Author Topic: Fan Reviews of Heroes and Thieves  (Read 33264 times)

lavender skies

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
Fan Reviews of Heroes and Thieves
« Reply #60 on: September 29, 2007, 09:23:10 am »
I didn't download the new songs, only the ones that we have heard before.

At first, I hated 'The One'. It's alright now. I am getting used to Stevie's vocals. I would so prefer it be just Vanessa, of course.

abredli

• You're a Genuine Wannabe
    • View Profile
My review..
« Reply #61 on: September 29, 2007, 10:03:04 am »
FIRST WANNA SAY:
Why Oh Why
...isnt "All is well" on the album???? (++++++   6/6 from me)
That song is my personal favorite and it couldve been a great first singel. REALLY!!! Oh well

1 Nolita Fairytale- An ok singel, but should never been the first singel. Never.
its just to simpel in a way... Not deep at all.. almost shallow lyrics. Average producton and average video.. Why cant they step it up a little for the first singel???
++++

2 Hands on me. I heard it live the first time, with just the piano, and i thought what a great song that could be with a full orchestra with lots of violins and cellos and everything. But NO!! instead we get a pop song that seems just fake from beginning to end. The violins are really boring and very different from her first two album. Its like they dont wanna try to make the violins interesting. Its not. it repeats itself in a very easy setting.  
WHO PRODUCED THIS SHIT??? REALLY??? The drums are also just as bad. AND NOW I WONDER...: is it all effects from machines?? the drums and violins?? because it doesnt sound real at all??
Really bad produced and i swear i couldve done better.
I miss some kind of "ordinary day" production.
++

3 Spring street. A good song. Original lyrics. But the beginning is really bad. A low tone for Vanessa doesnt always work.
But the song has a really good a well done production.
+++++

4 My best. Really good opening. "We scream and shout and try to make it last"..    And I love the simplicity of the song. Good production...BUT She ruined the song singing after chorus "like a promise guest, its like you never left, ...) That just horrible...
+++

5 Come undone. 40 sec into the song it starts, with a beautiful piano.
Weak chorus. But i like the fact that the piano takes over the last minute and a half. Nice to lisson to...
++++

6 The one. My favorite on the album. THIS IS THE NEXT SINGEL, IT MUST BE... it cant be any oher way...honestly... This song could be huge..A hit!
I can imagine Vanessa and Stevie making the video in a fancy old age style party where they sing infront of an overclass dinner audiens.... Anyways..
Great production. A beautiful opening where both of their voices is just great together. Really good bridge..
All of it is perfect.  Except Vanessa didnt write this song 6/6
++++++

7 Heroes and thieves. When i heard this song live first time i thought it sounded like a children fairytale song...Whatever that is... Its not a hit.
A good song. Good production.
++++

8 This time. The worst song of the record!!!! HoW the #""$ could she miss the rythm of the chorus, or is it the producers fault??? Shes actually out of tune some places and it sound like she couldne care less. When i first heard the song live i thought the song was good, and the bridge part was really could, with the piano, but that piano riff drowns in violins...
And the song is slowed down to absolut minimum. And thats bad. When the  the sceond chorus started i had already sung the song finished...
Really bad production!!!  1 out of 6
+

9 Fools like me. I really didnt expect a up tempo song, cause it sound a little bit more slow live. But its cool and i like it. Great lyrics. Ok production that again drown in violins.
+++

10 Home. One of the slow songs on the record. I love the lyrics. Original and creative.. The song is building up from piano in the beginning to everything at the end.. I really like this .. It should be the third singel!!
+++++

11 More then this. Finally, a good song that i didnt hear until i heard this album. It could also be a singel. Really good piano that got me hooked from the very beginning. One thing i would change is the piano in the secong verse, that should take off a little more... A perfect closure for this album.
+++++

All in all im a little bit dissappointed.
A lot of really bad production here... And thats something that wont grow on me, lke Harmonium did because it was produced perfect...
Funny that Vanessas dog ends this album with a couple of barks...!!!

itsthefiveofus

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 29, 2007, 10:26:54 am »
oh...well I love the album. I don't like putting CD on such a high standard. To me I would not want to compare Heroes and Theives to Harmonium. the theme to Harmonium is WAY different to Heroes and thieves. So of curse when you compare them its not fair. I just like to see how the album is by itself. I like this album for its theme and I don't think any track is over produced. I mean she had more control over the music this time around so I am sure she meant to do some of the songs the way they are.

Current takes me out, what will be, will be. Floating on the sea, stars are watching me.

Jophess

• Keepin' secrets at midnight
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Email
Re: My review..
« Reply #63 on: September 29, 2007, 11:36:48 am »
Quote from: "abredli"
2 Hands on me. I heard it live the first time, with just the piano, and i thought what a great song that could be with a full orchestra with lots of violins and cellos and everything. But NO!! instead we get a pop song that seems just fake from beginning to end. The violins are really boring and very different from her first two album. Its like they dont wanna try to make the violins interesting. Its not. it repeats itself in a very easy setting.  
WHO PRODUCED THIS SHIT??? REALLY??? The drums are also just as bad. AND NOW I WONDER...: is it all effects from machines?? the drums and violins?? because it doesnt sound real at all??
++

Bzzz.... Wrong answer. Try again later!
Joe

HarmySandwhich

• View Profile
Re: My review..
« Reply #64 on: September 29, 2007, 11:41:33 am »
Quote from: "Jophess"
Quote from: "abredli"
++

Bzzz.... Wrong answer. Try again later!

I actually agree with him. The violins sounded terrible and I hated the overall production of the song. I agree - I miss the orchestral arrangement of Be Not Nobody - Ordinary Day is an example of what great production can do. There were so many things wrong with it, in my opinion. This is what I wrote in my review:

Moving swiftly to Put Your Hands on Me - i've got to say that I don't like the production of this song. I think that it's an awesome song. I loved it ever since she debuted it. I was actually expecting this track to be a solo song with little drumming much like Afterglow was. Instead, I heard the track which appeared to me, as being over-produced. The more I listen to this track the more I can pick things that I don't like. Those strings that appear - upond first listen I didn't think they were too bad but I do now. Let's be honest, it's not the best violin you've heard is it? The sound of the violins sound weak and sound more like added effects rather than actually coming from a wooded and holed instrument. Another thing which I didn't like it how upbeat the song was - the drumming sounded as if it came from a drum machine [I'm a guitar player and that drum machine sound is only too familiar to my ears]. I disliked the way the track included added vocal effects just before the chorus. If you listen real carefully, you can hear some vocal effect thats very subdued and sounds very much like - "Oh boy!" There are two further things that annoy me about this song - the added vocals on the chorus sounded terrible I think - those high vocals harmonized with Nessas. I didn't like that too much and the same goes with the Choir. I don't hate this song but I was just disappointed - way too overproduced.

Formerly known as Meraphix

Jophess

• Keepin' secrets at midnight
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Email
« Reply #65 on: September 29, 2007, 12:25:02 pm »
I was driving through a nice part of Cincy today with my windows down and blasting HOM, and I was very moved. I think the arrangement is beautiful. I feel like the production is amazing. I love the strings, especially on the last chorus. It's different from a lot of her old stuff, but you just can't expect it to be a clone of BnN or Harmonium. I think it's my second favorite song on the CD.
Joe

therealchriss

• You're a Genuine Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 29, 2007, 12:49:00 pm »
The problem with the strings on HoM is that either a) they used a terrible synth string program, or b) the strings are out of tune. The highs sound very tinny, also.

LimeTwister

« Reply #67 on: September 29, 2007, 01:01:50 pm »
Yeah, the violin sounds fake.

But I like the song nonetheless.

NoelleNC

• You aren't tryin'
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Noelle1822
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 29, 2007, 01:30:43 pm »
In HOM, even the piano sounds a bit muffled/out of tune... I think anything similar in the violin section might be on purpose. It sounds sort of stilted... but I like it. I really like the "ticking" sound on the verses.

Butz

• Make me high on lullabies
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 29, 2007, 02:19:38 pm »
I think the rewinding sounds you hear in the beginning of HOM are weird, but you get used to it. There are A LOT of layers in the song, I just LOVE it. And I get goosebumps everytime the choir kicks in.

Lovely song. Exept for the 'hey's' every now and then it was really unnecessary, just like the 'hey' was in Nolita.

cassiemoy

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #70 on: September 29, 2007, 02:46:48 pm »
"hands on me" was the one song that i allowed myself to listen to off h&t so far.

the first time i heard it, i was disappointed. especially after having so many beautiful live recordings of it. something seemed a little off about the song... and harmysandwhich dissected that rather thoroughly, so i won't.

but it's kind of like nolita fairytale, it kind of grows on you.
formerly fish_for__stars.

liquidblue244

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
String
« Reply #71 on: September 29, 2007, 04:07:38 pm »
Quote from: "therealchriss"
The problem with the strings on HoM is that either a) they used a terrible synth string program, or b) the strings are out of tune. The highs sound very tinny, also.

The strings are TWANGY. I think it was done on purpose because of her reference to the Dalai Lama, it has that ethnic quality to it. It was done on purpose......did anyone else notice that?

And all the constellations, shine down on you and me...

HarmySandwhich

• View Profile
Re: String
« Reply #72 on: September 29, 2007, 04:11:46 pm »
Quote from: "liquidblue244"

The strings are TWANGY. I think it was done on purpose because of her reference to the Dalai Lama, it has that ethnic quality to it. It was done on purpose......did anyone else notice that?

Good interpretation but if it was done because of that, I think they ruined it.

liquidblue244

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 29, 2007, 04:12:35 pm »
Quote from: "HarmySandwhich"

They didn't ruin it. The song is fucking amazing.

And all the constellations, shine down on you and me...

HarmySandwhich

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 29, 2007, 04:15:41 pm »
Quote from: "HarmySandwhich"

They didn't ruin it. The song is fucking amazing.

Opinions are opinions.  :lol: