Author Topic: Should people be religious?  (Read 26554 times)

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Lord Andrew
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Grakthis
    • View Profile
    • http://www.grakthis.com
Should people be religious?
« Reply #105 on: June 16, 2003, 09:55:58 am »
Quote from: "m125 Boy"
I have read the NT in the orignal Greek

8O

THAT is dedication.
---Andrew
If you are reading this, you are probably on my ignore list.  Click here to return the favor

Wagella Wrote:Yay for Bigotry!!

---Andrew

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Lord Andrew
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 16, 2003, 10:05:40 am »

These were seperate paragraphs about seperate issues. It appears in the way you quoted me that the latter paragraph refers to the idea presented in the first. This is not the case. The first paragraph discusses how the creationist account fits with the science (of information) and the observered science of natural selection/mutation (not evolution as I defined it). The second paragraph was a response to something you said and nothing to do with the former paragraph. Just to be totally clear: I do not believe theistic evolution is a viable worldview. In my eyes, it falls for the same reasons as normal evolution and it also falls in the presense of a language study of Genesis. It's a failed compromise (IMO).

My bad.  I was just cutting out the middle part to show the beginning and the end of what I was responding to, for the sake of limiting paragraph size.

Infinite mokeys, infinite typewriters, infinite time and the information coding system for the english language. Money's and typewriters evolution has, information code systems it doesn't.

Ok.  Offically my last comment as well.

yes, if you don't have ENGLISH you wont understand the manuscript.  But the argument here is that we HAVE English, so if we look back at the manuscript we will see shakespere.

Even if we said an infinit number of monkies had an infinit number of pencils and an infinit amount of paper and an infinit amount of time, we would still end up with a manuscript for hamlet.  They dont need to have letters to write the manuscript.  They just need SOMETHING to make marks on paper with.

Since we HAVE genetics, and we HAVE DNA, looking at the DNA we can deduce where the codes come from.  They didn't have to HAPPEN with the intention of forming the code.  They could have randomly happened.... this just happened to form the code that we now recognize as DNA.

And i guess this is the only point we disagree on.  I see it as possible for a genetic code to have happened by accident and you don't.  Anyone else can take what we've said and run with it from there.

Word.
---Andrew
If you are reading this, you are probably on my ignore list.  Click here to return the favor

---Andrew

PIBby

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • MSN Messenger - ckdurbin@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - IWanted19ButGot2
    • View Profile
    • http://hometown.aol.com/sanchezhouse/
    • Email
« Reply #107 on: June 16, 2003, 11:27:39 am »
Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh *bangs head against monitor*

You say ''Organized Religion'' like it's a bad thing. The Catholic Church, (again), believes that It is THE Church. So that's what I believe, as well. I was baptized a Catholic before I was even a year old, and I figure that's what God wants me to believe, otherwise my parents would have been Jewish and I would have been Jewish as well. Or Baptist. Or Protestant. Or . . . whatever. :\

Go on, all of you. Believe what you will. Envy the Catholic Church and Its population. Try your best to find SOME explanation as to why what The Church teaches is wrong. Have fun.

I don't get WHY yousay The Church is so ''bad, and traditional'' or watever the fuck you're saying. It's not bad. It doesn't JUST go by traditions. Every Religion goes by traditions, anyway.

Protestant Reformation - The Sriptures DON'T say ''alright, this guy named Martin Luther is gonn decide he doesn't agree with The Church so he's gonna nail what he believes on the doors of a Cathedral, and everyone's gonna listen to him. Then the Spaniards are gonnaattempt to bring him and his reformed Religion down.'' No, they don't. That's what happened, and MOST of what Protestants believe ISN'T in the Scriptures. They just believe it 'cause that's wat they think's right.

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Lord Andrew
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 16, 2003, 11:48:00 am »
Quote from: "PIBby"

You say ''Organized Religion'' like it's a bad thing. The Catholic Church, (again), believes that It is THE Church. So that's what I believe, as well. I was baptized a Catholic before I was even a year old, and I figure that's what God wants me to believe, otherwise my parents would have been Jewish and I would have been Jewish as well. Or Baptist. Or Protestant. Or . . . whatever. :\

CeCe... you claim to be smart.  You claim to be the smartest person in your class.  So why do you say stuff that is obviously silly?

So since my friend is atheist, does that mean that god WANTED her to be atheist?  And if God WANTED her to be atheist doesn't that make atheism just as valid as Catholicism?  Or what about Jews?  I mean, Steph was born Jewish, so obviously God WANTED her to be Jewish.  Which makes her just as right as you.

Which completely destroys your whole view on religion.  Thanks for negating your own argument.

Go on, all of you. Believe what you will. Envy the Catholic Church and Its population. Try your best to find SOME explanation as to why what The Church teaches is wrong. Have fun.

I was Catholic for 17 years.  I am quite familiar with its population and its hypocrisy.  I don't ENVY anything about the Catholic church.

I don't get WHY yousay The Church is so ''bad, and traditional'' or watever the fuck you're saying. It's not bad. It doesn't JUST go by traditions. Every Religion goes by traditions, anyway.

Duh.  Every organized religion goes by tradition.  Which is why I dont subscribe to ANY organized religion.  Tradition is bad because it encourages people to stick to their past beliefs regardless of how silly or wrong they are.  For example, not letting women be priests in the Catholic church.  Silly.

and MOST of what Protestants believe ISN'T in the Scriptures. They just believe it 'cause that's wat they think's right.

THAT is absolutly not true.  They base their beliefs as much on the Bible as Catholics do.
---Andrew

---Andrew

PIBby

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #109 on: June 16, 2003, 12:03:15 pm »
Quote from: "Grakthis"
So since my friend is atheist, does that mean that god WANTED her to be atheist?  And if God WANTED her to be atheist doesn't that make atheism just as valid as Catholicism?

Your friend, was she born an Atheist? Or did she just start believing in Atheism?

What I'm saying is, if she just became an Atheist, no . . . God didn't want her to be an Atheist. We're all born with the choice of believing in Him, or not believing in Him. And after that, He has no control.

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Lord Andrew
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 16, 2003, 12:13:56 pm »

Your friend, was she born an Atheist? Or did she just start believing in Atheism?

What I'm saying is, if she just became an Atheist, no . . . God didn't want her to be an Atheist. We're all born with the choice of believing in Him, or not believing in Him. And after that, He has no control.

Lets say she was BORN an Atheist.  Or for that matter, lets say she was BORN a Hindu.

Does that make this the "RIGHT" religion for her?

come on CeCe, you're arguing against yourself.  Don't you see that?
---Andrew

---Andrew

PIBby

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #111 on: June 16, 2003, 12:17:44 pm »
I am contradicting myself, aren't I? Please excuse me, I'm easily cofused.

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Lord Andrew
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 16, 2003, 12:21:32 pm »
I am conadicting myself, aren't I? Please excuse me, I'm easily cofused.

*pats CeCe on the head*

Smart girl.  

I like the song in the sig.

"and theres this burning, like there's always been.  I've never been so alone.  And I.  I've never been so alive."
---Andrew

---Andrew

PIBby

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #113 on: June 16, 2003, 12:24:21 pm »
Hehe. Did You end up going to the 7 Mary 3 / Gin Blossoms / Waterproof Bloned / Etc. concert Saturday?

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Lord Andrew
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 16, 2003, 01:54:51 pm »
Hehe. Did You end up going to the 7 Mary 3 / Gin Blossoms / Waterproof Bloned / Etc. concert Saturday?

No.  I'm bummed out cause I wanted to see 7M3 but I got too busy at work, and a friend of mine was in the hospital.  Ugh.  Thats 2 times ive missed 7M3 in Louisville now.
---Andrew

---Andrew