Author Topic: The Advice Thread  (Read 3789 times)

Holly

• VCUBs
  • Speeding into the horizon
  • Twin Stars
    • View Profile
The Advice Thread
« on: April 18, 2003, 01:24:49 pm »
just post your advice... maybe it'll help someone..

any advice... whether it's advice about boys/girls, sports, singing, how to play an instrument.. etc!

the only rule is dont purposly give bad advice! lol
"i'm willing to do anything
to calm the storm in my heart
i've never been the praying kind
but lately i've been down upon my knees
not looking for a miracle
just a reason to believe"

Holly

• VCUBs
  • Twin Stars
    • View Profile
The Advice Thread
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2003, 01:52:54 pm »
If your trying to be a singer... there are a few things you need to know:
I’m not an expert in any way… trust me! But in the past few weeks I’ve learned a lot… and though I don’t know how to do a lot of the techniques correctly… I thought I’d share them. Right now I’m learning the hardest song I’ve ever song for a concert, so singing is one of my focuses now.
Use your whole lungs… usually people just only use the upper lungs. But it’s almost like you have to breathe from your stomach, that’s what it should look like. And standing straight helps this because it keeps your ribs from pushing down on your lungs. Once I learned to breathe, singing feels like a work out now and I’m able to get more of those high notes out and hold notes longer! And it’s also important to breath in the right places… I always miss where I’m supposed to breathe and almost pass out when I get to the places where I have to hold a note a long time…
You can also cheat by changing the way you say the words in the song… like there are 2 words in the song I’m singing which jump really high, and also are hard to sing… “good”, “you’ll” and “often”, but when I changed it to “gawd”, “ya’ll” and offen. it works better. (ah’s are always easiest to sing). I know it sounds weird, but it actually sounds the same as singing it the right way usually (depends what the song is).
Also, be confident, that’s my biggest problem. I know I have some notes, but I think I can’t do them and then I defiantly can’t… or when I think I messed up my friends tell me I shake my head or roll my eyes when it really didn’t sound bad at all.
I think some of the people here know my fears about singing… lol, I don’t sing for people very often! Unless I know them really well or I’m under pressure to.
Ok… I hope I helped someone, lol, and please give me more tips too!!! I defiantly need them!

Katia's Lover

• I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GSUCarltonFan
    • View Profile
    • http://www.southern-connection.com
    • Email
The Advice Thread
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2003, 02:27:28 pm »
The thing I tell everyone about love:

Having a girlfriend/boyfriend is like holding a bird.  Don't hold it so loose that the bird flies away, or so tight that you crush it.
katiakaysha: you win
katiakaysha: you're right

I'm on a mission to piss the world off.  Is it your turn yet?!

http://losersareentertaining.blogspot.com/

Laura

• Keepin' secrets at midnight
    • View Profile
The Advice Thread
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2003, 04:08:58 pm »
i have some advice for young teens in highschool like freshmen or whoever: enjoy it while you can...it goes by fast. my freshmen year was ok but it kind of sucked as well...don't make it suck. find something you like, like Drama or something that makes you feel like you belong in school. make some new friends, don't be shy...i used to be really shy but now i talk to anyone who want's to have a conversation with me...and try to find a group of friends to hang out with through out highschool cuz that helps alot. K im done, lol  :D

Holly

• VCUBs
  • Twin Stars
    • View Profile
The Advice Thread
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2003, 04:37:52 pm »
yeah, i agree with Laura!!
it does go by fast!! i'm going to graduate next year (class of 2004 rocks!! hehe) and it feels like i was just a lil freshman yesterday!!
i have made a lot of friends and done alot of cool things... my class is so nice, everyone gets along, i'm gonna miss it!!
so yeah... just do as much during highschool as you can! some of the things you do may make you decide what you want to do, or not want to do when you get older.
like for me... when i was a freshman i wanted to be a vet, but now i want to be in the music busness, lol

CheapandEvilgrl

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Littlefish81
    • View Profile
The Advice Thread
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2003, 08:07:08 am »
yes....school goes way too fast
i feel like i just started hs and im graduating college in less than about 28 days!  

hmm...as for my advise
If you're dentist tells you you need to have your wisdom teeth out just get em out and get em over with. Do NOT wait until they hurt....cuz then they hurt...and it sucks!! :cry:

procrastination is a bad bad bad thing

Will

• Moderators
  • Fine as dandelions
  • Advanced anti-spam registrations filter
    • View Profile
Re: The Advice Thread
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2003, 08:24:05 am »
When playing stuff like Vanessa Carlton music, play with your wrists, not your fingers. Put the right fingers down further than the rest of them and roll your wrist.

Obviously, this doesn't apply to all piano music.

Also, assuming you have a decently maintained and good quality piano, you are going to want to be ligher on the lower octives and harder on the upper octives. If you have a cheap piano, this won't do much of anything.

When comping a band on acoustic piano, try to stay above middle C. Your sound will get lost the lower you go, because lower frequencies blend right in. The higher you go, the more you will be heard. But, you want to avoid being in the same range as a soloist, so be careful. As a general rule, never play in a higher range than the soloist.

Learn where your piano sounds good. Unless you have a shweet Steinway 9' Model D, this will be a problem. The first and second octives are "muddy" most of the time. They will give you really bad sound. Avoid them, even if your part notates stuff down there. Transpose it up a few octives. Also, avoid the upper two octives. Generally, they sound "chalky."

Don't get addicted to the sustain pedal. If you rely on it too much, you will find yourself screwed over on something like organ or a synth without a pedal. Use it when you need the effect, or when you can't reach notes otherwise. Otherwise, leave it alone.

Uh.... I guess that is about it.
"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." -Ozzy Osborne

rosieposy87

• VCUBs
  • Prat Twin #2
    • MSN Messenger - rosie_posy87@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - rosieposy87
    • View Profile
The Advice Thread
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2003, 09:22:44 am »
Well if you go to the dentist to have a filling don't refuse the anesthetic (ooh lets take a guess at who did!!??), it HUUUUURTS!

Oh and i reccommend that you work hard at school but not so hard it ruins your social life, in years 7 and 8 i worked so hard for these exams which didn't matter at all- don't bother! Enjor yourself while you still can!
"I'm all about the wordplay."

LimeTwister

The Advice Thread
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2003, 09:30:46 am »
don't be afraid to make a fool out of your self... If you do act a fool, laugh, don't get embarrassed...Kinda like me falling on the kick ball field...what fun.

TSE

• MSN Messenger - somniloquence@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TSE455
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - i88bugs@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
The Advice Thread
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2003, 09:40:08 am »
Quote from: "LimeTwister"
don't be afraid to make a fool out of your self... If you do act a fool, laugh, don't get embarrassed...Kinda like me falling on the kick ball field...what fun.

That IS my life!  Making a fool out of myself . . .hehe I LOVE it! (you all know I am a fool anyway)

rosieposy87

• VCUBs
  • Prat Twin #2
    • MSN Messenger - rosie_posy87@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - rosieposy87
    • View Profile
The Advice Thread
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2003, 09:52:04 am »
Hell yeah C, i always make a fool out of myself- i like making people laugh and i don't really care if people think i look weird (just ask anyone who went to the London meet-up, lmao a classic example!). I think its so important to not give a sh!t if people think you're weird!
"I'm all about the wordplay."

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Lord Andrew
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Grakthis
    • View Profile
    • http://www.grakthis.com
Good advice
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2003, 06:18:29 am »
lets see...best advice I know...

Never Foul a Jump shooter

Never get back together with an Ex

At a concert, don't leave till they turn on the ceiling lights

When meeting someone new, look them in the eye, smile and have a firm handshake

Word.
---Andrew
If you are reading this, you are probably on my ignore list.  Click here to return the favor

Wagella Wrote:Yay for Bigotry!!

---Andrew

LostDwarf

• VCUBs
  • I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
  • Now Found!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Bionicledwarf
    • View Profile
    • Email
The Advice Thread
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2003, 02:00:04 pm »
Never get back together with an Ex