Author Topic: Bargain shopping with Vanessa  (Read 1634 times)

JazzyManda

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • AOL Instant Messenger - JazzyTrumpet07
    • View Profile
Bargain shopping with Vanessa
« on: March 28, 2005, 04:20:39 pm »
The New York Post chronicled a bargain shopping trip with Vanessa from last week. Take a look at her buy- from VC.com

"But as long as there was an Escalade and a chauffeur, the teen pop sensation agreed to go shopping with us for an $100 spring outfit.

Carlton is no stranger to bargain shopping, having worked as a struggling artist/waitress in Hell's Kitchen before she hit the big time with three Grammy nominations in 2003.

"I don't shop on a budget anymore," she admits, "but I try and not spend too much money at once." The 24-year-old Pennsylvania native, who is currently on tour promoting her latest album, "Harmonium," enjoys shopping at BCBG, Marc Jacobs, Stella McCartney and Jill Stuart, but they are all off-limits today.

Instead, we begin the day at Mexx, in Union Square, a chain store with chic, reasonably priced basic clothes.

"I want to find a really good outfit to go out in," Carlton says. "I'm thinking of something that's appropriate for many different occasions, from brunch to dinner. Something casual, but cool and an outfit that works for anything you might do in the city."

Mexx

19 Union Square; (212) 929-9925

This Netherlands-born chain has definitely upped its banal standards since opening its flagship store on Fifth Avenue a few years ago.

Gone are the black-and-white neutrals, replaced by a classic spring line of pinks, greens and camels, along with a funky accessories line of belts with change purses and dangly earrings.

"Mexx takes the most popular custom styles from designers and makes it super accessible," Carlton says. "It tickles every woman. You can find a little Marc Jacobs-style jacket for $40."

Carlton is drawn to a sheer white silk top, but it's too steep at $54. Time to head upstairs to the sales racks, where many leftover winter items are available.

Carlton's personal publicist pulls a "Flashdance"-y striped black-and-white top that's only $8.99.

"I want you to have this top," she says. "You should try it on."

Carlton tries it, and likes the top. But she needs a belt and some cool jeans to go along with it.

"Let's go to Urban Outfitters," she says. "I'll find everything I need over there."

Instead of walking, Carlton hops into the Escalade and sifts through a Botkier bag catalog while traveling one, yes one, avenue over to Urban Outfitters.

Urban Outfitters

526 Sixth Ave.; (646) 638-1646

It's hard not to be tempted by the new spring line here. Antique-looking, ripped, cut-up clothes are neatly displayed, along with colorful camisoles, cool T-shirts, cowboy hats, beaded necklaces, metal-studded bags and peasant skirts.

Carlton grabs a pair of vintage black boots, some jeans and a few belts. She then heads downstairs to the sale racks and picks out several items to go along with her striped shirt.

In the dressing room, Carlton emerges with the shirt, a cool brown belt, the black leather boots and a pair of jeans that "just don't fit right."

Salespeople start bringing more clothes and sizes over to Carlton, whose cast-off pile is getting bigger and bigger outside her dressing room.

She tries on a red bohemian skirt. No go. She tries on a pair of flat black suede flats. No go. She tries on a pair of cute knickers. Yes.

The outfit looks great, but when she adds it up, she's $80 over budget.

"Can you lie and just say that it's $100?" asks Carlton's publicist. No. This is not Hollywood, honey.

Carlton sighs and walks out of the dressing room to dig through more racks. She finds a pair of jeans on the "$19.99 and under" rack. They look great. We are done, and Carlton has to run. She has a music tour to worry about.

She did a good job finding the outfit that everybody wants.

"If you really find something you love and it looks great, you should always buy it," says Carlton, explaining why she went $35 over. "Especially if it's a basic that you'll wear all the time. The test is, if you want something and you leave the store and you think about it, go back and get it. I always do that. Or if you forget about it, then you don't really want it."

from the homepage http://www.vanessacarlton.com/index2.htm

Amanda[/i]

NESSAussie

• Fine as dandelions
    • MSN Messenger - nessaussie@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mybiopro.com/AU/?ID=harmonium
Re: Bargain shopping with Vanessa
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2005, 06:00:28 pm »
Quote from: "The New York Post"
"Can you lie and just say that it's $100?" asks Carlton's publicist. No. This is not Hollywood, honey.

If it was Hollywood they'd end up selling the 'cast-off' pile as Worn by VC :P

Rose

• Make me high on lullabies
    • View Profile
    • Email
Bargain shopping with Vanessa
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2005, 01:38:20 am »
MEXX?!  8O

Bit surprised to see that here... :)
It's designcentre is just 2 miles from here, I always pass by it when I go to my bf. I am soooo gonna look for that top tomorrow :D
home life
my whole life