, but I think your math is off a little.  If it started about 9 PM and ended at 11½ PM, how is that 1½ hours? :?

Can't wait, can't wait!  Just 11½ hours now! :D
Dustin

Danny R

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2005, 06:38:33 am »
V's performance lasted that long, not the whole show.

Ari was 9:00 - 9:50

Vanessa was 10:10 (guessing) - 11:30, or about an hour and a half

After listening to it again, I was wrong about Who's to Say.  It came in right at 4 minutes.

Posted pics and some brief audio over on the o-board.

Someone else posting there said that there WAS a meet and greet afterward.  Sorry I missed that.  :(

zurielshimon

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • AOL Instant Messenger - weetbixkid36
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/193866568
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2005, 09:30:02 am »
Oh, I was kind of confused because tonight's show has been listed as 8 PM and now it's 6, though I think it was always that way and Ari Hest just goes on at 6 and Vanessa should go on at about 9, but maybe they'll be late here too.  Who knows?  I decided to skip school tomorrow so it doesn't matter how late I stay out. :razz:
Dustin

LikeAShootingStar

• Make me high on lullabies
    • AOL Instant Messenger - shannachaleefan
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - chaleefannat
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2005, 10:54:07 am »
I think Nessa goes on a bit after 7 with the set change and all. The show will be over by 9 I'm thinking...esp if there is a show afterwords...

Did she have merch in ATL?? If so, what?
Thanks! I'm seeing her TONIGHT! AHH
Nat
-I will never see the sky the same way. And I will learn to say goodbye to yesterday and I will never cease to fly if held down. Cause I've seen, Cause I've seen, Twilight.-

Danny R

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2005, 01:51:43 pm »
Yes there was some merchandise.

Along with the CDs, there was a shirt and sweatshirt with Vanessa Carlton Harmonium on them in the style of the CD Cover.  Another shirt with a picture (silhouette style) of a grand piano and Vanessa lounging on the chair, ala the cover as well, but reversed direction.