Author Topic: Piano Players: Advice Please?  (Read 2949 times)

Morgan

• Your true colors shown
    • MSN Messenger - deeperthansurface@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
Piano Players: Advice Please?
« on: October 26, 2007, 10:18:09 am »
Okay, so this question is directed at the piano players who make their own songs on piano. I was just wondering the different ways how you get started on your songs. Because I have like, 12 songs that I'm extremely proud of, but only three of them I have piano for.
Do you hear the song in your head and play it on piano?
Do you just pick a random note and see where it goes from there?

I'm not sure how to shape my technique for that, so if I could hear others' techniques, try them, and shape my own technique around mixing and changing what works for me, that would be so helpful.
That's what she said.

ste_uel

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2007, 11:27:14 am »
sometimes I just let my hands do all the work, but try Some sort of piano part, like a chord progression or cool riff, something catchy.

me and my piano---tim

• I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2007, 11:05:27 pm »
damn sometimes I sit down and just fool around at the piano and a little riff will come up and ill just build off that, however my mind thinks it should go next.

sometimes I combine a bunch of random riffs that I've wrote over the course of a week or so. It's weird how when I combine them it's like they were supposed to be written all at once.

sometimes I'll be feeling an intense emotion and I'll go to the piano and say "I want to write this emotion." This is how I wrote my first song, and when I feel this way emotionally is when I write songs most quickly and naturally.

If you want to check out some of my songs, i have a space at myspace.com/timothyheyer

Morgan

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2007, 11:47:09 am »
Quote from: "me and my piano---tim"
damn sometimes I sit down and just fool around at the piano and a little riff will come up and ill just build off that, however my mind thinks it should go next.

sometimes I combine a bunch of random riffs that I've wrote over the course of a week or so. It's weird how when I combine them it's like they were supposed to be written all at once.

sometimes I'll be feeling an intense emotion and I'll go to the piano and say "I want to write this emotion." This is how I wrote my first song, and when I feel this way emotionally is when I write songs most quickly and naturally.

If you want to check out some of my songs, i have a space at myspace.com/timothyheyer

Cool, I'll do that.
I guess also once I get better at piano (I'm doing royal conservatory grade 4 this year, so I'm not that great yet), it'll come easier. I haven't even studied scales yet. Two weeks ago me and my piano teacher started looking at what grade I should be in, and I guess we decided on grade 4 this wednesday. Pretty cool.
That's what she said.

NoelleNC

• You aren't tryin'
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Noelle1822
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2007, 07:03:53 pm »
The stuff I like usually comes out as a fluke as I'm trying to improve something I've come up with that I don't really like all that much. Sometimes what I like will be a variation of what I originally had, but usually it ends up totally different. But I don't know much about music, so I can't really say how I do it technically. I do know that I usually either write the bridge last or omit it if I can't figure out anything for it at the time.

Morgan

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2007, 01:35:05 pm »
Quote from: "NoelleNC"
The stuff I like usually comes out as a fluke as I'm trying to improve something I've come up with that I don't really like all that much. Sometimes what I like will be a variation of what I originally had, but usually it ends up totally different. But I don't know much about music, so I can't really say how I do it technically. I do know that I usually either write the bridge last or omit it if I can't figure out anything for it at the time.

Writing the bridge last would definately make sense. I understand how hard it is to describe technique. I don't even know how I came up with what I did rather than goofing off.
That's what she said.

me and my piano---tim

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2007, 08:39:59 pm »
fuck.... technique is a scary topic i'm trying to avoid. i'll have to learn some theory soon im sure if i want to get any better, but i mean I don't even know what key my songs are in. it's kinda lame

PianoGirl4444

• Fine as dandelions
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shannonthomas.net
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2007, 09:16:00 pm »
fuck.... technique is a scary topic i'm trying to avoid. i'll have to learn some theory soon im sure if i want to get any better, but i mean I don't even know what key my songs are in. it's kinda lame

That can really work to your advantage, in some ways.
Cross paths with what you used to have. You've gotta learn that you've gotta earn
The fantasy
:: shannonthomas.net ::

me and my piano---tim

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2007, 01:13:19 am »
Quote from: "PianoGirl4444"

how do you mean? are you saying that I'm free of some constraints?

PianoGirl4444

• Fine as dandelions
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shannonthomas.net
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2007, 09:03:03 am »
Quote from: "PianoGirl4444"

how do you mean? are you saying that I'm free of some constraints?

Basically.  You accidentally think outside the box.   :lol:
Cross paths with what you used to have. You've gotta learn that you've gotta earn
The fantasy
:: shannonthomas.net ::

me and my piano---tim

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2007, 09:48:59 pm »
right on. im okay with that.