Author Topic: just a warning...  (Read 3716 times)

Holly

• VCUBs
  • Speeding into the horizon
  • Twin Stars
    • View Profile
just a warning...
« on: October 23, 2003, 08:53:54 pm »
i actually heard this on oprah a long time ago, but thought about it today.

it's very rare... but it is possible that if you're filling up your car at the gas station and if you, or someone is sliding on the seats and causing static electricity that it could cause an explosion.... it is hard to happen, but it's possible that around gas flames even the smallest spark (even just static electricity) can ignite. this has happened a few times before, so just be aware.

i thought about this today cause i was about to start filling up my car at the gas station and i had my dog in the car, and i noticed her hair (she has longish hair) was sticking up from static electricity . so ofcourse i brought her out of the car with me while i was filling up.
"i'm willing to do anything
to calm the storm in my heart
i've never been the praying kind
but lately i've been down upon my knees
not looking for a miracle
just a reason to believe"

Logikal X

• Fine as dandelions
    • MSN Messenger - tqhx@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - tqhx
    • View Profile
just a warning...
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2003, 05:03:01 am »
Actually i saw them prove this pretty much impossible on myth busters....they also said if your cell phone rings while you are pumping gas it can cause an explosion etc etc.  The gasoline fumes have to be very thick in order to be flammable....the slight scent of gas and a cell phone or static charge are not dangerous.  Be careful if gas is spilled everywhere around the pump, but otherwise i wouldnt worry about it
Quote from: "ReSpektDaFrenziedEVanesSa"
But I have to say I love the feeling of anything going up my butt, it just drives me wild.

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Lord Andrew
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Grakthis
    • View Profile
    • http://www.grakthis.com
just a warning...
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2003, 06:48:07 am »
Quote from: "Logikal X"
Actually i saw them prove this pretty much impossible on myth busters....they also said if your cell phone rings while you are pumping gas it can cause an explosion etc etc.  The gasoline fumes have to be very thick in order to be flammable....the slight scent of gas and a cell phone or static charge are not dangerous.  Be careful if gas is spilled everywhere around the pump, but otherwise i wouldnt worry about it

Except that it has in fact happened multiple times according to the NY Times........  

Is it rare and improbable?  Sure.  Do you have to do something stupid to let the fumes build up that much?  Sure.  But the times reported that it has happened something like 8 times in the last 2 years so it is something to consider.
If you are reading this, you are probably on my ignore list.  Click here to return the favor

Wagella Wrote:Yay for Bigotry!!

---Andrew

rosieposy87

• VCUBs
  • Prat Twin #2
    • MSN Messenger - rosie_posy87@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - rosieposy87
    • View Profile
just a warning...
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2003, 07:01:02 am »
Quote from: "Grakthis"

Except that it has in fact happened multiple times according to the NY Times........  

Is it rare and improbable?  Sure.  Do you have to do something stupid to let the fumes build up that much?  Sure.  But the times reported that it has happened something like 8 times in the last 2 years so it is something to consider.

Andrew believing the newspapers!? *gasp* What is the world coming to?
"I'm all about the wordplay."

Logikal X

• Fine as dandelions
    • View Profile
just a warning...
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2003, 07:28:27 am »
Like i said Andrew, its possible if there is a lot of spilled gas around or the fumes are very thick,  In any normal situation though there isnt really a need to be scared....8 times in 2 years?  more people die from bee stings.  I wouldnt worry about rubbing against my car seat and becoming a human fireball personally.  You have to also remember that although it happened 8 times, EVERYONE pumps gas, probably 130 million people pump gas a day....You are more likely to be struck by lightning and win the lottery in one lifetime.   :razz:
But I have to say I love the feeling of anything going up my butt, it just drives me wild.

Logikal X

• Fine as dandelions
    • View Profile
just a warning...
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2003, 07:29:20 am »
Quote from: "rosieposy87"

Andrew believing the newspapers!? *gasp* What is the world coming to?

lol, i love how you two always bicker  :wink:

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Lord Andrew
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Grakthis
    • View Profile
    • http://www.grakthis.com
just a warning...
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2003, 12:04:31 pm »
Like i said Andrew, its possible if there is a lot of spilled gas around or the fumes are very thick,  In any normal situation though there isnt really a need to be scared....8 times in 2 years?  more people die from bee stings.  I wouldnt worry about rubbing against my car seat and becoming a human fireball personally.  You have to also remember that although it happened 8 times, EVERYONE pumps gas, probably 130 million people pump gas a day....You are more likely to be struck by lightning and win the lottery in one lifetime.   :razz:

Agreed.  Never said it was common... but it's sooooo easy to avoid, why let it happen at all?

And Rosie and I bicker because its fun!  Why do you and I bicker, Pete?  Cause by now we both know that it's not personal.  No one get's angry, and it's usually funny.

Good times for all!  :wink:
If you are reading this, you are probably on my ignore list.  Click here to return the favor

Wagella Wrote:Yay for Bigotry!!

---Andrew

Mountaineer

• Fine as dandelions
    • MSN Messenger - guitragirl6@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jumpergirl3eb
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - jumpergirl3eb
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/beepr
just a warning...
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2003, 01:20:15 pm »
yeah i heard about it.i saw it on the news like in summer

Steveau

• VCUBs
  • Fine as dandelions
  • OLD man whistling
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Steveau98
    • View Profile
just a warning...
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2003, 02:02:14 pm »
I saw Mythbusters too and the cell phone is pretty much impossible and there isn't any reported cases of that causing an explosion.

However, the static electricity fires are possible. There's one easy way to avoid this by touching a metal part of your car after you get out you can ground yourself and remove any static electric charge you've built up. If you happen to ignite a fire don't pull the nozzle out of your gas tank because then you might start a blowtorch essentially. Just run and get help.

LimeTwister

just a warning...
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2003, 05:10:19 pm »
they say touch metal, don't re-enter the car.

and if it happens to catch on fire leave the pump thingy in the car (i don't know names...)

Logikal X

• Fine as dandelions
    • View Profile
just a warning...
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2003, 05:42:09 pm »
lol....im bringing sparklers to the gas station  :wink:

Holly

• VCUBs
  • Speeding into the horizon
  • Twin Stars
    • View Profile
just a warning...
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2003, 08:32:27 pm »
lol....im bringing sparklers to the gas station  :wink:

8O
lol...

yeah, i know the static thing is rare, but it's possible, so i just thought i'd bring it to all of your attention. ive heard people talk who it's happened to, and i bet they never thought it could either.
"i'm willing to do anything
to calm the storm in my heart
i've never been the praying kind
but lately i've been down upon my knees
not looking for a miracle
just a reason to believe"

rosieposy87

• VCUBs
  • Prat Twin #2
    • MSN Messenger - rosie_posy87@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - rosieposy87
    • View Profile
just a warning...
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2003, 08:47:26 am »
Quote from: "Grakthis"

And Rosie and I bicker because its fun!  

Yup, Rosie  <3 s arguing! Ahhh i am trying to set up a debating society at college so i can whip people's asses in a formal environment. lmao
"I'm all about the wordplay."

VanessaLover03

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GodMustHateMe003
    • View Profile
    • Email
just a warning...
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2003, 11:53:34 am »
weird
A Very Proud NESSAholic and NESSAjedi PadVan,
Alex

NESSAholics forever!!!!