Author Topic: Harmonium and why Vanessa is a class act  (Read 3414 times)

nosticker

• Your true colors shown
    • AOL Instant Messenger - DanTVFish
    • View Profile
Harmonium and why Vanessa is a class act
« on: May 17, 2005, 07:23:21 pm »
OK, so the ship has sailed on Harmonium.  That is a shame.  There are brilliant songs on it, and Stephan Jenkins did an AWESOME job producing it.

What I want to mention is that it takes an enormous amount of effort to make an album.  From writing it, to arranging/producing it, to recording the basic tracks, then overdubbing things like strings and extra vocals and guitars, then mixing it....it can be VERY taxing.  

It seemed like VC was immensely proud of it.  She didn't make BNN Part Two.  She made the next necessary step as a growing artist, and A&M left her up the creek, probably because there was no Thousand Miles soundalike.

This has to be affecting her deeply.  I can't imagine how it isn't, considering how good the album is.  Even non-fans say the album is great.

I salute Vanessa for having such COOL in regard to this.  I know I would be telling anyone with an ear what kind of jagoffs her label people are.  If I had made an album as good as Harmonium, I would be at the very least depressed as all hell that my labor of love could be treated with such indifference.

Vanessa never ceases to impress me!

Dan/NS

PianoGirl4444

• Fine as dandelions
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shannonthomas.net
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2005, 07:08:04 am »
You're sooooooo right.  

One good thing is that Vanessa is a smart girl--at least SHE knows it's a good album.  She won't be second-guessing herself or getting insecure, changing her style...

Unfortunately it comes down to this:  People have bad taste!  Everyone is too busy listening to "My Goodies" or some shit like that to notice or care about a REAL artist when he or she rarely comes along.  I've met so many people recently who don't even know who Vanessa is!  It's shocking.  So then I'll sing "A Thousand Miles" and they'll be like, "Oh yeah!  THAT girl."  And all I can think is, "How can you hear a song like ATM and not instantly go out and buy Vanessa's album?!"  And the same with "White Houses."  How can you not remember her???  

People suck, but you can't change it.  It's almost an insult to be popular these days...I always joke about the Grammy's like, "I'd be pissed if I ever got one!!"  But I would still hate to lose to Simple Plan or Bowling For Soup.  

But that is just my humble opinion...sorry if I offended any fans of those bands.   :?
Cross paths with what you used to have. You've gotta learn that you've gotta earn
The fantasy
:: shannonthomas.net ::

zurielshimon

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • AOL Instant Messenger - weetbixkid36
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/193866568
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2005, 08:21:38 am »
People, in general, do suck.  And here's a toast to anyone who is a little withdrawn from society:  It doesn't make you a loser or sick; it could be a sure sign of intelligence and sanity.

Bad taste abounds!  Stupid sells.  Ugly sells.  Ignorant sells.  To say that humans are like sheep is an insult to sheep.  Sheep don't herd up that easily and they know what a wolf is.  Every time I hear some stupid cleverly-produced crap-pop tune trying to pass as a more sophisticated R&B tune or one of those poorly-styled station-wagons-by-another-name, it's a testament to this.

Perhaps it's simply a matter of timing and exposure.  Who here would dismiss the possibility that someday 'Harmonium' will become accepted as something of a pop music masterpiece?  I'm not trying to be farfetching or unrealistic, but we all know what a wonderful work this album is, and we're all complaining that others don't.  I'm forced to remind everyone that the Beatles were basically told in January of 1962 that they were clinging to a dying style and were out of touch with the direction of popular music, yet barely two years later the whole world knew them and their influence (whether you personally consider it good or bad) is still felt in the music world today.
Dustin

nosticker

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2005, 09:15:24 am »
I'm not comparing, but look at "Pet Sounds".  In 1966, it was the first album sales disappointment from the Beach Boys.  Part of the reason is that Capitol didn't get it, didn't promote it, and issued a best-of shortly thereafter.  And the LP became a classic anyway.

The point is, once you're known as a "pop" artist, it is next to impossible to be taken seriously as an "artist" in the strictest sense.  The general public are not discerning enough.  There needs to be a media hype machine behind any kind of real change.  Reprise/WB knew that about Green Day, who hadn't exactly burned up the charts the last few years, and got them the complete package.  They had it all, hotshot producer(Rob Cavallo), and the cooperation of critics and magazines coast-to-coast.  This is not to take away from the obvious quality of the album!  What I'm saying is that albums don't sell themselves.

The bottom line is that somehow, A&M stopped believing in the album, if they ever did at all.  Industry types say crud like "I don't hear a single" or "I don't hear the material".  No matter what, there was a feeble attempt at promotion.  Even in towns where VC was selling out, the CD was not readily available.  This makes no sense to me.

Real fans of music will seek out Harmonium.  IMHO there are not solid albums like that falling out of the sky.  Some people are attracted to something with a drama around it, like Sony's refusal to release Fiona Apple's album.  I know that I had more of an interest in seeing what all the fuss was about.  Let's hope for the best.  Maybe the next album will rekindle interest in all things Vanessa.

Dan/NS

Cameron13

• Willing and Able to... Run
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2005, 02:36:04 pm »
I thought Harmonium was awesome!! I am not saying it is better than Be Not Nobody, but it was still amazing.  Everyone thinks she has only released one CD, which really makes me mad.

>>Is a guy<<

reveng_desire

• Make me high on lullabies
    • MSN Messenger - sammy0190@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - SpiratiesAnon
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - reveng_desire
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2005, 09:40:24 pm »
lol. This post reminds me of something that happened recently. I'm a band nerd so I usually go to the band room whenever I can.

One day, I went when I finished with my work in Physics. I entered a practice room with a piano, and my friend Courtney was in there. I started playing White Houses and she asked me what that was. I told her it was White Houses, but she didn't know the artist so I told her "Vanessa Carlton." Instantly, she said "Oh wow! Can you play A Thousand Miles?"  I was like "er...yeah."

So I played it for her. The next day I went in again after Physics and Courtney and my other friend Monica were in the room. I started White Houses again, and Monica instantly recognized it and demanded me to teach it to her. It was pretty funny.
Do You Notice How Many Lonely Hearts Are LUNATICS Out There??

nosticker

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2005, 10:36:50 pm »
I'll add something else, at the risk of total self-indulgence.  I saw that Will Smith's new album is on Interscope....makes one think, huh?  OK, then, from personal experience...back up about 10 years or so.  My band's demo got a serious listen from a label called Private Music, which was distributed by RCA.  The A&R guy loved it, but said "We can't sign anyone else right now; we just signed Ringo Starr!"  Never mind that the A&R guy wasted both our time AND his; I see now what may really be going on!

From what I recall, it was 2 years before anything happened at Interscope for VC anyway.  She never was a priority, and got support perhaps because nothing else had been happening at A&M.

It's a shame.  Part of me wishes she could have delivered Harmonium to a different label.  It would have been a better investment for all involved.

Sorry, I'm just really really pissed.

Dan/NS

Afterglow

• **BANNED**
  • I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
    • MSN Messenger - white_houses@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - XxSaturdaysxX
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Mcaofera_wunderschon
    • View Profile
    • http://www.harmonium.rg3.net
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2005, 04:38:09 am »
I Just don't understand something......

Vanessa got to sell more than 1000000 copies of BNN, so Harmonium had to sell 1000000 copies too...

WHERE ARE THE FUCKING ONES THAT BOUGHT BNN AND DIDN'T BUY HARMONIUM? I HATE THEM

THEY'RE STUPID POSERS

............ Vou para Europa descobrir alguns segredos da Vida ............

Cameron13

• Willing and Able to... Run
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2005, 05:10:44 am »
Yea!  But i heard on another VC message board, that she blames the producers because they won't let her released another song.  DAMN THEM, DAMN THEM ALL!!!!!

It would have been kinda cool if she'd released Who's To Say.  That might have made people buy the CD!!

:evil: stupid producers!!

>>Is a guy<<

Afterglow

• **BANNED**
  • I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
    • MSN Messenger - white_houses@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - XxSaturdaysxX
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Mcaofera_wunderschon
    • View Profile
    • http://www.harmonium.rg3.net
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2005, 05:41:51 am »
i totally agree with you, WHO'S TO SAY would bring more fans, who's to say is the best choice...

............ Vou para Europa descobrir alguns segredos da Vida ............