Author Topic: Vanessa hosts listening party for her new album.  (Read 2758 times)

Martin.

• Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Connected to a million stars and lights.
    • View Profile
    • Sworn Under An Oath To War
Vanessa hosts listening party for her new album.
« on: August 08, 2007, 05:28:04 pm »

Vanessa Carlton dreamily plays the last few notes of “Hands On Me,” a track from her new album, Heroes and Thieves, on the piano in her Manhattan loft. Her 20-something audience she's invited to this listening party all applaud, but are definitely quieted by the mood of the song.

Then, smiling, Vanessa busts out that immediately-recognizable first snippet from her 2002 mega-hit “1000 Miles,” but she quickly stops and says, “Remember that song? Yup, that was me.”

Vanessa then goes on to describe filming the music video for her album's lead single, “Nolita Fairytale,” in which a cab runs over the piano from her “1000 Miles” video. She shrugs, “But I can play that song too. I like that song.” I still wonder if I was the only one who desperately wanted her to – now I love that song, Vanessa.

“Nolita Fairytale” (you can watch her perform it here) refers to Vanessa’s neighborhood in Manhattan, around the NoHo – Chinatown area. She said long walks in those New York streets inspired most of her third studio album, due Oct. 9, this time with label The Inc.

The mood of the evening at Vanessa's listening party last night could have been totally formal – Vanessa’s loft was gorgeous, the party had Dean & Deluca caterers, the lights were dimmed and soft candles were burning throughout, but Vanessa insisted everyone have a good time and that we were all just “cool people enjoying music.” She even asked one guest to take off his press necklace as soon as he got out of the elevator.

Dressed in a floor-length white dress with a black vest, Vanessa bustled around the party making sure everyone had a drink in their hands (reminding us we’d probably like her music more after a few glasses), occasionally stopping to shower attention on her dog, Victor.

And later, Vanessa’s new partner for Heroes and Thieves, Irv Gotti of Universal Motown (which backs Vanessa’s current label, The Inc.), gathered everyone around Vanessa’s piano, giving her glowing praise and calling her "V." He admitted the lines in the lead single "spent the last two years getting to what's real...And now I can see so clear...I hope you feel just like I feel" always get to him. The pair then recounted their first meeting, which involved Irv jumping up and shouting to Vanessa, “You’re the f*cking sh*t!”

For her informal performance, Vanessa also played the tracks “The One” (she prefaced that this wasn’t "The One" from The Matrix), “Heroes and Thieves” and “Home.” All of the songs were honest and beautiful, and I think Vanessa is one of those artists whose talent you don’t really appreciate until you see her perform in person.

Between songs, Vanessa giggled and apologized that vodka-Redbulls and being in her own home were making her too chatty.

The songs I heard were all great, and I think the album will be too, but “Nolita Fairytale” is definitely my favorite – I love the added percussion.

Vanessa references her old label, A&M Records, in “Nolita” as the record deal she "doesn’t need;" she left them after they failed to promote her second album, Harmonium, which flopped big-time. After that, she toured for two years with Stevie Nicks (she offers a guest spot on one of the album's tracks) whom she also references in “Nolita.”

Vanessa looked to be on the verge of tears after just mentioning Stevie, adding that her mentoring and support changed her life. Vanessa then asked us to imagine a mini-Stevie sitting on her piano and continued to play.

SOURCE: http://www.newnownext.com/2007/08/post-3.html

itsthefiveofus

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2007, 05:32:14 pm »
nice, is there a link?

Current takes me out, what will be, will be. Floating on the sea, stars are watching me.

Martin.

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2007, 05:33:23 pm »
I've just put it in the first post. ;)

PianoPlayer12

• Fine as dandelions
    • MSN Messenger - anthony_the_great_g6@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Mattia1045
    • View Profile
    • Nessfan12
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2007, 06:37:45 pm »
kool..thanks for posting that :)

Lets Make This Our Story. Lets Live In The Glory. Time It Fades Away Precious As A Song. Cause Someday We'll Be Gone
www.freewebs.com/nessfan12<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

clamicas

• Fine as dandelions
    • MSN Messenger - claricecassou@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2007, 06:57:45 pm »
did you notice they used a picture from bv's site? :lol:

anyway, thanx for posting!
it's good to see all these great comments on the new songs with the  press.

Martin.

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2007, 06:31:57 pm »
In relation to this:

There's Nolita Place Like Home

Last night I went to a Vanessa Carlton concert—in her living room. Yes, she’s that rare New Yorker who has an apartment big enough to accommodate a grand piano. Lucky girl. She played four songs from her forthcoming album, Heroes and Thieves, for a small crowd of industry insiders that included her new record company honcho, Irv Gotti, and her adorable daschund, Victor. She also teased us with a few memorable chords from “A Thousand Miles,” a.k.a. the unofficial theme song from White Chicks. And she served up a lavish spread that featured my two favorite food groups: Sushi and cupcakes (from Billy’s, not Magnolia). Vanessa really knows how to entertain!

One of the singer-songwriter’s new tracks is called “NoLita Fairytale,” and it’s a typically beautiful ode to her ultra-hip neighborhood. During the chorus of another number, Vanessa forgot the words, but she didn’t freak out—she just laughed. “I had a Red Bull and vodka,” she explained of her memory lapse. Of course, this only made me like her more. After the performance, Vanessa’s place in my heart was solidified when I asked her if she’s ever seen White Chicks. How could I resist? “Not the whole thing but I’ve seen the scene in the car,” she said of the moment when her hit song comes on the radio and the characters gleefully sing along. “You’ve gotta have a sense of humor because otherwise you don’t seem very smart.”

nicole

• Moderators
  • Fine as dandelions
  • more rides than great adventure
    • AOL Instant Messenger - lovePLASTIClove
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2007, 06:53:53 pm »
I <3 Logo

whitehouses81680

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2007, 07:25:57 pm »
i love that picture of her