Author Topic: [The Seahawk] A closer look at Vanessa Carlton  (Read 2602 times)

cassiemoy

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
    • Email
[The Seahawk] A closer look at Vanessa Carlton
« on: April 22, 2009, 04:14:01 pm »
Many UNCW students were still in high school when Vanessa Carlton's 2002 hit "A Thousand Miles" topped the charts. Now, seven years later, Carlton is headlining the 2009 Spring Show with Citizen Cope. The following is a Q & A with Carlton, where she discusses her upcoming performance at UNCW, her college experience and ongoing projects.

The Seahawk: Why did you agree to perform at UNCW?

Carlton: I have uber-respect for the musicians that I'm sharing the bill with. UNCW put together a stellar show and I'm always flattered when I get asked to perform at universities. My brother is a freshman at Haverford, and he and his friends are on the cusp of what is progressive and great.

The Seahawk: What are you working on right now, as far as upcoming albums?

Carlton: I started writing songs and mapping out a record in January. I'm on my fourth album, but it sort of feels like my first. I'm starting to feel like I'm embarking on an album that's balls to the walls pure. Spooky feeling actually. I've also been writing instrumental pieces. Scoring films

is a serious focus for me now.

The Seahawk: Are you touring this summer?

Carlton: Nope, but shows there and here.

The Seahawk: Why do you think "A Thousand Miles" was so popular?

Carlton: I have no idea, but I'm grateful. The hope and vulnerability in that tune is not so common in my writing, so the irony is that that song has allowed me to write about death, vampires and demons for the next 1000 years.

The Seahawk: What did you enjoy about college life? Did you enjoy it?

Carlton: Philosophical debates that, to this day, have adjusted the way I choose to live.

The Seahawk: What advice would you give those, students in particular, who want to get

into a musical career?

Carlton: Avoid at all costs

The Seahawk: If you could pick your perfect concert setting, what would it be?

Carlton: A medium sized, haunted theatre, built in the late nineteenth century filled with carved-out wooden gargoyles, candelabras and red velvet seats with music-hearting people.

The Seahawk: What's one fact your fans would be surprised to find out about you?

Carlton: Ah, too many secrets.

link but beware of huge pic (the one where she's in the dark red dress) that they did not resize and so took forever loading: http://media.www.theseahawk.org/media/storage/paper287/news/2009/04/23/Lifestyles/A.Closer.Look.At.Vanessa.Carlton-3721517.shtml

i'm glad to see a few interviews :3 we have people going this week, yes? let's capture some audio!
formerly fish_for__stars.

nutnlp

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
Re: [The Seahawk] A closer look at Vanessa Carlton
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 07:25:51 am »
thanks for posting.
..is rushing to pack his bags and take a trip to egypt like the average person does!!!

Martin.

• Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Connected to a million stars and lights.
    • View Profile
    • Sworn Under An Oath To War
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 02:35:22 am »
The Seahawk: What advice would you give those, students in particular, who want to get into a musical career?

lol...

nice interview.

iluvvanessa

• Fine as dandelions
    • AOL Instant Messenger - nolitafairytale1
    • View Profile
    • deviant art profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 04:13:41 pm »
i love her description of her dream concert...american music hall is kinda like that in san francisco...

initially_yours

• Make me high on lullabies
    • View Profile
    • My official site
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 11:13:46 am »
The Seahawk: What advice would you give those, students in particular, who want to get into a musical career?

lol...

nice interview.

Yeah, that's definitely encouraging, haha.
Musician, filmmaker, writer: http://www.theaaronchan.com