Author Topic: I'm going to buy a violin  (Read 3768 times)

HarmySandwhich

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
I'm going to buy a violin
« on: September 29, 2007, 01:03:52 pm »
Does anyone here play violin and can you give me any recommendations as to which Violin is suitable for a beginner? I've done some research and i've found some really cheap violins that are "beginner" standard starting from prices as low as £50. However, there's got to be a catch. Being a long-time guitar player I know instrument prices as low as that come with major faults such as an inferior coating which drastically reduces a genuine guitar tone.

I'm looking for a good starting out violin with a budget of around £200. Would the make Andreas suffice?

I'm a huge fiddle fan and I always wanted to play violin. This is my chance.

Formerly known as Meraphix

LimeTwister

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2007, 01:06:23 pm »
You can buy a machine and play Hands on Me.

But as for real advice, I have none.

HarmySandwhich

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2007, 01:12:27 pm »
Quote from: "LimeTwister"
You can buy a machine and play Hands on Me.

But as for real advice, I have none.

That's one of the reasons which make me want a violin even more. I thought, surely a violin can't sound the way it did in Put Your Hands on Me.

EDIT: You never replied to my PM  :cry:

Martin.

• Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Connected to a million stars and lights.
    • View Profile
    • Sworn Under An Oath To War
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2007, 02:01:00 pm »
They used a real violin in "Hands On Me"...all the instruments were real actually, according to the guy who was stands up front and directs the orchestra with a stick (I forgot what they're called, lol).

LimeTwister

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2007, 03:23:03 pm »
Quote from: "HarmySandwhich"

EDIT: You never replied to my PM  :cry:

Sorry, I've been busy.  I will reply now though.

tylor2000

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2007, 03:45:08 pm »
Quote from: "Hazy Eyes"
They used a real violin in "Hands On Me"...all the instruments were real actually, according to the guy who was stands up front and directs the orchestra with a stick (I forgot what they're called, lol).

They are called conductors.  :)

HarmySandwhich

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2007, 10:57:27 am »
More research has led me to believe that I can play basic violin without even playing on one before because it's like the guitar. Playing it with correct pitch is a different story  :lol: but I know all the notes on a violin anyway. I can read music but not very well so hopefully, I can finally learn and get uptodate with reading scores.

IcyStorm

• Willing and Able to... Run
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2007, 03:22:08 pm »
Yeah, if you've played guitar (or any instrument), you'll know the notes and stuff on the violin pretty easily... but the violin is ridiculously hard =/

http://plus.maths.org/issue31/features/woodhouse/index.html
- IcyStorm

HarmySandwhich

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2007, 04:00:17 am »
Meh - I can deal ith it  :lol:. I played Saxaphone for a couple of years and I know I can do it all again. The only problem with a violin is that it has no frets, as a guitar would. So I need to improve on ear training. I figured playing violin will help me so much more on guitar.

angelheart56

• I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
    • MSN Messenger - angelheart567865@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - vcangelsb922
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - angelheart567865
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/angelheart56
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2007, 06:20:11 am »
For a beginner to an intermediate level, a Glaesel is pretty good. It was my first violin and now I'm on my third, but the Glaesel is still my favorite to play. The other two were hand made in Russia, but they aren't too expensive either, if you can find a violin salesplace that is centered around the instrument. Glaesels can be found anywhere from prices that range from 150-400 dollars, depending on the tone you want from the violin. I believe mine was 225.

As a side note, you do realize that the fiddle is different than the violin?

HarmySandwhich

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2007, 06:55:08 am »
Quote from: "angelheart56"
For a beginner to an intermediate level, a Glaesel is pretty good. It was my first violin and now I'm on my third, but the Glaesel is still my favorite to play. The other two were hand made in Russia, but they aren't too expensive either, if you can find a violin salesplace that is centered around the instrument. Glaesels can be found anywhere from prices that range from 150-400 dollars, depending on the tone you want from the violin. I believe mine was 225.

As a side note, you do realize that the fiddle is different than the violin?

Thank you for the advice - I'm looking to spend around £150 [Around $300USD]. By fiddle, I mean country violin. All violins can be called fiddle but generally, fiddle refers to a violin when it is played in country music. A person who plays a violin is called a violinist or a fiddler, irrespective of what genre you play. So, in a way, they are synonymous with each other.

:D

angelheart56

• I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
    • MSN Messenger - angelheart567865@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - vcangelsb922
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - angelheart567865
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/angelheart56
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2007, 08:11:17 am »
I know. I just wasn't sure if you were looking for a fiddle or a violin. A fiddle has a flatter bridge, which allows one to fiddle a hell of a lot easier than on a normal violin. :)

HarmySandwhich

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2007, 08:45:12 am »
Quote from: "angelheart56"
I know. I just wasn't sure if you were looking for a fiddle or a violin. A fiddle has a flatter bridge, which allows one to fiddle a hell of a lot easier than on a normal violin. :)

O Rly?  :D

Then I shall get a fiddle, one with a flatter bridge.

Question: How long have you been playing for? Was it your first instrument, or are you like me [a person who already played a stringed instrument]? How was it when you first started?