Poll

Would you rather have an Automatic or Manual car?

I would rather drive a Manual Transmission car
11 (32.4%)
I would rather drive an Automatic Transmission car
23 (67.6%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Voting closed: October 01, 2007, 07:44:11 pm

Author Topic: Automatic or Manual Car  (Read 14867 times)

zurielshimon

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • AOL Instant Messenger - weetbixkid36
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/193866568
Automatic or Manual Car
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2007, 12:38:05 pm »
Quote from: "SAMMIE CARTER"
Quote from: "zurielshimon"
Driving uphill is pie.  Driving downhill takes patience and skill. 8)

driving uphill is fine unless you have to stop at a red light. it's that moment of taking your foot off the brake and trying to get your foot on the gas pedal asap before you hit the car behind you. it's just stressful for me haha.

How many feet do you have?
Dustin

Manda

• Speeding into the horizon
    • View Profile
Automatic or Manual Car
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2007, 03:07:20 pm »
I have that same problem when driving uphill. I always feel like I'm going to roll back and hit the car behind me. It scares the hell out of me. One car almost did that to me. I was off school and there was this girl in her 20's who was driving this red nissan truck and she kept rolling back but braking very quickly, and she just pulled her emergency brake and told me if I could go around (luckily there was no one around to yell and honk at her) so I just did. I kept saying "oh no, please don't hit me!!"  8O

You know that Dirrty feeling when you wake up with no pants on face down on the floor of the city bus and you got like a condom in your ear? Thats the feeling we are trying to create! - Sarah Michelle Gellar

Jessica

• VCUBs
  • You aren't tryin'
  • holly golightly meets vampira goth
    • AOL Instant Messenger - strongxlikemusic
    • View Profile
    • http://myspace.com/jessicacordero
Automatic or Manual Car
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2007, 05:39:26 pm »
Quote from: "Will"

The bicycle nazi exits the thread.

yeah because i can actually get somewhere in LA riding a bike...
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy"
-Ludwig van Beethoven

vcfan

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
    • Email
Automatic or Manual Car
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2007, 05:54:12 pm »

haha driving w/ 2 feet is awkward.

zurielshimon

• View Profile
Automatic or Manual Car
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2007, 03:34:39 am »

haha driving w/ 2 feet is awkward.

I have three words, then:  Heel to Toe
Dustin

vcfan

• View Profile
    • Email
Automatic or Manual Car
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2007, 08:52:52 am »

i don't understand.

tylor2000

• View Profile
Automatic or Manual Car
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2007, 09:10:29 am »

i don't understand.

I think he is talking about an automatic and you are talking about a stick shift.  Could be wrong.

vcfan

• View Profile
    • Email
Automatic or Manual Car
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2007, 09:54:11 am »
Quote from: "tylor2000"
I think he is talking about an automatic and you are talking about a stick shift.  Could be wrong.

haha well i'm talking about an automatic... and how i just don't like driving uphill in la. that's all. hahaha.

tylor2000

• View Profile
Automatic or Manual Car
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2007, 10:49:23 am »
Quote from: "tylor2000"

haha well i'm talking about an automatic... and how i just don't like driving uphill in la. that's all. hahaha.

8O ok, well, dustin you can continue your ridicule now.  :lol:

zurielshimon

• View Profile
Automatic or Manual Car
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2007, 11:11:41 am »
I've driven both, and you can use heel-to-toe on either.  It's where you use your left foot for a moment to control both the brake and the accelerator.  I've had to use it a few times.

But if you're driving an automatic, it shouldn't be so much of an issue.  Automatics have a torque converter that never completely disengages when you come to a stop (unless you shift it into neutral), so rolling back shouldn't be a problem.  At least, it's never been for me, and I've driven in lots of hills.
Dustin

vcfan

• View Profile
    • Email
Automatic or Manual Car
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2007, 08:48:52 am »
I've driven both, and you can use heel-to-toe on either.  It's where you use your left foot for a moment to control both the brake and the accelerator.  I've had to use it a few times.

But if you're driving an automatic, it shouldn't be so much of an issue.  Automatics have a torque converter that never completely disengages when you come to a stop (unless you shift it into neutral), so rolling back shouldn't be a problem.  At least, it's never been for me, and I've driven in lots of hills.

there's actually a specific hill that i'm talking about in la. it's on la cienega(?) and sunset blvd. there's a stop light at the top of the hill... and i HATE it. it's fine if it's a green light cuz you just drive right through. but if it's red, i get nervous if there's a car too close behind me because when i take my foot off the brake for .5 seconds the car rolls back. ya know? no? whatevs. hahaha.

NoelleNC

• You aren't tryin'
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Noelle1822
    • View Profile
Automatic or Manual Car
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2007, 09:29:19 am »
Won't you like get kicked in the face in LA for not switching to a Prius by now? Sheesh, come onnnn get with the trend =P

Jessica

• VCUBs
  • You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
Automatic or Manual Car
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2007, 03:27:44 pm »
Quote from: "NoelleNC"
Won't you like get kicked in the face in LA for not switching to a Prius by now? Sheesh, come onnnn get with the trend =P

lol well a mini cooper is as fuel efficient as you'll get in a gasoline only running car... 30 miles per gallon.. and as for the prius, everyone is still driving their gas guzzling SUVs around for no apparent reason other than "they're pretty" so yeah... theres tons of minis around my area
-Ludwig van Beethoven

Jessica

• VCUBs
  • You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
Automatic or Manual Car
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2007, 03:29:04 pm »

there's actually a specific hill that i'm talking about in la. it's on la cienega(?) and sunset blvd. there's a stop light at the top of the hill... and i HATE it. it's fine if it's a green light cuz you just drive right through. but if it's red, i get nervous if there's a car too close behind me because when i take my foot off the brake for .5 seconds the car rolls back. ya know? no? whatevs. hahaha.

your automatic car rolls back?? what the hell do you drive, a tank?? automatics dont roll back unless its a really huge and heavy SUV or something
-Ludwig van Beethoven

vcfan

• View Profile
    • Email
Automatic or Manual Car
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2007, 02:02:29 pm »
Quote from: "Jessica"

your automatic car rolls back?? what the hell do you drive, a tank?? automatics dont roll back unless its a really huge and heavy SUV or something

um i drive a focus. i'm not saying it rolls 20 feet... but it does roll... it's on wheels... it doesn't just stay in place if i don't press the gas.

haha geeeez WHATEVER... the point is that i hate driving on hills that's all.