> FAQ / Board Issues

Switch to SMF from phpBB

<< < (3/5) > >>

Vultch:
So a week or so ago the Nessaholic admins converted over another messageboard, smaller than Nessaholics but was a good beta test to see how things may convert here.
It went smoothly for the most part.
The biggest flaw I saw in the process was zero permissions for anyone in a membergroup, on this board that would mean anyone in a Usergroup like the Street Team, and anyone with a Custom Rank. Anyone that fits into those groups were not able to post, not able to look at or edit profiles.
I ended up deleting all usergroups and custom ranks and members could post fine once again.

Ghisy:

--- Quote from: "Vultch" ---The biggest flaw I saw in the process was zero permissions for anyone in a membergroup, on this board that would mean anyone in a Usergroup like the Street Team, and anyone with a Custom Rank. Anyone that fits into those groups were not able to post, not able to look at or edit profiles.
--- End quote ---

Man, that sucks. I don't want that to happen to my profile.  :?
So you had to re-create all the usergroups and custom ranks to make it work?

Vultch:

--- Quote from: "Ghisy" ---Man, that sucks. I don't want that to happen to my profile.  :?
So you had to re-create all the usergroups and custom ranks to make it work?
--- End quote ---

I created 1 new group from scratch to guinea pig it... the permissions for the group say the user should be able to do everything a normal user can, but even on the new group there was something screwed up so had to axe it too.

For ranks tho, with SMF there's actually 2 "rank" options. There's the post count rank or membergroup, those go above the avatar, but there's also a Custom Text field which allows users to basically make their own custom rank which shows below the avatar. So on that board I'm leaving it with the post count ranks (which work fine) and people can insert their own Custom Text.

NolitaFairytale:
I am just wondering, and I know that what I am about to suggest may be pretty expensive (depending on which deal you choose), but have you ever thought of purchasing a vBulletin? This is just an example of a vB and has nothing to do with Vanessa at all (nor anything anywhere near the subject and I am not advertising the site.) I am just showing what a vB can look like. The scheme was made, and so could one/multiple schemes be made for Vanessa. Just a suggestion.

Will:

--- Quote from: "NolitaFairytale" ---I am just wondering, and I know that what I am about to suggest may be pretty expensive (depending on which deal you choose), but have you ever thought of purchasing a vBulletin?
--- End quote ---

vB blows. End of story.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version