Author Topic: My Amazon.com review of Heroes & Thieves  (Read 1512 times)

Nessaholic4Ever

• Make me high on lullabies
    • MSN Messenger - none
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
My Amazon.com review of Heroes & Thieves
« on: October 19, 2007, 05:11:48 pm »
I did this when I reviewed Harmonium on Amazon, so I thought I'd do it with Heroes and Thieves, especially now that I've had time to let the album really sink in. Any feedback is welcome.

I have been an avid Nessaholic for about 6 years now, and Vanessa is one of my favorite artists. I'm not going to blather on about how much I love her like I did in my review for Harmonium; instead, let's focus on the topic at hand: Vanessa's absolutely brilliant third album, Heroes & Thieves. They say that the third time's the charm...well, I guess that cliche holds true for Vanessa. Both of her previous albums were amazing, but this one surpasses them easily. Harmonium was particularly stunning, and I applaud V for being able to create a masterpiece that goes above and beyond that record. Heroes & Thieves has a classical-pop sound, a sound that evokes artists like Elton John, Billy Joel, Carole King, and yes, Stevie Nicks, who duets with Vanessa in "The One." Musically, it's gorgeous, layered, and positively uplifting; a rush of sadness, wistfulness, exuberance, and hope. Lyrically, it's honest, powerful, poignant, mature, and poetic. It's the kind of album that becomes the soundtrack to your days. For me, the songs resonate within, and this album keeps me centered, it keeps me grounded, and it keeps me always appreciative and grateful for what I have, courtesy of bittersweet tearjerkers like "Spring Street" and "More Than This." The latter is THE single best song Vanessa has ever written, and it makes for a spectacular finish to a spectacular album. Other tracks, like "My Best" and "Come Undone", keep my toes tapping and flood my heart with joy; while at the same time, filling me with the sweetest kind of melancholy, like nostalgia. Vanessa Carlton is a true artist, and in the words of Stevie Nicks, she is "one of the great ones." It's pathetic how underappreciated she is. Heroes & Thieves is a rare work of art that will make you sing, make you dance, make you think, and make you cry. Buy this now, and discover real, passionate, stirring music from a someone with real talent.

Keep creating, Vanessa. I'll keep listening.
I waste the days away
Waiting on a new age
But time betrays me
And I get older one more year

Suicidalboobs

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
My Amazon.com review of Heroes & Thieves
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2007, 05:24:12 pm »
i definetely agree. very good review. thanks for doing that!