Author Topic: Plan to NOT buy Pepsi for a while  (Read 17361 times)

PIBby

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • MSN Messenger - ckdurbin@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - IWanted19ButGot2
    • View Profile
    • http://hometown.aol.com/sanchezhouse/
    • Email
Plan to NOT buy Pepsi for a while
« Reply #75 on: August 25, 2003, 11:40:32 am »
Quote from: "m125 Boy"
Well, I have no problem with the old flag. The Confederate flag is more about states rights rather than slavery.

That's what my Dad say. He's a big Confederate guy; You wouldn't know it if you saw him, but get into a conversation about the South with him and you'll see how much of a redneck he is. He always yells at me 'cause my brother's all like "Yankees suck," "The Union's gay," "Fuck the North," etc., which is when I come in, asking why, if the Union's so gay, why it kicked the Confederates' asses 200 sumodd years ago. Then something about the Conedercy isn't all about slavery or something, which, I understand . . . my brother's the one who doesn't. I'm just expaining it to him. If I had it my way, there would be nothing more of the Confederacy and we'd all be happy Yankees. :D

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Lord Andrew
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Grakthis
    • View Profile
    • http://www.grakthis.com
« Reply #76 on: August 25, 2003, 11:57:20 am »
Well, I have no problem with the old flag. The Confederate flag is more about states rights rather than slavery. It's a shame that it has gotten a bad name. However, if the state has officially changed it, that is that. It may have been a stupid move, caving into political correctness, but it's official now. If they really care that much about having the old flag (which I think is a rather stupid thing to whine about to begin with), they could probably lobby to get it back.

There are a million different ways to express states rights.

The confederate flag was a symbol of REBELLION.  Of americans killing americans.  Treason, treachery, violence, anger, hate.

Forget the slavery issue, i dont want to glorify CIVIL WAR.
---Andrew
If you are reading this, you are probably on my ignore list.  Click here to return the favor

Wagella Wrote:Yay for Bigotry!!

---Andrew

PIBby

• MSN Messenger - ckdurbin@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - IWanted19ButGot2
    • View Profile
    • http://hometown.aol.com/sanchezhouse/
    • Email
« Reply #77 on: August 25, 2003, 12:03:01 pm »
Exactly . . .

Blake

• **BANNED**
    • View Profile
    • http://www.LinkinPark.com
« Reply #78 on: August 25, 2003, 02:23:38 pm »
Quote from: "LimeTwister"
Quote from: "danielmarko"
Quote from: "PIBby"
True. I didn't think of that. ;D

I'm gonna go protest out in front of the Pepsi thing factory looking thing on Crittenden Drive.

Did you know pepsi started right a short distance from me? Well it did, and the bottling company is about 30 minutes away too!

So guess what? I'm gonna buy that shit anyways...I bought a 2 liter last night, which is rare that I buy any kind of product like that...But who cares if that don't have crap written on it, it's the drink not the words....

ok we had this arguement before...but straight from the horses mouth...

Caleb Bradham, a New Bern, North Carolina pharmacist, renames "Brad's Drink," a carbonated soft drink he's created to serve his drugstore's fountain customers. The new name, Pepsi-Cola, is first used on August 28.
[/size]

I thought that he first served it in SC, oh well, I'm always wrong...hehe

Sig & Av By LJ User: Shinodaguitar

Will

• Moderators
  • Fine as dandelions
  • Advanced anti-spam registrations filter
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 25, 2003, 04:13:46 pm »
Quote from: "Grakthis"
Well, I have no problem with the old flag. The Confederate flag is more about states rights rather than slavery. It's a shame that it has gotten a bad name. However, if the state has officially changed it, that is that. It may have been a stupid move, caving into political correctness, but it's official now. If they really care that much about having the old flag (which I think is a rather stupid thing to whine about to begin with), they could probably lobby to get it back.

There are a million different ways to express states rights.

The confederate flag was a symbol of REBELLION.  Of americans killing americans.  Treason, treachery, violence, anger, hate.

Forget the slavery issue, i dont want to glorify CIVIL WAR.
---Andrew

As a Civil War reenacter..... the symbolism is very important to me. And no, I don't usually go on the Confederate side.

Think of it this way. The victors write the history books. If you talk to some Southerners, they will refer to the Civil War as "The War of Northern Agression." The states believed that they had the right to secede from the Union if the Feds were restricting their state rights. People gave up their lives for the cause. Politically, the motivations were very similar to the American motivations as a whole during the Revolutionary War. It's just that they didn't win that time.

If you want to say that it was a war of rebellion, then classify the Revolutionary War as the same. That was treason too. And don't mention the US flag, because it is a symbol of that struggle. The red is a darker hue to signify the blood shed for our independence from England. The southerners try to escape from what they view as oppression. This time they lose. And the history is written to make them look like idiots. And their flag is branded a symbol of treason and hatred.

The Civil War wasn't about slavery. If so, why did an abolitionist lead the Confederate Army?
"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." -Ozzy Osborne

LimeTwister

« Reply #80 on: August 25, 2003, 05:11:14 pm »
well i forgot all the pepsi details, the site said it was made for a fountain drink, but i thought i heard somewhere it was made to be a medicine....

jessica73

• You aren't tryin'
    • MSN Messenger - cloud_strife_73@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - bluedragonrider1
    • View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/users/dragonknight337/
Re: Glad that's over!
« Reply #81 on: August 25, 2003, 06:51:56 pm »
Quote from: "zurielshimon"
Can we now move on to debating over the design of the Georgia state flag?:wink:

To be honest, I didn't care about the old flag. I can recognise the difference between someone using the flag for their ancestral pride, verus a KKK ho trying to act all cool and superior. People are making too much of a big deal about it, and then wonder why the rest of the U.S. thinks we're a bunch of idiots.
Starbuck is mai waifu

zurielshimon

• AOL Instant Messenger - weetbixkid36
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/193866568
« Reply #82 on: August 25, 2003, 10:03:58 pm »
The Confederate flag has never been an issue among my family.  You'll always see one flying at our house on all Confederate holidays.  To us, slavery isn't even thought of when we raise the flag.  We think of our unique history and our ancestors who went forth and stood up against a government that was taxing us, telling us what we could and couldn't do, and not providing for us proportionately.  I don't pretend to believe that the South shall rise again, but it shall never be forgotten, regardless of who designs the flags.

Myself, it doesn't matter to me which design they choose as long as it does have a prominent Confederate influence, whether it be by including the Battle Flag or elements from the Stars and Bars.  I wasn't at all disappointed to see the pre-1956 flag in temporary use again while the legislature discussed the issue in 2001.  I even like the current temporary design, with its red and white bars and 13 stars.  I do want to see the people vote and I want their opinion to matter.  But no more Denny's placemat flags!

For reference, the First Confederate National Flag, called the "Stars and Bars":
Dustin

Lucy-san

« Reply #83 on: August 25, 2003, 10:06:16 pm »
what are y'all talking about?

zurielshimon

• AOL Instant Messenger - weetbixkid36
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/193866568
« Reply #84 on: August 25, 2003, 10:41:23 pm »
We're sorta-kinda talking about the Georgia state flag, and why everybody's mad now that they're either changing it or not changing it, and if so, how they're going to decide how they're going to change it, and how they're going to decide how to do that. :?

Georgia, you've been bad.  You get no flag! :x
Dustin

Lucy-san

« Reply #85 on: August 31, 2003, 11:31:56 pm »
ugh..amerikajin.....wakarimasen.....

anyway....I just wanted to say I finally tried to Pepsi Vanilla....mmm! tasty! it IS better than Vanilla Coke! and I love the ad campaign: "the not-so-vanilla vanilla" lol!

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Lord Andrew
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Grakthis
    • View Profile
    • http://www.grakthis.com
« Reply #86 on: September 02, 2003, 12:27:27 pm »

Think of it this way. The victors write the history books. If you talk to some Southerners, they will refer to the Civil War as "The War of Northern Agression." The states believed that they had the right to secede from the Union if the Feds were restricting their state rights. People gave up their lives for the cause. Politically, the motivations were very similar to the American motivations as a whole during the Revolutionary War. It's just that they didn't win that time.

If you want to say that it was a war of rebellion, then classify the Revolutionary War as the same. That was treason too. And don't mention the US flag, because it is a symbol of that struggle. The red is a darker hue to signify the blood shed for our independence from England. The southerners try to escape from what they view as oppression. This time they lose. And the history is written to make them look like idiots. And their flag is branded a symbol of treason and hatred.

The Civil War wasn't about slavery. If so, why did an abolitionist lead the Confederate Army?

You make some fairly bold assumptions here.  Who said that I was saying the southern states were the states commiting treason?  Who said I was accusing the southern states of being at fault of anything?  Maybe it's the north I blame?  All I know is that being from KY I know the BRUTAL history of the civil war.  There were too many Kentuckians killing eachother.

Frankly, though, even if the south HAD won, It wouldn't change the fact that they took up arms against their fellow countrymen to resolve an issue of economics that could have been easily solved with discussion.  

The major difference between the Civil war and the revolution is that America was a COLONY of England.  We were not PART of England.  We were not England.  We were a COLONY.  We were kinda like the lap dogs of England.  The south was a PART of the US with the same rights and  duties.  It would be like if London tried to leave the UK.

I never said the Civil War was about slavery.  And I agree with you.  Slavery wasn't the primary issue.  Economics was.  It was about Greed.
---Andrew
If you are reading this, you are probably on my ignore list.  Click here to return the favor

Wagella Wrote:Yay for Bigotry!!

---Andrew