Author Topic: wireless... help?  (Read 3482 times)

kaysha

• Administrator
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
    • ICQ Messenger - 996740
    • AOL Instant Messenger - katiakaysha
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chickey.org
    • Email
wireless... help?
« on: October 16, 2003, 01:36:36 pm »
okay, who here runs a wireless network?

If you do, can you let me know what equipment you have an if you like it?  I've had a linksys router/WAP for over a year now, and it goes down more than a 2 cent whore... so i need to start looking into new equipment.

thoughts?

-katia
I <3 Nicole

We want the unicorns to live! - Vanessa Carlton

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Lord Andrew
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Grakthis
    • View Profile
    • http://www.grakthis.com
Re: wireless... help?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2003, 01:41:11 pm »
Quote from: "katia"
okay, who here runs a wireless network?

If you do, can you let me know what equipment you have an if you like it?  I've had a linksys router/WAP for over a year now, and it goes down more than a 2 cent whore... so i need to start looking into new equipment.

thoughts?

-katia

I run linksys and it stays up longer than Ron Jeremy.  You just have to know how to configure it.

I've also run netgear and had a lot of luck with them.
If you are reading this, you are probably on my ignore list.  Click here to return the favor

Wagella Wrote:Yay for Bigotry!!

---Andrew

kaysha

• Administrator
    • ICQ Messenger - 996740
    • AOL Instant Messenger - katiakaysha
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chickey.org
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2003, 01:44:19 pm »
Quote from: "Grakthis"
I run linksys just find so obviously you're an idiot and don't have it configured properly.
I don't think whether or not my wireless portion of the linksys really affects how i configure it.  not to mention i've tried numerous ways to configure it.  what linksys wireless product are you using?  and Netgear if i may ask?  I'm thinking i might have old technology or a bum router because i've usually had decent luck with linksys.  Will hates Netgear.. his netgear router creating much havoc in his life.

i've even upgraded (and downgraded) firmware on mine and reset it to factory on several occasions. :)

-katia
I <3 Nicole

We want the unicorns to live! - Vanessa Carlton

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Lord Andrew
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2003, 01:53:30 pm »
Quote from: "katia"
I run linksys just find so obviously you're an idiot and don't have it configured properly.
I don't think whether or not my wireless portion of the linksys really affects how i configure it.  not to mention i've tried numerous ways to configure it.  what linksys wireless product are you using?  and Netgear if i may ask?  I'm thinking i might have old technology or a bum router because i've usually had decent luck with linksys.  Will hates Netgear.. his netgear router creating much havoc in his life.

i've even upgraded (and downgraded) firmware on mine and reset it to factory on several occasions. :)

-katia

You'll have to wait till I'm home before I can tell you.  I'm still at work.  It sux0zzz.

I have two linksys WAPs running and one backbone router.  One of the WAPS is like 3 years old.  The other is a 2.4 GZ.  Fairly new.  And the Netgear is just a single WAP I use to connect my PS2 and Tivo.  I have to check on model numbers later.
If you are reading this, you are probably on my ignore list.  Click here to return the favor

---Andrew

Logikal X

• Fine as dandelions
    • MSN Messenger - tqhx@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - tqhx
    • View Profile
wireless... help?
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2003, 04:05:20 pm »
my waap is a d-link G series, i havent reset it since i installed it 7 months ago....for the expansion cards or pcmcia's im using all linksys a+g cards, i get about 50 yards of good service
Quote from: "ReSpektDaFrenziedEVanesSa"
But I have to say I love the feeling of anything going up my butt, it just drives me wild.

Logikal X

• Fine as dandelions
    • View Profile
wireless... help?
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2003, 04:05:30 pm »
my waap is a d-link G series, i havent reset it since i installed it 7 months ago....for the expansion cards or pcmcia's im using all linksys a+g cards, i get about 50 yards of good service

it said i cant make another post so soon after i previously posted, so i hit post again, now i have TWO replies  :lol:
But I have to say I love the feeling of anything going up my butt, it just drives me wild.

Will

• Moderators
  • Fine as dandelions
  • Advanced anti-spam registrations filter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2003, 04:26:29 pm »
Ehh... you told them about my ghetto WAP. Ha ha. But anyway... all was well until I upgraded the firmware (looking for new features). Then it started crashing all the time. If I upload anything signficant, it crashes. I look at it wrong, it crashes.

I call up Netgear support (it's a clueless call center in India) and they tell me that I can't "degrade" my firmware when I ask for the old version. Hello. Your update did that! It's degraded, idiots! I'll bet they just read scripts too....

But yeah, resetting the thing. Going back to factory defaults. Turning off port forwarding, DMZ, shutting down the built in DHCP server. It still crashes in the default config and in a minimal config with EVERYTHING turned off.

But anywho, this won't matter for long. I'm aquiring a Cisco 2514 and an early Airport base station (a friend of mine got the new Airport Extreme thingy). Hopefully this will make my wireless woes go away. And at least with the Cisco, I can have decent ACLs (the netgear implementation sucks!) and stability.

Moral of the story: Stay away from the Netgear MR814v2. :wink:
"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." -Ozzy Osborne

Logikal X

• Fine as dandelions
    • View Profile
wireless... help?
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2003, 04:36:45 pm »
actually thats a good call on the cisco, one of my favorite companies

id stay away from netgear, linksys, and belkin

Will

• Moderators
  • Fine as dandelions
    • View Profile
wireless... help?
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2003, 04:40:08 pm »
Quote from: "Logikal X"
actually thats a good call on the cisco, one of my favorite companies

Not to mention that I'm working on my CCNA and having my own router to play around with can't hurt....

Logikal X

• Fine as dandelions
    • View Profile
wireless... help?
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2003, 04:41:41 pm »
not bad, i have a ccna  :D

honestly i didnt find the courses fun though

Will

• Moderators
  • Fine as dandelions
    • View Profile
wireless... help?
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2003, 04:44:42 pm »

Yeah... we're doing layer 1 of the OSI model right now. How completely useless. As Katia put it last night, "uhh, this is a wire. this is fibre. this is wireless." Or something like that.

Screw this. I want to delve into configing these routers, the routing protocols... and other stuff I don't already know. I can punch out a straight through cable in 40 seconds. I don't need to "learn" how.

Logikal X

• Fine as dandelions
    • View Profile
wireless... help?
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2003, 04:52:17 pm »
ugh the 7 layers  :icky:

getting in the router is cake though, it should tell you how to log in using your manual, and theres probably a help command,  i have older cisco routers at work that use telnet, my one at home uses a web browser

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Lord Andrew
    • View Profile
wireless... help?
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2003, 06:27:13 pm »
Quote from: "m125 Boy"

Yeah... we're doing layer 1 of the OSI model right now. How completely useless. As Katia put it last night, "uhh, this is a wire. this is fibre. this is wireless." Or something like that.

Screw this. I want to delve into configing these routers, the routing protocols... and other stuff I don't already know. I can punch out a straight through cable in 40 seconds. I don't need to "learn" how.

My bro has half a dozen cisco and miscrosoft networking certifications.  Worst.  Subject material.  Evar.

Unless you LIKE electrical engineering/math type crap.  In which case, I am glad it's you and not me.

---Andrew

PintOGuinness

• VCUBs
  • Your true colors shown
  • My face is on milk cartons
    • ICQ Messenger - 3162963
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PintOGuinnessVC
    • View Profile
    • http://www.buckheadyouthorchestra.com
    • Email
wireless... help?
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2003, 08:05:50 pm »
"belkin" *shudder* ;)

I personally have yet to make the wireless jump.  my home office is where i do all my work and is run off of one mian Lynksys VPN router, a second old regular Lynksys router, an 8 port netgear hub, and a couple other various devices.  But whenever I get hired to setup WLAN for clients I suggest lynksys for price and ease of configuration and have never had a probelme with any of the systems I've set up, now with any of my own equip.  I really like the versatility of all their equipment and have found it to be really very reliable...
-- Jason

Will

• Moderators
  • Fine as dandelions
    • View Profile
wireless... help?
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2003, 10:00:52 pm »
My bro has half a dozen cisco and miscrosoft networking certifications.  Worst.  Subject material.  Evar.

Unless you LIKE electrical engineering/math type crap.  In which case, I am glad it's you and not me.

Uhh... I will most likely major in electrical engineering. And I am also big into number theory and computational mathematics (I'm building a cluster to work on the Mersenne prime problem! :D). However, I will agree that networking is boooorrring. I'd rather work at the application layer than the network layer. I'm just taking this class because I need to learn how to program routers and it also looks excellent on the high school transcripts. Not to mention I get 10 HS units a semester......