Author Topic: Her record company  (Read 15786 times)

Cyril

• Make me high on lullabies
    • View Profile
Her record company
« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2009, 09:01:04 am »
I wonder if she's still with the Inc. I know she had a two-year-deal promotion for "Heroes & Thieves"...

Steveau

• VCUBs
  • Fine as dandelions
  • OLD man whistling
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Steveau98
    • View Profile
Her record company
« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2009, 12:48:39 pm »
I wish she would get with a record company that would promote her properly. They always seem to fall short. I know that the songs have a lot to do with the success of the album but the album also has to be pushed into the public eye too.

Ghisy

• VCUBs
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • V-Unit!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Ghis+V
    • View Profile
Her record company
« Reply #47 on: February 05, 2009, 02:55:23 am »
Quote from: "Cyril"
I wonder if she's still with the Inc. I know she had a two-year-deal promotion for "Heroes & Thieves"...

Well, she's still featured on The Inc's website:

So if the site is up to date, she's still with them.
Ghisy
The Original French NESSAholic

nutnlp

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
Her record company
« Reply #48 on: February 05, 2009, 07:28:07 am »
If she doesn't stick with Inc/Universal......WOW what a jumper.....if she is indeed no longer with them the only logical thing would be too go indie....honestly.....but if she stays with them, good.....
..is rushing to pack his bags and take a trip to egypt like the average person does!!!

_all_is_well_

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
Her record company
« Reply #49 on: February 05, 2009, 02:25:42 pm »
Quote from: "nutnlp"
If she doesn't stick with Inc/Universal......WOW what a jumper.....if she is indeed no longer with them the only logical thing would be too go indie....honestly.....but if she stays with them, good.....

I think going indie would be a suicide for her career, no offense. But at least she got SOME promotion, like when Nolita Fairytale was on the hills and ect. If shes indie there wont be any.

nutnlp

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
Her record company
« Reply #50 on: February 06, 2009, 10:38:07 am »
Thats not true....tons of indie bands that run their own record labels get tv/radio play...if u ask me i just don't think vanessa has a good team...i don't think she has a team at all.......she's probably not a good artist to go indie since she doesn't really embrace the internet and the power that it has when it comes to promotiing your music FOR FREE...but if she did there would still be tons of profit coming in....you can sell hundreds of thousands of records on a major and make next to nothing....you can sell only thousands on your own imrint and make THE SAME if not more...

The Distrubution company does most of the work anyway...

Red Eye Distribution has 50/50 deals with all of the artist that they roster...and that is an amazing deal...actually theres probably nothing better.  If an artist was to sale 20,000 copies @ 6.00 a CD(what the retailer would pay in bulk)....generally an artist would receive $60,000 on album sales alone.  They also fund music videos for the artist, etc......

Theres tons of ways too look @ this....I just don't know if shes strong enough to go it alone...and I think that has a lot to do with the events of the last 2 years....

If Harmonium and H & T both 'flopped' in a sense I don't see what kind of material she could release that would get anyone elses' attention...unless she was to give in and completely change her sound and become something else....WHICH NONE OF US WOULD WANT.

It's not the labels fault....you can't make people buy records with tons of promotion...yes, it helps, but you can't make people buy something they don't want too......I think Vanessa has a strong dedicated fanbase and she should totally cater to them more because they might be the only ones buying the next record, or the one after that, etc......

Belive it or not there are bands that survive on a very small dedicated fanbase alone...they cater to them...and it works.
..is rushing to pack his bags and take a trip to egypt like the average person does!!!

nosticker

• Your true colors shown
    • AOL Instant Messenger - DanTVFish
    • View Profile
Her record company
« Reply #51 on: February 06, 2009, 06:25:16 pm »
Vanessa really has to decide how she wants to proceed, at this point.  If Radiohead don't need a major label, she certainly doesn't.  The majors really have done nothing for VC; don't forget that she was with A&M for years before BNN came out.

The business model of music has really changed.  Major labels used to be able to offer worldwide distribution, which many indies could not.  Now?  Who cares.  They also used to have their own studios in some cases.  Now?  People are getting decent sounds in little home independent studios.
A major artist no longer needs a major label to bankroll the making of an album or to get radio promotion.  

When all is said and done, even after the labels are paid back all the money they have put up, they STILL OWN THE ALBUM MASTERS.  This is fairly standard but cruel.  Sad, but BNN, HARMONIUM and H&T are all in the grubby little hands of people that could not care less about VC, and make tons of money when the tracks end up on NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL BULLSH** VOL. 162.

It's a horrible, demeaning place that I have barely peered into, this biz, and I do wish the best for our V.

Dan/NS

Cyril

• Make me high on lullabies
    • View Profile
Her record company
« Reply #52 on: February 07, 2009, 04:20:03 am »
I really liked what Nutnlp and Nosticker wrote. Thank you !