Author Topic: Louder noises from acoustics  (Read 4074 times)

Vultch

• Moderators
  • Speeding into the horizon
  • Trading Yesterday
    • AOL Instant Messenger - BVulture
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theageof.info
    • Email
Louder noises from acoustics
« on: April 17, 2004, 02:38:01 pm »
Copyright 2004 Scottish Media Newspapers Limited  
The Herald (Glasgow)

February 18, 2004

SECTION: Pg. 10

LENGTH: 723 words

HEADLINE: Louder noises from acoustics

BODY:
Who hasn't watched mesmerised as some impossibly talented starlet's fingers have danced at lightening speed over the keys of a piano and dreamed that they could do the same? For many, the dream has become a reality. Acoustic pianos have been a huge growth area at Biggars in Sauchiehall Street in recent years.

The classical piano remains as strong as ever but younger talent has been encouraged by piano-playing stars such as Norah Jones and Vanessa Carlton and the resurgence in jazz has also seen an upsurge in young players with aspirations to earn a few pounds in the evening at one of the host of newly cool piano bars.

A quality acoustic piano is many things rolled into one. It is a friend for life which will provide hours of creative entertainment, a welcome relief in a world where almost everything is disposable.

All of this enthusiasm should be read with one caveat in mind should you choose to pursue the dream. In recent times the market has been flooded with cheaper Far Eastern pianos which look fine but may disappoint in the long run.

After decades of experience, Biggars, one of the market leaders in piano sales in the West of Scotland, has made a conscious move to stock only the best quality pianos from top manufacturers such as Steinway &Son, Boston, Yamaha and Kemble. "A good piano will easily pay you back for the slightly higher outlay," says Martin Considine, shop manager. "Not only will it sound better for longer but it will last to the second or third generation," he says.

Steinway &Son, the ultimate in pianos, recently celebrated 150 years in business, while Kemble, which manufactures at the more affordable end of the market, takes pride in being the only remaining British piano maker. Some pianos, especially a Steinway, will increase in value, which is a very welcome financial benefit.

The buying team at Biggars has literally scoured the world to find manufacturers who invest heavily in product development. Their chosen suppliers bring together the latest production methods, technical innovations and highest quality woods and materials to produce products that the company has confidence in.

Of course, the piano is often thought of as the most traditional of instruments but advances in recent times have brought a new and exciting direction to the instrument. Every piano sold at Biggars is capable of being fitted with a system which allows silent practise which the pianist alone hears through headphones. With so many people living in flats, this is undoubtedly a godsend and can have an extra benefit if you're not totally confident about your ability to please the neighbours in terms of the sound produced.

One of these systems, called Pianodisc, is especially clever for those of us who fear that our ability may never live up to justifying the cost of a piano. This system could be thought of as a hi-tech pianola, allowing you to enjoy listening to the piano playing itself.

Pianodisc allows you to choose your favourite artist to play the piano to you, and some models allow you or the piano in "autopilot" to play along to a real orchestra or band recorded on the disc. Maybe not quite as thrilling as the genuine experience, but it certainly gives a new angle to karaoke.

Biggars is justifiably proud of its coup in being chosen as the sole Scottish agent for the world's best piano.

"We are thrilled with the success of Steinway in Scotland," says Martin Considine " The name speaks for itself and is synonymous with the ultimate in quality and desirability.

"Scotland has an appetite for the best and we have been pleasantly surprised that the vast majority of our customers are not professional musicians but extremely able non-professional players who simply want the best.

"This has made us Steinway's top dealer in the UK which is a fantastic achievement. "

In the past, a piano was seen as a real status symbol within the home, with many being handed down for generations. While having an old upright in the corner is less likely, pianos are still back in fashion, though not necessarily in the form we usually remember them.

Baby grands and uprights add a touch of style to any home, but so too do electronic machines and a range of keyboards, ensuring anyone can play piano in the form they most prefer.

Jessica

• VCUBs
  • You aren't tryin'
  • holly golightly meets vampira goth
    • AOL Instant Messenger - strongxlikemusic
    • View Profile
    • http://myspace.com/jessicacordero
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2004, 08:28:26 pm »
thanks =)
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy"
-Ludwig van Beethoven

joann

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2004, 05:36:31 am »
I want a piano!

Jessica

• VCUBs
  • You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2004, 09:34:40 pm »
Quote from: "joann"
I want a piano!

i want a 6ft grand in the french provincial color with all the computer midi recording stuff and  :D

..but for now im working on getting a decent keyboard with midi so i can record my music =)
-Ludwig van Beethoven

Will

• Moderators
  • Fine as dandelions
  • Advanced anti-spam registrations filter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2004, 09:48:52 pm »
I want a Steinway Model D. All of that MIDI stuff.. that's what my Triton and QS 8.1 are for.
"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." -Ozzy Osborne

tylor2000

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2004, 10:19:32 pm »
I have a "Kid's Musical Fun" board from Walmart, which cost about $20.

tylor

Jessica

• VCUBs
  • You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2004, 10:56:41 pm »
ooh i like the korg tritons =)
even though i get so confused when i play around with them at sam ash and i cant figure out how to get it to play like a normal piano cos it has like 348530945834905 buttons and like 23482034982039482093482 different things that all those buttons do =/
-Ludwig van Beethoven

Scotty

• Keepin' secrets at midnight
    • MSN Messenger - c_slaughter14@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - pianoguy1588
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - nessaholic88@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
Re: Louder noises from acoustics
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2004, 11:38:12 pm »
Wow I know these places mentioned lol I have been to Biggars they have many pianos it is on Sauchiehall Street...wierd

Unoriginal Dum-Dums

blueglove

• I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2004, 08:33:55 am »
Quote from: "m125 Boy"
I want a Steinway Model D. All of that MIDI stuff.. that's what my Triton and QS 8.1 are for.

I have a Stienway & sons grand piano with midi9 technologies, it is built in and it is soo sweet. but I am not too sure ho to use the midi 9 program it was my b-day present last year I have barely used it I dont wanna break it but i know that their realy hard to break but i don't know....
Peace
-S

Jessica

• VCUBs
  • You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2004, 11:34:50 am »
Quote from: "blueglove"

i have a stienway with midi9 technologies it is built in it is soo sweet but i am not too sure ho to use that it was my b-day present last year i have barely used it i dont wanna break it but i know that their realy hard to break but i don't know

you barely used the steinway? or the equipment.
if you say you never used the steinway i may have to take my humble baldwin studio grand and whack you with it =) .. that will be before i attempt to steal your steinway from your home ;)
-Ludwig van Beethoven

blueglove

• I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2004, 02:07:27 pm »
Quote from: "STARGiRL"
Quote from: "blueglove"

I have a Stienway & sons grand piano with midi9 technologies, it is built in and it is soo sweet. but I am not too sure ho to use the midi 9 program it was my b-day present last year I have barely used it I dont wanna break it but i know that their realy hard to break but i don't know....

you barely used the steinway? or the equipment.
if you say you never used the steinway i may have to take my humble baldwin studio grand and whack you with it =) .. that will be before i attempt to steal your steinway from your home ;)

no i use the piano somewhat i try not to use it i have 3 piano and 2 keyboards a kawai yamaha pianos and a korg and a yamaha keyboards i use those more they are sick but i have to say the best sound is DEFINATLY the stienway my mom likes having a lot of that stuff arouind the house she likes the look of them
alright i jsut thought i would clarify that
Peace
-S