Author Topic: [NewsTimes] One writer's musical journey  (Read 1850 times)

cassiemoy

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
    • Email
[NewsTimes] One writer's musical journey
« on: December 29, 2008, 04:57:24 pm »
Vanessa Carlton

The Milford, Pa., native has been one of my favorite artists since 2002, when she released her debut album, "Be Not Nobody." Since then, Vanessa Carlton has released two more masterpieces, "Harmonium" and "Heroes & Thieves."

I'd met Carlton once before, following a show at The Chance in Poughkeepsie, N.Y. -- one that her mother attended along with her music class. This time, we talked about her new album and singles, which included "Nolita Fairytale" and "Hands On Me."

This year's show at Irving Plaza in New York City found Carlton opening for Joshua Radin. Her set was incredible as always and I had a chance to talk with her backstage following it. She's another artist who's nice to meet in person. I remember Kellie Pickler saying how meeting her idol, Dolly Parton, was special because she came across as being as good of a person as Pickler had hoped she would. I can say the same for Carlton.

" 'Harmonium' was the beginning of me kind of being aware that these are my songs in terms of how I want them on tape," she said. "A, I want them to be recorded on tape. B, I kind of want them to be homespun sounding and kind of beautiful chaos of some sort and sounding like it could come out of your stereo always in 1971.

"Actually, I think I'm stuck not in the '70s but in the 1870s," she added. "The composers I connect with would have to be in the 1700s! But just in general, the Victorian age, for me, is euphoric. And I feel like I missed my calling. I'm a hundred years too late or something."

http://www.newstimes.com/ci_11309666

the music writer choosing his top10 favorite interviews of the year, basically.

i always love the way v describes "harmonium".

& as a side note, happy nondenominational winter holiday everyone; have a fabulous new year.
formerly fish_for__stars.